Turning The Ballot Box Against Republicans

Baldimo

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 11:07 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
The dead hand of the more troglodytic of the founding fathers fucked the country up with the E;lectoral Collaege, as it has done every time it has interfered in an election

We have never had an election decided by popular vote, it has always been the EC. To say that EC interfered with the election shows your ignorance of the Constitution.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2017 12:27 am
@Baldimo,
The longer you post the more your lack of understanding of the constitution shows. Keep up the good work.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2017 12:36 am
@Baldimo,
Quote:
We have never had an election decided by popular vote, it has always been the EC. To say that EC interfered with the election shows your ignorance of the Constitution.

This is precisely the kind of simplistic response I expect from you, Baldimo. In fact the EC's vote is directly dependent on and conditioned by the popular vote. The electors are robots, as an election it's a farce, because they're told how they have to vote, and that is based directly on the popular vote. 48 states and DC are "winner-take-all" states. Electors are supposed to vote for the winner of the popular vote. 30 states--that's 60%--mandate that by law.The Constitution is silent on how theyvote or how they're counted, but that's the way the system has evolved.

The problem lies in the fact that all states, hence all voters, are not equal. Some, in states with smaller populations, have a much more powerful vote than others, and to may, including me, that is a prima facie violation of our founding principle of equal rights under law. And whisker-thin margins, tens of thousands out of tens=of=millions, a fraction of a percent, in several states can swamp millions of votes in other states, under winnter-take-all, which aksi seens a ckear violation of equal rights. There are a fair number of wasy the Founding Fathers screwed up. This is another one. Not their fault. They were doing something never done before, and it's naive to think they'd hit everything right first time out of the box. As T, Jefferson said, they should have scrapped the Constitution every twenty five years and written a new one based on what theyd' learned in the interim. There's no good reason two centuries on for a voter in Montana to have two or three times as much political power as one in Californie (I've seen figures where people argue it's more like 6 to 1). That's not what this country is all about.

georgeob1

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2017 08:22 am
@MontereyJack,
Clearly the Founding fathers should have consulted you. Unfortunately you were not there. You are certainly entitled to your opinions about all this. However they do not reflect the reality of our constitution, law and tradition.The country was formed as a Federal Union of sovereign states.

You do not speak for us all, even though it sometimes appears you imagine you do.
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2017 08:38 am
@georgeob1,
You don't speak for us all either. I do, however, speak for the majority who rejected Trump. You don't. You also pay no attention to the fact that the REALITY of what we are todayis in manyh ways different than one particular faction of founding fathers envisiioned, The federalists today represent one faction of the FFs, but one faction only. Voting over the last two centuries has evolved to be far more democratic. It's NOT the system of two hundred years ago. The country is not what it was two hundred years ago. The electoral college is a direct antithesis of the modern ideal of equal rights under the law, and the ideal of one person one vote. It's antiquated and it should be junked, just like state legislators choosing our senators was junked a century ago.
Frugal1

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2017 08:39 am
Jack should be junked.
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2017 08:41 am
@Frugal1,
Response moderated: Personal attack. See more info.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
georgeob1

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2017 09:03 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

,,,, I do, however, speak for the majority who rejected Trump. You don't. ....

You don't speak for them either.

Unlike you I don;t presume to speak for anyone but myself.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2017 11:33 am
@Frugal1,
You fit that to a "t". *Tiresome.
Baldimo

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2017 11:47 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
In fact the EC's vote is directly dependent on and conditioned by the popular vote.

The popular vote in each state.

Quote:
The electors are robots, as an election it's a farce, because they're told how they have to vote, and that is based directly on the popular vote.

The popular vote in each state.

Quote:
Electors are supposed to vote for the winner of the popular vote. 30 states--that's 60%--mandate that by law.The Constitution is silent on how theyvote or how they're counted, but that's the way the system has evolved.

Each state controls how they work their EC votes. If states want to divide their EC vote, then that is up to them. It falls into the states right category as there is no mention of how EC works at the state level in the Constitution.

Quote:
The problem lies in the fact that all states, hence all voters, are not equal. Some, in states with smaller populations, have a much more powerful vote than others, and to may, including me, that is a prima facie violation of our founding principle of equal rights under law.

Want you want is mod rule, plain and simple. Isn't part of the purpose of the Constitution to protect the weaker group from mob rule?

Quote:
And whisker-thin margins, tens of thousands out of tens=of=millions, a fraction of a percent, in several states can swamp millions of votes in other states, under winnter-take-all, which aksi seens a ckear violation of equal rights. There are a fair number of wasy the Founding Fathers screwed up. This is another one. Not their fault. They were doing something never done before, and it's naive to think they'd hit everything right first time out of the box. As T, Jefferson said, they should have scrapped the Constitution every twenty five years and written a new one based on what theyd' learned in the interim. There's no good reason two centuries on for a voter in Montana to have two or three times as much political power as one in Californie (I've seen figures where people argue it's more like 6 to 1). That's not what this country is all about.

This is precisely the kind of crybaby response I would expect from a Hillary voter. Guess what MJ, my vote didn't count for **** but you don't see me whining about it. The EC vote for my state went to Hillary, my personal vote went to Gary Johnson. When the vote doesn't flip your way, then it isn't fair and it needs to be changed? How about the next time you run a better candidate, that's what I hope for the Libertarians.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2017 02:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Response moderated: Personal attack. See more info.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2017 10:38 pm
@Frugal1,
Well Frugal, you pissed Monty off enough that he retaliated with something that the moderators kicked out. Too bad they dont pay closer attention to you.
gungasnake

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2017 12:32 am
$1.2B USD to try to elect a female version of Al Capone to the white house...

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2017/01/09/ouch-clinton-failed-presidential-bid-cost-12-billion-n2268991?utm_source=thdailypm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl_pm&newsletterad

With just one caveat i.e. Al Capone was not a war monger..... Nobody could make this **** up.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2017 12:39 am
@gungasnake,
Don't sell yourself short. I think you are the Steven King of nut ball theories.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2017 07:37 am
@RABEL222,
The HATE is strong in MJ.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2017 09:12 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C12-9gZWQAAHSoo.jpg:large
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2017 10:27 am
Not just the worst US president. Bork Obunga is the worst leader any group of 10 or more apes, hominids, or humans have ever had since the day of Alley Oop.

0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2017 08:35 pm
If it makes you feel any better, James Comey is going down
http://www.palmerreport.com/opinion/makes-feel-better-james-comey-going/829/

I wonder if James, under oath, will reveal the GOP members who paid him to negatively influence our elections?
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2017 09:07 pm
C-SPAN coverage mysteriously overtaken by Russia state television
https://thinkprogress.org/cspan-rt-russia-today-97502f1426b9#.cd6ml1sf7