Fix me up with her.

SMickey

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 09:12 am
Does the expression above refer to romantic relationship only?

I was having a chat in English with a friend of mine,
and he mentioned he was learning how to play guitar from a guy in his 60s.

Much interested in that myself, I just said in English,
"Hey, I also want to learn that. Fix me up with him so that I can see him later."

Thinking probably the idiom I used might be somewhat weird in that situation,
I looked up the dictionary to realize that the expression has something to do with expecting a blind date or something like that.

I, male, surely didn't mean I was looking forward to a romantic relationship with an old man. I just want my friend to let me see him to talk over playing guitar.

There is little chance my choice - 'fix me up with him' - is likely to sound natural, isn't there?

Would you please help me get a better understanding?
Thanks for reading.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 775 • Replies: 15
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by SMickey
chai2
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 10:56 am
Although it would be understood you didn't have a romantic interest in the instructor, I think a native English speaker would have said "set me up with him"

That though, would have indicated you wanted your friend to actually make an appointment with the instructor for a lesson for you.

If I were in your situation, I would have said "Can you give me his contact information?" That indicates you yourself will do the work of setting up a lesson. However, when you contacted the instructor, you would be free to say "My friend John gave me your contact information" That way, if John gets a referral discount, or any other benefit, you've told the teacher upfront.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 05:58 pm
@SMickey,
My younger friends would probably have said something like "hook me up with his deets" - which means they want their friend to provide the contact information for the other person.

Go with chai's response for a more mature option.
chai2

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 06:01 pm
@ehBeth,
I used to say "hook me up"....Then I realized (here at least) that had the connotation of meeting up with someone for sex.

I would get some weird looks from younger people, and I got a clue.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 06:11 pm
@chai2,
I hooked up with her has a different meaning than hook me up with her deets (at least here).

You definitely have to be careful to have the whole thing in context.
chai2

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 06:23 pm
@ehBeth,
What are deets?
ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 06:26 pm
@chai2,
details

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 11:53 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I used to say "hook me up"....Then I realized (here at least) that had the connotation of meeting up with someone for sex.

"Hook me up" just means "connect me with" - the purpose of the hooking up need not be sexual. If I asked an intermediary to hook me up with Joe Bloggs who has a used Honda for sale, or Jane Smith because she is head of finance at a company I deal with, etc, nobody will suppose that I am planning on seducing them. Except maybe teenage boys with a hormone excess.

SMickey

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2014 09:38 am
@chai2,
Okay. The phrase 'give someone the contact information' could be better recommended, ruling out any possibility of confusion. Thanks.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2014 02:37 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

chai2 wrote:

"Hook me up" just means "connect me with" - the purpose of the hooking up need not be sexual. If I asked an intermediary to hook me up with Joe Bloggs who has a used Honda for sale, or Jane Smith because she is head of finance at a company I deal with, etc, nobody will suppose that I am planning on seducing them. Except maybe teenage boys with a hormone excess.

We're not in the same country contrex. Remember, I come from a place where a little kid can say fanny and doesn't get his mouth washed out with soap.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2014 02:41 pm
@chai2,
And your ass is our donkey.
Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2014 02:43 pm
Fix me up would be the appropriate locution to indicate arranging a meeting or a date with someone. Hook up definitely means arrange a sexual liaison. That's in the United States, the largest concentration of English speakers on the planet--almost 300 million out of a world-wide population somewhat more than 360 million. The U.S. rules, Britannia drools.
Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2014 02:45 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Chai is a married person of the lady persuasion--it was really crass to talk about her . . . well, you know . . . .
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2014 02:45 pm
@Setanta,
We're too busy learning Russian, just in case.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2014 02:48 pm
@Lordyaswas,
поздравления
Cool
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2014 03:18 pm
@ehBeth,
Pendramwnwgl chwyrligwgan popty ping. Embarrassed
0 Replies