Do we need "be" verb here ?

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 06:13 am
The lecture proved to be a waste of time because we couldn't hear .
When questioned by the committee he retracted all his previous claim .
So the both 2 sentences has omitted the " be " verb which should be added before "prove " and " questioned", but I can see this is much convenience in spoken English , but how about the formal writing ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 613 • Replies: 19
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 10:27 am
@Arafat ,
Ar, English is my native tongue but after a lifetime of journ I'm baffled by the asserted requirement for "be," either spoke or writ

Edited to observe you might mean not "be" but "being." Still don't know of any requirement but maybe somebody more deeply into grammatical technicality will respond
0 Replies

Bazza6

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 12:10 pm
@Arafat ,
Firstly, let's clean up the English.

"When questioned by the committee, (COMMA) he retracted his previous claim ."
or
"When questioned by the committee, (COMMA) he retracted all OF his previous claimS ."

"So the both 2 sentences…": 'both' = two; so why do you write 'both 2'?

"So both sentences HAVE omitted the " be " verb, (comma) which should be added before "prove " and " questioned". I can see this is convenient in spoken English , but how about IN formal writing ?"

We need to include 'to be' in sentences where we wish to avoid ambiguity. Look at these sentences, and say what the difference is:
"Most Americans consider Beverly Hills, a ritzy suburb to the north of Los Angeles, a desirable place to live."
"Most Americans consider Beverly Hills, a ritzy suburb to the north of Los Angeles, to be a desirable place to live."
(You post your reply, I'll respond).
The two (FULL) forms of your second sentence are:
"When HE WAS questioned by the committee, he retracted his previous claim ." (Passive Voice, Past Tense)
When HE WAS BEING questioned by the committee, he retracted all of his previous claims ." (Passive Voice, Past Progressive Tense)

Setanta

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 12:14 pm
You want to write ". . . all of his previous claim s." No, you would not use the verb "to be" in the places you have indicated.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 12:16 pm
By the way, Bazza's English is piss-poor. I advise you to ignore anything Bazza says on the subject.
Bazza6

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 12:19 pm
@Setanta,
PLEASE POINT OUT WHERE MY ENGLISH IS "piss-poor"……..or damn well apologise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bazza6

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 12:43 pm
@Bazza6,
Just so Setanta knows, I have sent him a PM asking for an apology.

If none is forthcoming, I will report this to the Moderator.

All he has to do is point out is where and how my English is "piss-poor" to vindicate himself.
Setanta

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 12:47 pm
After i made my post, you added an "s" to claim in the sentence ending " . . . all of his previous claim." I guess you think peiple around here are stupid. Adding commas is not a matter of English, it's just punctuation. It may surprise you to learn that commas are used in other languages.

There is no ambiguity in the first sentence about Beverly Hills.

Finally, there is no need for "being" in the second example sentence you provided. Also, it it highly unlkely that a native speaker would say "firstly," although not entirely unlikely.

If you claim to be a native speaker of English, then i would not only say that your English is piss-poor, i'd say you were lying.
Setanta

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 12:50 pm
@Bazza6,
I don't need to "vindicate" myself. When you report to the moderators, you might also tell them that i consider you a goofy son of a b*tch.

Don't send me any more private messages, loon.
0 Replies

Bazza6

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 01:19 pm
@Setanta,
So - let's look at this. I PROOFREAD, and found that my typing fingers had been lagging behind my brain, which was thinking ahead to what I still needed to say, and omitted an "s:
SETANTA REPLIES:
After i (NOTE) made my post, you added an "s" to claim in the sentence ending " . . . all of his previous claim."(NOTE: 'to claim…what?' The object of Setanta's verb 'claim' is missing.) I guess you think peiple (NOTE:spelling of 'people') around here are stupid. Adding commas is not a matter of English, it's just punctuation. It may surprise you to learn that commas are used in other languages. (Is punctuation not a part of the English language? I prefaced my response by saying, "Let's clean up the English."- grammar, syntax,, punctuation.)

