Ben BradleeBradlee remembered, By Roberto Scalese

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 10:03 am
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/2014/10/22/how-newspapers-across-the-country-honored-journalism-legend-ben-bradlee/CKA8jaUBTmKbNCqbGvkepK/story.html

ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 07:01 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I wonder if a career like this could happen now.

RIP Mr. Bradlee
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 07:02 pm
@ehBeth,
Don't know the answer to that. He was one of a kind.
farmerman

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 05:16 am
@Lustig Andrei,
The wshington Post had a very gutsy owner (Mrs Graham). She used the huge ad revenues to build the Wash Post into a world class newspaper.
The ad revenue they collected was huge as DC became a pricey world center of fancy commerce during the 60's
I met Mr Brdlee as a student when I was part of a grad- student science thing that took place in DC (this was during the WatergTE YEARS). My opinion of him was that he was a pompous self-congratulatory person who just LOOVED to drop that fact that he was HAHVAHD trained every two minutes into a conversation.

It was Mrs Graham who, wisely built and directed the influx of revenues and who then OPENED the paper into one of the best papers in the world.
Gene Weingarten may be the only remaining voice of that era (I think Woodward and pal are retired)

We still get the Sunday Post and its but a wasted skeleton of its past glory. Bradlee couldn't stem that fact. (The Post still has one of the best Sunday funnies on the planet)

Most papers have languished into just printing crap and garbage from these "Bloggerss" who aren't really skilled reporters or writers.
I think were gonna have to live through a period of a "Blogosphere" style of reporting where everyone will be famous for 15 minutes and then someone will discover a formula in which skilled reporting and writing will once again flourish.

I digress
0 Replies