Are there any peaceful muslim nations?

vikorr

Mon 17 Oct, 2016 02:42 pm
@perennialloner,
vikorr wrote:
Is it your position that:
- all westerners will & should sit quietly by while Islamic Terrorism in the west ever increases? Do you think this is a probable outcome?
perennialloner wrote:
That's not my position at all. My position is that people shouldn't make Muslims feel unsafe in the countries they live in and focus on condemning the people responsible for the problem. Islam and the average Muslim are not the people responsible for the problem.
That's my position too...but you completely avoided the question, which was about human nature (hence the emphasis on ALL people). Ie. do you expect a % of people will not sit quietly by while Islamic Terrorism in the west ever increases? Do you expect it likely that the percentage who will not sit quitely, will grow, if the amount of Islamic terrorism grows?

vikorr wrote:
- you expect all people to trust a government that says 'they aren't muslims'...when they've been muslim all their lives?
perrenialloner wrote:
I don't care if the government calls them Muslims or not. It's a matter of perspective. I care that Muslim as a label isn't seen as the same as a terrorist just as Christians aren't seen as the equivalent of the KKK.
avoided the question yet again...but yes...and that distinction would only be accepted once they started talking about the problem. They aren't, and they are losing the trust of the people - because their response doesn't match what is happening in the world, and so, it doesn't seem honest.

vikorr wrote:
- you expect all people to trust a government that can't stop terrorist attacks?
perrenialloner wrote:
I expect that people don't kill people for being Muslim.
avoided the question again

vikorr wrote:
Trust is essential to a government dealing with this in the most effective way...and they are losing it in many demographics of society.
perennialloner wrote:
You think more people will trust the government if it takes to profiling Muslims?
Avoided the question yet again.

You also avoided the affect of the loss of trust in all those questions put together.

As I said...you have no workable answers (workable answers are not just responses without substance) to why this is occurring, just slogans, complaints, and avoidance.
vikorr

Mon 17 Oct, 2016 03:07 pm
Should anyone want to understand what is happening in regards to Islams contribution, I would recommend, for reading, the following, books:
- explaining what Islam is, and what Sharia (Law) is
- some reading of the Quran (Quran.com for example)
- some reading of the Hadiths (can be found online)
- the life of Mohammed (if you read the first suggestion, you will realise why this is important)
- the history of Jihad, from Mohammed till now
- anything explaining the theological foundations of Jihad
- anything on Saeed Qtub
- The Islamist by Ed Hussein (biography of his radicalisation and de-radicalisation)
- The Radical by Maajid Naawaz (same)

If you wish specific things on Foreign Policy & the ME,
Clash of Fundamentalisms by Tariq Ali is interesting (although it's a shame he couldn't tone down his hate of the US)
All the Shahs men
CIA Legacy of Ashes
Anything on T E Lawrence (an interesting way to read foreign policy)
Anything on Afghanistan and the founding of Al Qaeida
Anything on the founding of Israel, and it's history (easy at first glance, but actually quite difficult)

Anyone who wishes to add to the list, feel free to do so.
0 Replies

vikorr

Mon 17 Oct, 2016 03:43 pm
@sky123,
Quote:
If in your mind terrorism is just summarized into a simple minded, bigoted, brainwashed man having a bomb and trying to blow it up between the crowd, yes I admit that you see it more from radical Muslims than western people.
Ugh. Where does one start with such statements:
- Terrorism comes in many forms?
- This thread is about Islamic terrorism, what part the religion plays, and how to deal with it?
Quote:
But the kind of terrorism that we see from west and on top of that from America, is different and by far more tricky because they can conceal the reality by their dominant media..
Yep. Just because I'm critical of Islams role in Islamic terrorism, doesn't mean that I'm not critical the Western 'foreign policy'. The history of US foreign policy alone contains a lot of ugliness, and decisions that contributed to the death of at at least 1 million, people, but likely many more. It's simply a different thread.

Closer to home, I'm critical of the founding of Indonesia (how it was founded - with 500,000 deaths), the genocide that was occuring in East Timor (prior to independence, 230,000 deaths), the genocide that is occuring in West Papua (no figure known), and the US and Australia's complicit silence (West Papua contributes between 1/4 - 1/5 of Idonesian GDP, through mines). I am critical of Australia's impoverishment of East Timor since (East Timor being extremely rich in natural resources, but still one of the poorest countries on earth)...but all that too is a different thread.

