Comma vs Colon vs Semicolon

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2014 08:33 pm
Should I use a comma, colon or semicolon before the word “allowing” in the sentence below? I am not sure which option is grammatically correct.

"The winner will also get to announce their hair saloon’s name, address and launch date during the award ceremony, allowing people from all over the nation to come enjoy the winner’s hair saloon for years and years to come."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,181 • Replies: 7
No top replies

neologist

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2014 12:14 pm
@Grammar Learner 112,
Grammar Learner 112 wrote:
"The winner will also get to announce their hair saloon’s name, address, and launch date during the award ceremony, allowing people from all over the nation to come enjoy the winner’s hair saloon for years and years to come."
Serial comma added. Comma before 'allowing' is correct. I wonder what sort of beverage I might expect in a hair saloon.
contrex

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2014 12:17 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
Serial comma added.

The serial comma is not compulsory and would be omitted in a large part of the English speaking world.
neologist

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2014 01:28 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
The serial comma is not compulsory and would be omitted in a large part of the English speaking world.
True.

But I was more concerned with the hairy navels I might encounter in the saloon.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2014 02:00 pm
@Grammar Learner 112,
Gram see Neo above with whom I concur in spite of recent tendency unfortunately away from the comma per Con

Shouldn't that be "salon" tho
izzythepush

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2014 02:33 pm
@Grammar Learner 112,
A good trick to knowing whether or not a comma or a semi-colon is appropriate, (colons precede lists) is to turn the two clauses into two sentences. If both could stand alone as sentences, use a semi-colon, if not use a comma.

The winner will also get to announce their hair saloon’s name, address and launch date during the award ceremony. This stands alone as a sentence.

Allowing people from all over the nation to come enjoy the winner’s hair saloon for years and years to come. This does not stand alone as a sentence.

As only the first clause would work as a sentence, use a comma.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2014 03:06 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
recent tendency unfortunately away from the comma per Con

There has not exactly been a "recent" tendency away from the serial comma, Dale. I know a majority of US style guides (but not all) mandate it, but outside the USA there are more opposing voices and it is unusual in British and Commonwealth English. The controversy has been going on since before 1700 AD.

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2014 03:07 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Shouldn't that be "salon" tho

More likely to see a hairy navel in a saloon than in a salon.
0 Replies