Can a badly performed root canal cause a skin rash?

roupsia

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2014 02:21 pm
My mum suffered with a large gum boil which eventually led to root canal work. The dentist said she could not reach the very tip of the nerve. This was nine months ago. The gum boil is still there. The socket is very sore. She started to notice a small rash on her collar bone. This has worsened and worsened. She is literally covered all over her body in small angry red spots. She has seen countless drs. She has been back repeatedly to the dentist who charges her each time. She has now been given very strong antibiotics. She is at her wits end with the constant itching and soreness. Any dentist who can advise would be great x
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 3,790 • Replies: 5
No top replies

luismtzzz

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2014 02:29 pm
@roupsia,
There are few dental diseases that could cause a sistemic rash like the one you describe, but they are specific diseases that give many more symptoms that are very characteristic and are easily diagnosed. So i highly doubt that your moms rash has something to do with the dental procedure.

You do not provide basic information about the history of the rash. Dermatological diseases require a close up, physical clinical exploration. I suggest to seek a dermatologist consult. Many dermatological diseases look alike to an unexperienced eye. Skin lesions are common causes of headeache to med students. Dentist are over specialized on thier area so they won´t help you with her disease.

So look for a trustworthy dermatologist. Do not waste more time.
roupsia

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2014 02:32 pm
@luismtzzz,
Thank you, we have an appointment with a dermatologist soon. Other drs have just given her steroid creams which make no difference and antihistamine which again had no affect. We believed at first the rash to be shingles but it isn't/
luismtzzz

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2014 03:01 pm
@roupsia,
That is a common mistake of doctors that have little experience with dermatology (i know some that have almost null experience with it).

Since many diseases are actually cured with steroids they find easy to prescribe them without doing first a correct diagnosis. Steroids can alter the natural history of a disease and mask the real cause.

My first tought was also of shingles but you are correct, even with the few information it does not seems to me like it.
0 Replies

yenikayitlar

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 05:39 am
of course!!
0 Replies

Charles Brown

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 05:54 am
@roupsia,
There can be a possibility of skin rash while performing root canal. Sometimes due to some medicines and some other treatments done on tooth causes some unusual affect on tooth and also causes various types of infection. So it will be very much better if this problem can be checked with proper doctor.
0 Replies