hello

blatham

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 09:01 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
Well, at least a different sort.

You're a young man with many learning experiences ahead. I don't know your age exactly but I do recall you once noting that your grandmother was a go go dancer.
margo

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 03:07 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

That's very kind. We citizens of the British Empire are just a better sort than others.

Yeah...well - we have this Queen, you see. We learn to do thing proper-like!
roger

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 03:40 am
@margo,
And wot she ever do for you?
margo

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 04:16 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

And wot she ever do for you?

Does bugger-all for me. I think we should get rid of her and her dodgy mob.

But, we're stuck with her at present, and likely for a while with this government. If we could think of a use for her, we would!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 04:24 am
Think, Gough Whitlam . . . form a Republic now!
blatham

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 04:55 am
@Setanta,
Think Rupert Murdoch...shoot him now!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 12:43 pm
I'm not a supporter of either of those.

Rupert give me the creeps - and he's a US citizen now, and you're welcome to him.

There has to be a middle way. No fawning royalists and no faux comrades.
blatham

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 06:48 pm
@margo,
Nick Davies, the fearless Guardian reporter most responsible for doggedly reporting on Murdoch's criminal enterprise, News of the World, has just written a book on the slimeball http://bit.ly/1pntAcp
dlowan

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 10:20 am
@blatham,
Still Murdoch laughs all the way to the bank and still the powerful fawn.

= 8 >- (
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 10:25 am
Happy Heritage Day to the Canadians!

Unless you are not happy with your heritage, then sorry.

Joe(a holiday every month except June.)Nation
ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 10:41 am
@Joe Nation,
What?

Nevah hoid of such a thing.

We're having a Civic Holiday here in Ontario aka Simcoe Day (specifically in Toronto).
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 02:26 pm
@dlowan,
Even Brooks escaped this one. But his power and influence in England is now much diminished. That's something. And he'll be dead soon and that's even better.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 02:30 pm
@Joe Nation,
Thanks for the hands-across-the-border recognition of the singularly important day of celebration we Canadians, as Canadians, share. I'm close to tears.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 03:36 pm
When Jane and I moved to Dallas a couple of years ago, she's rented a house that had a few problems. Not least of which were the gutters at the front including the entrance way. They'd been installed with the downpipes uphill and along with that, the added on garage had a lousy foundation so it sank, making the gutter problem worse. And fully one half of the house drained right down over the entry. And the extra weight of the water in the gutters pulled the roof structure above the garage doors down about 8 inches. Every big rain meant a waterfall over the entry and over the garage doors. The prior owner or tenant "solved" the problem by punching a bunch of holes in the bottom of the gutter.

So to fix, I had to jack up the bowing roof structure, put in a support, then tear down and replace all the gutters. But I didn't want ugly downpipes at the entry so this was my solution.
http://bit.ly/1pWy3CZ
ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 03:41 pm
@blatham,
Sing, sing, sing, sing.. ping ping ping ping.

don't talk to me re drainage, Albuquerque is the home of non understanding. (Tears hair)
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 03:45 pm
@blatham,
What a wonderful, wonderful place, Bernie...and the "solution" is from the stars.

I love ya, Buddy.
blatham

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 04:13 pm
@ossobuco,
When I visited, all those homes without gutters looked naked. In a non-horny sort of way.
blatham

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 04:17 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Love ya too, frankie.

The house did not look like that when I arrived, let me tell ya. But I'm a tad OCD on properties where I live or work. I did a ton of remodeling in our New York apartment (I didn't ask for permission), then same with our jewelry store there, then with out store in Portland, then our three homes in Portland, then the Dallas house and now I'm doing it here. One ought to make the place where one is more beautiful.

ps... tip of the hat to Jane for her talented beautification skills as well
ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 04:35 pm
@blatham,
Bob and Diane's house had the concrete graded toward the back door. Mine's worse, and of course I saw it when I bought but expected to have the money to just break it out and fix, which was wrong of me; mine goes toward the back door three different ways. The overhead ill supported roofed crap hanging on by a nail or two over the cracked (don't get me going) concrete in the back of the house is the worst I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot, or so I thought. I've designed all that to LA codes for decades, so it's grieving to even look at. Cute little neighborhood, though.

I highly doubt anyone in the area ever took any engineering/land design, construction design courses. Not to mention planning.

On your bell beauties (I do like them), were there perf drain pipes to the outside - I am presuming so.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 04:37 pm
@blatham,
True, Jane knows styling.
0 Replies