Quote:
The discussion is too long and I am reluctant to speak about things that disconnect us rather than connect us..
I doubt it will disconnect us - I've done a lot of reading into western interference in the Middle East. Also I find you one of the more articulate and considered people on this thread. I'm happy for people to disagree with me, when they show they actually have knowledge of a subject, and are open to discussion (because we can both look at the same thing and arrive at different conclusions).
sky123

Tue 18 Oct, 2016 02:06 pm
@vikorr,
Thank you but:
Quote:
It's simply a different thread.

I am not agree with you.
You (not you vikorr, I am generally speaking) cannot say Iran is trying to get nuclear bomb while you've built hundreds of them already and you are holding them in your warehouses and say that's another topic while that topic will never arise because your dominant media will never allow it by all the means and tricks that they know and have. You are the biggest seller of weapons to the world. ISIL is using your weapons and then say Iran is evil.
Right?
So, you cannot attack all Muslims by attributing what radical Muslims do to Islam and when they reply you back say that's another topic.. It's simply not another topic because they are both connected to each other. One makes the other and vice versa.

vikorr

Tue 18 Oct, 2016 04:11 pm
@sky123,
Quote:
So, you cannot attack all Muslims by attributing what radical Muslims do to Islam and when they reply you back say that's another topic.. It's simply not another topic because they are both connected to each other. One makes the other and vice versa.
Ah. You haven't read far enough back in my posts. My interest started after 9-11, where I wondered my Arabs hated the US so much. To me, religion and differing cultures weren't enough for the hate. I found a long history of Western, and then US 'interference' in the Middle East. The cost in lives of that interference was enormous. I began to understand the contributing factors behind the hate. So much of what you have said, I either agree with, or can understand your perspective.

Funnily enough, my interest in the contributing factors didn't really go much into the religion until a number of years later, after several events started occuring around the world associated with Al Qeida (or similar), and Islam. I noticed clips of Osama, (and the cleric who radicalised the Bali bombers) lecturing about the religion. So I became curious what part the religion played.

The reason, to me, your topic belongs to another thread is this: this thread (or my take on it, and I am the one it seems, who keeps this thread going) is about why terrorism is occurring in the name of Islam...and the various issues arising from this aspect of the events.

The political 'interference/invasions/coups/dictator support/Israel etc', and other contributing factors (like the internet) certainly play a part in why Terrorism is occurring like it is today, but the common thread, around the world (not just in the Middle East), is that so much of it is being done in the name of Islam (shown when they shout Allahu Akbhar or similar). So the question is, why are they doing it in the name of the religion?

Sundry question include: Why are they coming from around the world to fight for IS. Why are they radicalising in countries that have previously been tolerant towards them. Why are even educated Muslims becoming radicalised? Why are even the sons & daughters of privileged Muslims becoming radicalised Islamists?

That is this thread

For me, it's not good enough to take other peoples word simply at face value - particularly if it doesn't match the patterns of what is occuring. To me, the explanation must match the pattern, otherwise the explanation is inaccurate.

Further, I am sure you have noticed...very few people actually want to discuss it. Other than yourself, I can't remember another poster actually posting relevant information as to why it is occurring in the name of Islam.

Most (not yourself) simply try their very best to silence debate, while showing profound ignorance of, and no interest in the holy texts, Mohammed's life, the history of Jihad. Despite this profound ignorance, their refrain is that every one else is ignorant.

If you try debating with someone who knows little to nothing about the subject matter, provides no evidence counter to your statements, refuses to discuss any evidence provided, uses name calling in an attempt to strengthen their position, tries anything they can to silence the debate, attempts to divert the debate onto other topics, and refuses to look into the matter for themselves...this is not you...this is other posters...but think about how you would handle it? If the topic is not at all getting addressed...would you wonder on to other topics?

So one of the reasons to post ongoing terrorism events done in the name of Islam...perhaps people will become curious enough to look into it for themselves.

Quote:
So, you cannot attack all Muslims by attributing what radical Muslims do to Islam
There's a couple of ways to read this.

