Comma or no comma or it depends

FortOtt

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2014 05:43 pm
Cardinal Gibbons High School consisted of a twenty-six-acre facility with a campus style setting in the heart of a well-established, upper class residential area known as the Coral Ridge subdivision of Fort Lauderdale.

Comma or no comma after well-established?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 1,405 • Replies: 16
No top replies

One Eyed Mind

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2014 06:03 pm
Cardinal Gibbons High School consisted of a twenty-six-acre facility with a campus style setting in the heart of a well-established{}__ upper class residential...

FIGHT THE POWER. GRAMMATICAL ANARCHY ">> If people can type like "yo, sup. k, idk")() WE CAN REMAKE ENGLISH WHILE WE'RE AT IT "<:<()
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2014 06:09 pm
@FortOtt,
Using a comma after well established is correct.
0 Replies

Bazza6

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 03:28 am
@FortOtt,
You write:
"...High School consisted of a twenty-six-acre facility…"

"consist of" refers to two or more parts or things, yet 'facility' is singular.

The sentence seems long, with all the detail being given. You might try:

The twenty-six acre Cardinal Gibbons High School had/boasted a campus style setting in the heart of THE well-established, upper class residential area OF Coral Ridge, a subdivision of Fort Lauderdale.

Cuts out a few words.
0 Replies

FortOtt

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 10:54 am
@FortOtt,
Comma or no comma after 1985?

I still remember attending my uncle's high school graduation on Friday, May 24, 1985, when I was a kindergartener at Saint Coleman.

Thank you.
Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 11:14 am
@FortOtt,
The use of commas is a matter of style, not of grammatical rules. The trend over the last several decades is to use fewer commas. In this case, although i would use commas as you have done, it is not really a matter of correct of incorrect.
0 Replies

FortOtt

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2014 11:58 am
@FortOtt,
Do I need to put a comma after four-year?

Cardinal Gibbons High School was a four-year Roman Catholic college preparatory school established by Archbishop Coleman F. Carroll on 4601 Bayview Drive in Fort Lauderdale.

Thank you.
FortOtt

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2015 07:57 pm
@FortOtt,
It had been almost a year and a half since my mother took my sister, my brother, and I to live with her parents in Fort Lauderdale after a major argument she had with my father.

Do I need a comma between I and to?

Thank you.
McTag

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 05:44 am
@FortOtt,

I'd probably put it in but you don't need one there.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 05:48 am
when i'm writing a long sentence i prefer to us

e a coma to break things up
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2015 11:44 am
@FortOtt,
FortOtt wrote:

Do I need to put a comma after four-year?

Cardinal Gibbons High School was a four-year Roman Catholic college preparatory school established by Archbishop Coleman F. Carroll on 4601 Bayview Drive in Fort Lauderdale.

Thank you.

You really don't need it.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2015 11:47 am
@FortOtt,
FortOtt wrote:

It had been almost a year and a half since my mother took my sister, my brother, and I to live with her parents in Fort Lauderdale after a major argument she had with my father.

Do I need a comma between I and to?

Thank you.

You don't need the comma after brother, nor do you need one before "to," but you need to change "I" to "me."

"My mother took me," not "my mother took I."
0 Replies

FortOtt

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 07:31 pm
@FortOtt,
The Oxford Comma

With the Oxford Comma

We invited the strippers, JFK, and Stalin.

Without the Oxford Comma

We invited the strippers, JFK and Stalin.

Why don't I need the Oxford Comma after brother in the following sentence, or do I?

It had been almost a year and a half since my mother took my sister, my brother and me to live with her parents in Fort Lauderdale after a major argument she had with my father.

If I don't put a comma after brother, doesn't it make it sound like my sister is my brother and me?

Thank you.
FortOtt

Reply Mon 29 Feb, 2016 05:52 am
@FortOtt,
bump
0 Replies

toddhicks209

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 03:55 am
It was correct and necessary to add the comma. Also, you should put a hyphen between "upper" and "class" - it's necessary to do this when two words combine to form an adjective.
gijoefan1976

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 10:20 am
Because Deangelis's views and Experiences differ from my own views and experiences, this is why disagree with her.

Do I need this comma?
0 Replies

FortOtt

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2016 08:49 pm
@toddhicks209,
I have this feeling that I need a comma after me, as well. Do I? Would it be wrong?

It had been almost a year and a half since my mother took my sister, my brother, and me to live with her parents in Fort Lauderdale after a major argument she had with my father.
0 Replies