There is no ambiguity in the first sentence about Beverly Hills.
(Of course there isn't……if that was the writer's intended meaning!!!!. Perhaps if you had not thought you are such a know-it-all, you would have learnt what the potential ambiguity is, and how the use of 'to be' avoids it!!!!!!!)

Finally, there is no need for "being" in the second example sentence you provided. Also, it it highly unlkely that a native speaker would say "firstly," although not entirely unlikely.
(Funny - I especially chose to write 'firstly' rather than 'first' because of my knowledge of English!)
If you claim to be a native speaker of English, then i (NOTE: no capitalisation) would not only say that your English is piss-poor, i'd (THIS IS GETTING TEDIOUS - AGAIN, NO CAPITALIZATION) say you were lying.

I HAVE REPORTED SETANTA TO THE MODERATOR.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 01:25 pm
@Bazza6,
Quote:
Good luck Baz
Bazza6

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 02:07 pm
@dalehileman,
SETANTA has emailed:

"I advise you not to hold your breath while waiting."

GAME ON!

If you can scrutinise my English, my responses to questions……………..
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 02:20 pm
@Bazza6,
Claim in that sentence is a noun, not a verb. The rest of your drivel doesn't deserve a response. Except at the beginning of a sentence, i never capitalize the first person singular pronoun. You'll just have to live with that.
Bazza6

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 02:34 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta writes:
After i made my post, you added an "s" to claim (in the sentence ending " . . . all of his previous claim.")
AAHHH! Now I understand. It'a Setanta's personal brand of punctuation:
In English, he would have written:
"...you added an "s" to "claim". (That's how we avoid ambiguity such as this, Setanta)
"i never capitalize the first person singular pronoun. You'll just have to live with that."

THAT IS A MESSAGE TO ALL IN THE FORUM: Setanta has his own rules of grammar. So - there is:
(i) English
and
(ii) Setanta English

Choose which you wish to learn.
neologist

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 02:37 pm
@Bazza6,
Bazza6 wrote:
Without Setanta, a2k would be Borrrring!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 02:49 pm
@Bazza6,
Capitalization is not a matter of grammatical rules.
Bazza6

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 02:53 pm
@Setanta,
POINT OUT WHERE I MENTION "grammar' or 'grammatical'?

I reiterate: I wrote, "Firstly, let's clean up the English."
(Note: 'English', not "Setanta English'.)

To neologism: are you in the forum for idle amusement, or to learn impeccable English?
Let's look at the logic of this so far:
Setanta tells us that he writes his own brand of punctuation.
Can he reassure us, nevertheless, that his grammar is kosher Oxford/Cambridge? Or is all that you write in this forum just 'Setanta English'?
You've told us you have your own form of punctuation (and that me, Oxford and Cambridge will "just have to live with that.") Tell us: is your grammar also …

SETANTA GRAMMAR?
neologist

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 03:41 pm
@Bazza6,
Setanta and I often disagree to the point of calumny
But I would never doubt his intelligence
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2014 12:42 am
@Bazza6,
What an idiot--capitalization is not a form of punctuation, nor is it a form of grammar. I did not at any time say that i write my own form of punctuation.
0 Replies

Arafat

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2014 04:04 pm
@Bazza6,
"Most Americans consider Beverly Hills, a ritzy suburb to the north of Los Angeles, a desirable place to live.
this surburb is ready for ppl to move in
"Most Americans consider Beverly Hills, a ritzy suburb to the north of Los Angeles, to be a desirable place to live."
this suburb might be under constrcting , not available for ppl to live ....

This is just my guess.....and if im right ..this still cant solve my confusion about the omitting of "to be" .
u have given me the full forms for my sentences ....but one thing ..i saw these 2 sentences from a essay which published on a news website (i consider that news paper writer r always correct on gramma ......) ....so i guess it is acctepable to omit "to be " sometimes ..right ?
BTW....saw u and another guy fighting due to some reasons......hmmmmm dont know what to say .......ja
0 Replies