Do you mean that muslims feel attacked when the violent aspects of the Quran/Mohammed's life/the 1st generation followers - are used by Muslims to commit terrorism in the name of Islam, and then other people want to discuss those violent verses?

If so, I can actually understand that, though it is the right of every person to criticise violent aspects of any ideology, system, or religion...unless of course one lives in a Islamic State, where criticism of the religion is often forbidden.

0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 18 Oct, 2016 05:18 pm
@sky123,
sky123 wrote:
If in your mind terrorism is just summarized into a simple minded, bigoted, brainwashed man having a bomb and trying to blow it up between the crowd, yes I admit that you see it more from radical Muslims than western people.
But the kind of terrorism that we see from west and on top of that from America, is different and by far more tricky because they can conceal the reality by their dominant media..
If you admit that bombarding airliner of a country is terrorism so let's have a search on what America did to Iran air flight 655..

Terrorism always involves the deliberate targeting of innocent civilians. The American warship believed that Flight 655 was attacking them. They fired on it in the belief that they were defending themselves.

sky123 wrote:
If you admit that bombarding civilians is terrorism, so let's take a look at unmanned aircrafts of America in Afghanistan..

American dronestrikes always try to target enemy fighters. There is no deliberate targeting of civilians.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 18 Oct, 2016 05:19 pm
@sky123,
sky123 wrote:
You (not you vikorr, I am generally speaking) cannot say Iran is trying to get nuclear bomb while you've built hundreds of them already and you are holding them in your warehouses and say that's another topic while that topic will never arise because your dominant media will never allow it by all the means and tricks that they know and have.

The world has agreed that the widespread possession of nuclear weapons is a very bad thing. As such they created a treaty where everyone agreed to forego nuclear weapons, and the countries who already had nuclear weapons agreed to draw down their arsenals and eliminate them.

North Korea signed the treaty and then violated it by developing nuclear weapons. However the world responded by placing very strong sanctions on them, so it can't really be said that they've gotten away with it.

Iran also signed the treaty. If they were to violate the treaty and develop nuclear weapons, and if they were allowed by the world to get away with it, it would be the end of the treaty. Anyone else who wanted nuclear weapons would just follow Iran's example and violate the treaty.

On the other hand, if Iran violated the treaty and was then subjected to very strong sanctions like with North Korea, that would preserve the treaty. Other countries that might want to violate the treaty will see that they will face strong sanctions if they violated it, and they will choose to keep complying with the treaty.

If we allow the treaty to collapse, nuclear weapons will spread around the world and it will only be a matter of time until there is a devastating nuclear war.
Krumple

Tue 18 Oct, 2016 05:28 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

sky123 wrote:
You (not you vikorr, I am generally speaking) cannot say Iran is trying to get nuclear bomb while you've built hundreds of them already and you are holding them in your warehouses and say that's another topic while that topic will never arise because your dominant media will never allow it by all the means and tricks that they know and have.

The world has agreed that the widespread possession of nuclear weapons is a very bad thing. As such they created a treaty where everyone agreed to forego nuclear weapons, and the countries who already had nuclear weapons agreed to draw down their arsenals and eliminate them.

North Korea signed the treaty and then violated it by developing nuclear weapons. However the world responded by placing very strong sanctions on them, so it can't really be said that they've gotten away with it.

Iran also signed the treaty. If they were to violate the treaty and develop nuclear weapons, and if they were allowed by the world to get away with it, it would be the end of the treaty. Anyone else who wanted nuclear weapons would just follow Iran's example and violate the treaty.

On the other hand, if Iran violated the treaty and was then subjected to very strong sanctions like with North Korea, that would preserve the treaty. Other countries that might want to violate the treaty will see that they will face strong sanctions if they violated it, and they will choose to keep complying with the treaty.

If we allow the treaty to collapse, nuclear weapons will spread around the world and it will only be a matter of time until there is a devastating nuclear war.

I agree with what you have written here but there is an underline reason NK and Iran ignore the treaty.

They want equal representation in world politics. The only way to join the big boy club is to have nuclear weapons. The world is forced to take you more serious if you have a nuke on hand. The UN doesnt want Iran ir NK to get their ticket to the club.
0 Replies

vikorr

Tue 18 Oct, 2016 09:20 pm
@sky123,
By the way, in relation to the posts of Sayyid Ali Khamenei:

I have never actually seen anything he has written before.

