that effort for support?

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2015 08:35 am

1) Does "that effort for support" mean "that effort seeking for support"?
2) Does "maintaining insurgence" mean "putting down insurgence"?

Context:

The Government of the United States has a clear consciousness that its policy neither is nor could be reactionary, but at the same time it adheres to the course which it adopted at the beginning, of abstaining everywhere from propagandism and unlawful intervention. It strives to do equal and exact justice to all states and to all men and it relies upon the beneficial results of that effort for support at home and for respect and good will throughout the world.

Nations do not exist for themselves alone, but to promote the welfare and happiness of mankind by benevolent intercourse and example. It is in this relation that the United States regard their cause in the present conflict with slavery, maintaining insurgence as the cause of human nature, and they derive new encouragements to persevere from the testimony of the workingmen of Europe that the national attitude is favored with their enlightened approval and earnest sympathies.

I have the honor to be, sir, your obedient servant,

Charles Francis Adams

More:
http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/iwma/documents/1864/lincoln-letter.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 380 • Replies: 5
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
dalehileman

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2015 11:14 am
@oristarA,
10 No, it means "abstaining from propagandism as a basis for, or in hope of, support"

Ari I'm continually impressed by your persistence and resolve
contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2015 11:44 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
1) Does "that effort for support" mean "that effort seeking for support"?

The Government of the United States [...] strives to do equal and exact justice to all states and to all men and it relies upon the beneficial results of that effort (i.e. the effort to do equal and exact justice) for support (to create support amongst populations) at home and for respect and good will throughout the world.

Quote:
2) Does "maintaining insurgence" mean "putting down insurgence"?

Maintaining insurgence as the cause of human nature - having as fixed policy that insurgence (rebellion) (against injustice) is the natural behaviour of humans.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 05:55 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

10 No, it means "abstaining from propagandism as a basis for, or in hope of, support"

Ari I'm continually impressed by your persistence and resolve

English is an excellent language in the world, isn't it? Confused
McTag

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 09:21 am
@oristarA,

It strives to do equal and exact justice to all states and to all men and it relies upon the beneficial results of that effort for
1. support at home, and
2. for respect and good will throughout the world.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 10:53 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
English is an excellent language in the world, isn't it?
Doubtless Ori that it's one of the most complex
0 Replies