Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2014 06:21 pm
I'm a sixteen year old boy and I've had my job at a Target Starbucks for a few months now, and I usually work with this other boy. To cut to the chase, he's probably the nicest cutest guy I've ever met and I really like him. The only problem is, I'm not 100% sure he's gay, even though we kind of flirt and act like a couple. I've never heard him talk about past relationships and I really want to ask him out, but I don't want to make it awkward between us if he's not gay. So what should I do? I have work tomorrow, and I want to ask him then, so suggestions now would be nice Smile Thanks!

victorcarjan

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2014 09:22 pm
@con82912,
Heterosexual people don't ask if the person they want to ask out "are you hetero?" that would be awkward. Usually a better question that is also typical is 'do you have a bf/gf"

Heterosexual people take the same risk asking someone out only to find out they don't like heterosexual.

I think this matter on romantic interest is universal to any lines people may sub-divide by sexual preferences. That is a purely physical category and does not include things like emotion or feeling:

So--Wouldn't the only awkward thing be the question itself? I'd figure it should be treated the same way 2 heterosexual co-workers would handle it right?
chai2

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2014 09:49 pm
@victorcarjan,
victorcarjan wrote:

Heterosexual people take the same risk asking someone out only to find out they don't like heterosexual.

The level of of risk is not the same for a hetero person. A straight person doesn't have to worry about the consequences of outing themselves.

To the OP, I'd just invite him to go somewhere on a friendly basis, and see gage what happens when you're in a non work situation.

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 06:52 am
@con82912,
One thing about dating people where you work (regardless of age or sexuality, I might add), is that it can be uber-awkward if it doesn't work out.

But I'm with chai - ask him to something friendly and noncommittal. You may find he's a nice guy but he's het. Cool, you made a friend. You may find he's a nice guy and he's gay but he's taken or won't date people he works with. Cool, you made a friend and there's potential there (but live your life; don't pine and don't wait. If it happens, great. If not, then you still have a friend, yes?). You may find he's a nice guy and he's gay and he is interested. Excellent! Have fun, you crazy kids.

Or you might find out he's a jerk. But that's semi-cool, too, as you will have dodged a bullet.

Good luck with it all.
0 Replies