- I found some things I agree with in the first post. As example, he agreed with what I've been saying, about having some knowledge & understanding before making judgement / look into something for yourself, rather than taking anothers word. Some things, I didn't agree with.

- I found his second post to be rather rambling. Some things I sort of agreed with, too many I simply didn't.

In any event, they were an interesting read.
0 Replies

perennialloner

Wed 19 Oct, 2016 11:48 am
@vikorr,
I didn't deny a link between the increase in Muslim-perpetrated terrorist attacks and growing anti-Muslim sentiment. I just think the correlation is because of ignorance and bigotry in the sense that people who resent Islam conflate terrorism done in the name of Islam with Islam.

I don’t see the ignorance in promoting love and respect.

Since you’ve pointed out my ignorance without knowing whether I have or haven’t studied the Qur’an or my experiences in Muslim communities, I’d like to point out yours. sky123, a person whom you respect as far as I can tell, is a Muslim. S/he has dedicated a lot of his or her life to studying Islam and reading the Qur’an and has provided evidence that refutes many of your points about Islam, but you have still disagreed with many of sky’s objections.

I admit my ignorance in terms of both my knowledge of Islam and my ability to understand being Muslim. You too are ignorant of those things but don’t act as if you are. Neither of us can possibly understand the nuances and dynamics of the Islamic religious tradition. You don’t even speak Arabic. And though I get that you don’t think all Muslims are terrorists, you do think (correct me if I’m wrong since I’ve misunderstood you in the past) Islam in some way lends itself to terror. This belief may not be strictly wrong, but I believe Islam lends itself to terror in the same way any principled unifying movement has the potential to. I don’t say this as a denial or apology for Islamic terrorism. I say this because of historical examples that support this idea.

History informs us that the Islamic world is more than capable of cultivating widespread secular movements. We’ve seen them crop up in Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, Turkey, Egypt, Iran, and Tunisia. As you know, multiple factors worked against the success of these movements. In their failure, Islam was always there as another unifying force for frustrated people and idealogues to latch onto.

If we go farther back, we know that violence in the Islamic world wasn’t greater than in other empires.
So what exactly makes violence by others less dangerous or less threatening? Because their warriors don’t yell God every time they stab the enemy? I really don’t see how Christians who bombed abortion clinics didn’t bomb them in the name of Christianity. They believe abortion is wrong based on teachings in the Bible. Why is someone shouting “allahu akbar” while committing an act of terror such an important distinction? It could even be argued that a Christian bombing an abortion clinic is more so in the name of religion because the source of the attack is solely based on that person’s Christian morals. The sources of the Muslim’s attack are more obscure. He might have said “allahu akbar” but the attack was perhaps in response to things that happened in Afghanistan.

There’s a reason why there are Christians and communists in the Middle East who support and/or are involved in terrorist operations; they share similar goals as their Muslim counterparts. They recognize that these organizations emerged because of Western interference, NOT because the Qur’an tells Muslims to take over the world and kill non-believers.

I think that terrorist leaders tried their best to convince themselves that using violence is okay, and found justification for that wherever they could. Islam is a pervasive identity that these leaders could rally around.

Even Buddhist Monks have justified violence and killed a lot of people. They are killing people right now. There’s also scripture and the theme of Compassionate Killing in Buddhist thought that support their justification for killing people. Like Jihad, Compassionate Killing is open to interpretation.
Krumple

Wed 19 Oct, 2016 02:02 pm
@perennialloner,
perennialloner wrote:

Even Buddhist Monks have justified violence and killed a lot of people. They are killing people right now. There’s also scripture and the theme of Compassionate Killing in Buddhist thought that support their justification for killing people. Leike Jihad, Compassionate Killing is open to interpretation.

Nonsense. I challenge you to find where in the dharma it talks about compassion killings. There is no such thing in Buddhism. Ive studied buddhism for over twenty years and have explored a lot of different schools of buddhism.

These people doing these attacks are not buddhists. Just to claim you are a monk or put on robes doesnt make you a Buddhist.

