Help with a slogan

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 10:18 am
I make products out of beeswax, honey etc. I have a slogan. I need to know if the slogan is grammatically correct. I know rules are different with slogans.
Here it is: "INGREDIENTS FROM THE HUMBLE BEE"
should it be of or from?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,168 • Replies: 11

jespah

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 10:21 am
@brian7754,
Use from. Of makes it sound like you make your products out of bee parts (wings, legs, stingers, etc.).
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 11:05 am
"From" and "of" still might confuse some people into thinking there are bits of bees bodies in there, so maybe a whole new slogan should be thought up, something like "INGREDIENTS PRODUCED BY THE BUMBLE BEE"

PS- and 'Bumble' sounds a bit better than 'Humble' doesn't it?
brian7754

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 11:23 am
@jespah,
thanks
0 Replies

brian7754

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 11:25 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
bee's produce honey and beeswax, so the ingredients are from them. you still think "from" is better than "of" right?
roger

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 11:32 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
You ever seen bumble bee honey?
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 11:32 am
@brian7754,
"From" is better than "of" but I don't like either of them because customers would think "I hope there are not bits of bees bodies in there".
If you go on Dragons Den that's the first thing they'd ask you!
That's why I like "produced by" much better..Smile
neologist

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 12:46 pm
@jespah,
I'll go with ya, Jes. After all, Burt's Bees is a well known brand name. We don't expect their products to contain bee parts.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 02:51 pm
I'm English so maybe we use words differently, but all I know is that if I saw a jar on the supermarket shelf that said-
"INGREDIENTS FROM THE HUMBLE BEE"
or "INGREDIENTS OF THE HUMBLE BEE",

I'd think "What the heck, are there bits of bees bodies in it, and what is a Humble bee anyway?", and I'd put it back on the shelf.
But if it said "INGREDIENTS PRODUCED BY THE BUMBLE BEE", that'd tell me exactly what I need to know, and I'd buy a few jars..Smile
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 04:27 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
How about :"THANKS TO"

http://thesaurus.com/browse/thanks%20to
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2014 04:28 am
How about "This product is the bees knees. (Note contains no actual bees knees or any other insect parts.)"
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2014 10:23 am
Yeah food products have to be very carefully labelled because people are naturally very fussy about what they put in their mouths.
For example in one of his books, actor David Niven tells how when he was in the army he and some fellow officers ordered crates of "green beer" for the mess party, but when it arrived it wasn't clear and sparkling like they'd expected, but was like cloudy green swamp water, and nobody would touch it..Smile
0 Replies