Drank more water this past week than past year and barely urinating

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 09:49 am
So I drink(drank) a lot of soda. In the area of 2 2-Liter bottles a day. never diet, always regular coca-cola. Could go days without drinking any actual water. Milk, juice, anything but water. I'm 30, aside from 1 year in my army life, this has been at least since high school.

Decided to make a change last week and I started drinking 2 2-Liter bottles of water every day (I work outside and it's around 85 in the shade) and as soon as I made the change I noticed that my trips to the bathroom cut down by at least half. I can work an entire 9 hour shift, and then some without needing to pee, and when I do it's a very small amount comparably. My morning pee is very small in comparison to before, and the color hasn't changed much from the deep yellow it was. It is definitely not clear.

What could I be concerned with? or does this sound pretty normal? I'm not exactly sure what normal urination would be as I've always ignored water so this is kinda new.

chai2

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 10:29 am
@donnybrook11,
Your body is probably heaving a sigh of relief that you're finally giving it something it can work with.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 10:44 am
@donnybrook11,
Your body is having to detox from the sugar, sodium and caffeine.

Your goal is to get the color of your urine to be almost colorless or a very light yellow. The dark brownish yellow is an indication of severe dehydration.

I do not work outdoors, but I do sweat a lot. I have to drink about 80 ounces of water a day to keep my urine color in the good hydration zone. With that, I probably pee 4 or 5 times in a 24 hour day.

Since you work outdoors, I will bet you need a larger volume of water. About 70% of your fluid intake should be water.

Do you take daily vitamins? If not, consider it.

When is the last time you saw your doctor and had a physical? Been checked out for prostate health?

Get a check up, if for no other reason than to get a baseline picture of your current health status so you can measure the benefit or lack of benefit from changes you make in your nutrition.
chai2

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 10:56 am
@Butrflynet,
His kidneys have been working overtime for a long time.

The water intake will give them some rest.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 12:05 pm
@donnybrook11,
As long as you have no chest pains or problems breathing or swollen enough to have trouble buttonin clothes, keep going. Color of urine has many causes and I'd google that.

The real question: how do you feel?
Germlat

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 12:17 pm
@donnybrook11,
Coca-cola (classic) is caffeinated beverage . That's probably the reason for increased urination. If you don't have fluid retention/puffiness and feel ok...you're fine. You also get rid of water by sweating and even breathing. Many physical processes require water/ moisture. Drinking water is better for you. Your teeth will last longer too. Smile
0 Replies

donnybrook11

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 12:19 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Today I actually had a really bad episode with chest pain, dizzyness, and a general "cloudy vision" feeling. I attributed it to indigestion ( that I get, and I've had a 8/10 stress day yesterday and today)
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 12:51 pm
@donnybrook11,
In my professional opinion: keep drinking water, don't drink any sodas.
chai2

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 01:19 pm
@donnybrook11,
donnybrook11 wrote:

Today I actually had a really bad episode with chest pain, dizzyness, and a general "cloudy vision" feeling. I attributed it to indigestion ( that I get, and I've had a 8/10 stress day yesterday and today)

Have you been checked for diabetes recently (meaning in the last month)?
Go to the doctor and get a physical.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 01:20 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

In my professional opinion: keep drinking water, don't drink any sodas.

You better be careful offering a professional opinion here.

To the OP, we are NOT professionals in the field of medicine, and cannot over medical advice. See the TOS.
Germlat

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 03:39 pm
@chai2,
The signs of Diabetes don't match his symptoms. With the initial presentation of Diabetes he'd have increased urination, thirst and hunger...
Germlat

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 03:43 pm
@donnybrook11,
Indigestion shouldn't cause dizziness or visual disturbances. Go to your doctor!! Your problem may be cardiac in nature.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 03:52 pm
Get some lab work done.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 05:33 pm
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

The signs of Diabetes don't match his symptoms. With the initial presentation of Diabetes he'd have increased urination, thirst and hunger...

He still needs to get checked for diabetes.
Germlat

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 06:37 pm
@chai2,
Why do you think it's Diabetes?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 07:21 pm
@donnybrook11,
You must've gained at least 25 pounds! LOL
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 07:49 pm
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

Why do you think it's Diabetes?

I don't necessarily. But he needs to be checked for it. It's a standard blood test, as you know.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 07:57 pm
@chai2,
Good advise; I didn't think about that.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 09:53 am
@chai2,
Problem is...that for it to be justified as an insurance claim, it has to be based on symptoms. If it's in America, there's more wiggle room. In a socialized medicine country, not as much. One could argue it's insulin resistance...with all the sugar consumption (Coca-Colas). That could lead to an overly reactive pancreas causing hypoglycemia . But---most physicians would go by history and symptoms. Still--- I think hyperinsulinemia could be quite deceptive ...still it couldn't cause chest pain.
0 Replies

Redbird537

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2014 08:56 am
@donnybrook11,
I would think that 1 gallon of water per day (the recommended 8 8oz glasses) would be more beneficial to your health than the same amount of soda, especially since you're working outside. I'm not a medical professional, but if you've been drinking that much soda for so long, your risk of heart attack could have been elevated, or could have caused painful acid reflux. Keep track of your symptoms (perhaps in a notebook) and visit your doctor as soon as you can.
0 Replies