If you call your self a painter but have never painted doesnt make you a painter.
perennialloner

Wed 19 Oct, 2016 05:13 pm
@Krumple,
Quote:
The Upayakausalya Sutra tells the story of one of the Buddha’s former lives, where he is captaining a ship carrying five hundred merchants. One night, ocean deities come to him in a dream and identify one of the passengers as a bandit who is planning on killing the merchants. Buddha evaluates three possible actions: do nothing and allow the bandit to kill everyone; inform the merchants, who would kill the bandit and incur evil karma for murder; or kill the bandit himself.

The Buddha dwells on this ethical dilemma for seven days, trying to decide who should be murdered—apparently just locking up the bandit was not an option—and eventually decides to murder the bandit himself. In keeping with the principle of compassion, this is framed not as retribution for evil, but as compassionately sparing the bandit the horrible karmic consequences of mass murder, and allowing him to be subsequently reborn in paradise.

Even more troubling is the way this sutra distinguishes between allowing the merchants to kill the bandit in anger, and the Buddha’s murder with “great compassion” and “skillful means.” The explicit lesson here is that a truly enlightened bodhisattva is willing to do something evil in the name of a good that only he knows, but we shouldn’t be confused by this! The very fact that it is evil is a sign of his great compassion—the Buddha is generous enough to murder the bandit and endure the karmic consequences of an additional one hundred thousand aeons2 before he can become fully awakened, sparing the bandits and the merchants from evil karma.

http://www.metareader.org/post/compassionate-violence-in-buddhism.html

Quote:
The story is double-edged. Killing protects others from the horrific karma of killing. At Harvard in April 2009, the Dalai Lama explained that "wrathful forceful action" motivated by compassion, may be "violence on a physical level" but is "essentially nonviolence". So we must be careful to understand what "nonviolence" means. Under the right conditions, it could include killing a terrorist.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2011/may/11/buddhism-bin-laden-death-dalai-lama

So... Buddhists can justify killing anyone they deem bad.

Of course it'd be wrong to say militant Buddhists represent Buddhism, just as it is wrong to say Muslim terrorists represent Islam. Nonetheless, both have used religion to support their cause.
0 Replies

vikorr

Wed 19 Oct, 2016 05:54 pm
@perennialloner,
Quote:
I didn't deny a link between the increase in Muslim-perpetrated terrorist attacks and growing anti-Muslim sentiment. I just think the correlation is because of ignorance and bigotry in the sense that people who resent Islam conflate terrorism done in the name of Islam with Islam.
You 'don't deny'...you just have been previously writing your statements to avoid actually agreeing - you skirt around the issue. Even here:
- the blue you are admitting the link between increasing terrorism, and increasing resentment. But at the same time,
- with the Red, you are implying that all the 'people who resent islam' already existed.

Quote:
I don’t see the ignorance in promoting love and respect.
There's no ignorance whatsoever in promoting love and respect. These are good things (unless you are loving & tolerating intolerance). And yet, even here....we see you skirt around, and rephrase the valid reasons I gave for ignorance. Which were:

- a lack of knowledge about: the Quran, the Haddiths, the history of Jihad, the theological foundations of Jihad etc.

Quote:
S/he has dedicated a lot of his or her life to studying Islam and reading the Qur’an and has provided evidence that refutes many of your points about Islam, but you have still disagreed with many of sky’s objections.
This again shows your ignorance of Islam.

It is a very fractured religion, in terms of beliefs. Many things she believes, many other Muslims strongly disagree with. Many Sunni, and particularly the Wahhabis, go so far as to call her an unbeliever. Activist Islamists tend to call everyone else unbelievers too.

My disagreements with her a not because her version is correct or incorrect, but because the Muslims who do commit terrorist acts in the name of Islam, also have a valid version, founded in their holy texts, the life of Mohammed, and the example of his early followers...which is the version at issue that is contributing to terrorism in the name of Islam.

Quote:
I admit my ignorance in terms of both my knowledge of Islam and my ability to understand being Muslim. You too are ignorant of those things but don’t act as if you are.
There are plenty of aspects of the religion that I am ignorant of. Your issue is one that you fall for frequently:

- you think talking about an portion = talking about all. This is simply and utterly, illogical.

Yet you apply this to me talking about the Muslims who commit terrorism in the name of Islam to me somehow equating this with me talking all Muslims. You equate me talking about / having knowledge of the violent aspects of the religion, with me claiming to know about every aspect of the religion (which of course I never have)

Perhaps you need to look at why you are engaging in the behaviour you have exhibited in the past few posts to me (the behaviour I keep pointing out)
vikorr

Wed 19 Oct, 2016 06:11 pm
@perennialloner,
Quote:
And though I get that you don’t think all Muslims are terrorists, you do think (correct me if I’m wrong since I’ve misunderstood you in the past) Islam in some way lends itself to terror. This belief may not be strictly wrong, but I believe Islam lends itself to terror in the same way any principled unifying movement has the potential to. I don’t say this as a denial or apology for Islamic terrorism. I say this because of historical examples that support this idea.
Wonderful of you to found your belief in admitted ignorance.

It's not worth much though, if you don't go and look into it for yourself.

For example, what would you say if the 'White Supremacist Skinhead Holy Book' said:
- a couple of hundred times 'White Supremacist Skinheads are winners, and everyone else are losers'.
- Blacks are dogs, pigs, cows, haters, corrupt, liars, monkeys, vile creatures
- don't believe anyone else about a White Supremacist Skinhead
- don't be friends with Blacks, and don't take commands from them
- and if that 'holy book' spent and inordinate amount of time addressing 'blacks' in such a way

...Would you agree with their holy book and embrace such 'tolerance'?

Because if you replace 'White Supremist Skinhead' with 'Muslim', and 'Blacks' with 'Jews, Christians, and unbelievers'...you will find that in the Quran (I've previously posted some links, or you can look for yourself)

The Quran by the way, is supposed to be the direct revelations of God (in dreams) through just one man.

As a note, I use 'White Supremacist Skinhead' not to equate Muslims with them, but because people understand WSS ideology as intolerant. And as each concept can be judged on it's own merits (as well as part of a whole), if you found those concepts disturbing for White Skinhead Supremacists, it would require double standards to not find it disturbing in the Quran.

There is of course more to it, it being written so long ago. Yet bows can be drawn one both sides when perceiving similarities..
vikorr

Wed 19 Oct, 2016 06:34 pm
@perennialloner,
Quote:
If we go farther back, we know that violence in the Islamic world wasn’t greater than in other empires.

So what exactly makes violence by others less dangerous or less threatening? Because their warriors don’t yell God every time they stab the enemy?

The foundation of the religion (Mohammeds life, the Quran, the Haddiths) Surah 9, and the concept of Jihad, and the validation of Surah 9 through their actions of his 1st-8th (or so) generation followers

And though not as direct:
- the theologically based method of subjugation (dhimmitude),
- the loss of the right to free speech (many places it is an offence to criticise Islam, with theological foundation for such)
- the loss of legal rights (in many places, in a court of law, you are not be believed over a Muslim, based on verses in the Quran)
- the loss of interest in investigating offences by muslims against non-muslims (how does one investigate if you cannot believe say, the word of a non-muslim victim, 5 non muslim witnesses, over the word of a single muslim?)

If you wish to see the effect of such, there are several Islamic States with such laws.

Quote:
I really don’t see how Christians who bombed abortion clinics didn’t bomb them in the name of Christianity.
That they were. I'm critical of them too.

Quote:
Why is someone shouting “allahu akbar” while committing an act of terror such an important distinction?
It clearly identifies that the terrorism is being done in the name of the religion.

I would point out again, as I have many times throughout this thread, that I find no violence done in the name of any religion acceptable.

PS. If I missed anything you really want me to answer, please post it again - this is already too much text.
0 Replies

perennialloner

Wed 19 Oct, 2016 06:46 pm
@vikorr,
Quote:
You 'don't deny'...you just have been previously writing your statements to avoid actually agreeing - you skirt around the issue. Even here:
- the blue you are admitting the link between increasing terrorism, and increasing resentment. But at the same time,
- with the Red, you are implying that all the 'people who resent islam' already existed.

I don't think I implied that at all. "The people who resent Islam" refer to the people who have come to resent Islam as a result of Islamic terrorism. If that could've been clearer, I apologize. English is not my first language. Arabic is.

Quote:
There's no ignorance whatsoever in promoting love and respect. These are good things (unless you are loving & tolerating intolerance). And yet, even here....we see you skirt around, and rephrase the valid reasons I gave for ignorance. Which were:

- a lack of knowledge about: the Quran, the Haddiths, the history of Jihad, the theological foundations of Jihad etc.

Again, you have assumed I know nothing about the Qur'an or Ahadith.

Quote:
It is a very fractured religion, in terms of beliefs. Many things she believes, many other Muslims strongly disagree with. Many Sunni, and particularly the Wahhabis, go so far as to call her an unbeliever. Activist Islamists tend to call everyone else unbelievers too.

In no way does that show my ignorance of Islam. I was trying to make the point that you cannot understand the nuances and dynamics of the Islamic tradition as she can. Her understanding provides insight into the way people have interpreted Islam and whether or not those interpretations are valid based on the textual evidence.

Quote:
There are plenty of aspects of the religion that I am ignorant of. Your issue is one that you fall for frequently:

- you think talking about an portion = talking about all. This is simply and utterly, illogical.

Yet you apply this to me talking about the Muslims who commit terrorism in the name of Islam to me somehow equating this with me talking all Muslims. You equate me talking about / having knowledge of the violent aspects of the religion, with me claiming to know about every aspect of the religion (which of course I never have)

I admitted in my previous post that I've misunderstood you in the past. And explicitly said "I get that you don't think all Muslims are terrorists."

As for your other conclusion, I never said anything of the kind. I never claimed that you know every aspect of the religion. I was pointing out that the knowledge you apparently have (of the violent aspects of the religion) is not sound. You're not a scholar who has dedicated the time necessary to truly understanding Islam in relation to the Qur'an. You don't speak Arabic. Simply stated, I do not trust what you say about certain verses and sayings promoting violence. To me, they are a bunch of words that may have well been taken out of context or distorted in translation. I think it'd be very wrong of me to assume without the appropriate knowledge that they make Islam inherently/scripturally more violent.

Quote:
Perhaps you need to look at why you are engaging in the behaviour you have exhibited in the past few posts to me (the behaviour I keep pointing out)

I engage in this behavior because you have taken issue with what I've stated before. I now aim to clarify what I mean. I don't believe that Islam lends itself to terror any more than other principled movements. It's something I feel strongly about, and something you don't believe. And that's primarily what my last post was about. I think that socio-political context almost exclusively has to do with terrorism. If you look at the origins of these Islamic terrorist organizations they can be traced back to specific occurrences. I think that under the right (wrong) circumstances people from any religion can use their religion to justify terror and that no religion is more prone to terror.
perennialloner

Wed 19 Oct, 2016 07:18 pm
@vikorr,
Quote:
As a note, I use 'White Supremacist Skinhead' not to equate Muslims with them, but because people understand WSS ideology as intolerant. And as each concept can be judged on it's own merits (as well as part of a whole), if you found those concepts disturbing for White Skinhead Supremacists, it would require double standards to not find it disturbing in the Quran.

You compared the Qur'an to the White Supremacist Skinhead handbook, if that exists.

I am very much aware of the intolerance expressed in parts of the Qur'an and the Ahadith, as I am aware of the intolerance expressed in the Old Testament. In Deuteronomy, God calls for the mass killing of Canaanites. You however have decided to ignore intolerance in other religion, and compare pluralistic Islam and its complex text, the Qur'an, to White Supremacy which has one clear objective.
vikorr

Wed 19 Oct, 2016 08:00 pm
@perennialloner,
perennialloner wrote:
In no way does that show my ignorance of Islam.

Serves me right for thinking you would follow the entirety of your own conversation. The full context of what you said was:
perennialloner wrote:
Since you’ve pointed out my ignorance without knowing whether I have or haven’t studied the Qur’an or my experiences in Muslim communities, I’d like to point out yours. sky123, a person whom you respect as far as I can tell, is a Muslim. S/he has dedicated a lot of his or her life to studying Islam and reading the Qur’an and has provided evidence that refutes many of your points about Islam, but you have still disagreed with many of sky’s objections.

Ie. you were using my disagreeing with her as evidence of ‘ignorance’. I was pointing out how even other Muslims disagree with her. Some so drastically that they do not consider her Muslim. So surely you must be ignorant of this, if you use such disagreement as evidence of ignorance?

And disagreement itself cannot be used as evidence of ignorance. As I've mentioned so many times throughout this thread...I'm happy for people to arrive at a different conclusion, if they take the time to learn and understand it for themselves.

perennialloner wrote:
I was pointing out that the knowledge you apparently have (of the violent aspects of the religion) is not sound. You're not a scholar who has dedicated the time necessary to truly understanding Islam in relation to the Qur'an. You don't speak Arabic.

There is both Quran.com and NobleQuran.com in English, dedicated by Muslims to the translation of the Quran. Things may not translate fully from one language to another, but there are plenty of people prepared to explain them. The Haddiths are also translated into English. Mohammeds life is well written about. The History of Islams expansion is documented.

Further, as I mentioned previously, my approach to life has always been to look at, and understand patterns. The explanation must match the pattern, or it is inaccurate (that doesn’t mean that a complex pattern has a simple answer). What you will find about such patterns is that to find them, you have to avoid double standards (which always lead to inaccurate explanations), you need to consider all contributing circumstances, and you need to consider human nature & perceptions, and you need to consider cause and effect.

A workable answer usually has all of these involved.

As I’ve mentioned many times, I don’t mind if people don’t trust my version of things, so long as they look into for themselves, and come to their own, (workable) conclusions.

Quote:
I don't believe that Islam lends itself to terror any more than other principled movements.
Not sure what you mean by principled movements, but events in the world show an escalating movement of terrorism in the name of Islam. In the West, what you say is simply not true - there is no other affiliation that is engaging in any where near as much terrorist attacks. No one I know of, can currently see an end in sight for it.

In the Middle East, the American Govt behave as thuggish idiots without long term sight. They do things that have resulted in the deaths of, at least hundreds of thousands, but probably closer to 2-3 million if you consider long term flow on effects - all because they want wealth and supremacy (and too often their actions have returned to bite them). The Australian govt are idiots for supporting them, and my guess is the reason they do, is they are terrified of the loss of American support.

Quote:
Again, stop trying to have me talking about all of the Quran/Hadith, when I am addressing a portion. In the area I am talking about I assume you know little or less, yes. Your responses don't show knowledge of it.
vikorr

Wed 19 Oct, 2016 08:08 pm
@perennialloner,
Quote:
You compared the Qur'an to the White Supremacist Skinhead handbook, if that exists.
I doubt such a book exists, and you could replace them with anything else that is known for Intolerance. The point is made purely to highlight the double standards (relating to intolerance) that exist between the discussion of Islam, and the discussion of just about any other subject. People defend Islams intolerant side with tenacity (in any other book, people would call it hate speech/supremacist speech)....but are happy to denounce any other form of intolerance.

This type of behaviour is hypocritical.
Quote:
I am very much aware of the intolerance expressed in parts of the Qur'an and the Ahadith, as I am aware of the intolerance expressed in the Old Testament. In Deuteronomy, God calls for the mass killing of Canaanites. You however have decided to ignore intolerance in other religion, and compare pluralistic Islam and its complex text, the Qur'an, to White Supremacy which has one clear objective.
Again, you haven't read far enough back in this thread.

The old testament contains many vile, and downright evil stories. One of the worst is the story of children calling Elijah an old baldy, and 'God' sent a she bear to kill them...42 children. If this was God's work, then he/she did an evil thing. Not that the flood, calls for killing of the Caananites or many other stories were much better.

I don't defend or excuse the violence committed in the name of God, either by Christians, nor by Muslims, not in the Old Testament, nor in the Quran.

I don't use any comparison to minimise, nor as excuse or justification of violence in the name of religion.

Once again, no violence in the name of any religion is acceptable.
0 Replies

vikorr

Wed 19 Oct, 2016 08:39 pm
@vikorr,
perennialloner wrote:

Quote:
Again, stop trying to have me talking about all of the Quran/Hadith, when I am addressing a portion. In the area I am talking about I assume you know little or less, yes. Your responses don't show knowledge of it.
As a note - having thought about it, I can see how you would arrive at such a conclusion, if you took my writing in isolation from the context of the conversation (about violence in the name of Islam)
0 Replies