Trying to improve my english

najmelliw

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 06:15 am
@luismtzzz,
luismtzzz wrote:

But it is just listening. And by the way once i get used to the accent causes little problem for me to understand someone. I am quite familirized with the southern US accent. What drives me nuts is the pronunciation problem.

It is really anoying to understand everything a person says, but sounding like a stammerer robot while trying to talk.

I write much better than the way i speak.

Hey luis, I'm not a native English speaker myself. I have a terrible accent, since I'm Dutch and I sound like a German eating a bradwurst while talking when I tackle the english language, which I do with about as much grace and subtlety as a lumberjack wielding a chainsaw to trim the hedges in his garden.

Nevertheless, I don't let these minor setbacks deter me in my goal to stun the whole world (probably quite literally) with my english.
However, if you have a need to speak english for your vocation, as your indication that you read a lot of medical texts seems to imply, apart from the most effective way that ragman suggested, which is, to immerse yourself in speaking and listening to the language as much as possible on a daily basis,
I would suggest the following:

- Listen to english songs, particularly slow ones you are not familiar with. Try to translate the lyrics as you hear them. I found that a good way to pick up more vocabulary in an enjoyable way.
- try to analyze what sentences you say most often during your conversations. I could imagine that, if you have occasion to speak english for your profession, you'll probably gravitate to explaining about certain problems that you may have encountered or not.
If you have a good idea on what words you use most often, try to write down and rehearse some standard sentences with these words in them. It won't take long before those are easy to pronounce, and that allows you in turn to gain more confidence in the way you talk, and might allow you to speak more smoothly and fluently.

Even if you find you can't pinpoint anything in particular you frequently use, the one thing that should be remembered is that most of the spoken language revolves around a limited amount of core words you string together. Not sure how many, perhaps a 1000 or so?
Try to limit your sentences to those at first, and once you use them effectively, you can expand your vocabulary when you speak english.

But who am I to say this anyway? Dutch people with the accent of a German eating bradwurst while spitting out english words have no business helping others expand their own vocabulary. Especially not when you have already the attention of a number of incredible people, who as far as I know are all native english speakers, and whose combined intellect reaches into the 1000's...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 06:30 am
@luismtzzz,
luismtzzz wrote:
Thanks a lot. But that is because i check and recheck and recheck my posts.

And once they are posted i still make a few changes while i still can.

I lost a lot of time doing this. I know that practice and time will help.
But sometimes i still have an uneasy feeling about some sentences i wrote.
If u like, we can point out your errors
and make corrections. Some people don't like that. How do u feel about it??
oristarA

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 07:30 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

luismtzzz wrote:
Thanks a lot. But that is because i check and recheck and recheck my posts.

And once they are posted i still make a few changes while i still can.

I lost a lot of time doing this. I know that practice and time will help.
But sometimes i still have an uneasy feeling about some sentences i wrote.
If u like, we can point out your errors
and make corrections. Some people don't like that. How do u feel about it??

That's too easy, Dave. Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 08:14 am
@oristarA,
That's a kind of slang; in this case, my own slang. People sometimes use the word 'wise' attached to some other word, or after another word, such as money wise or fashion wise, as in "Fashion wise, she wears clothes that are completely out of style". It is used instead of saying "In regard to fashion, she...."

I happen to like word play and sometimes make up my own words. This can throw readers off - so don't always trust me to be speaking correct english usage.

In the example about Farmerman's spelling, I was trying to say he has quite a good reason for not always typing and spelling perfectly. So, when I said spelling word wise, I meant "in regard to his spelling..."
0 Replies

elenahao

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 01:45 am
@MontereyJack,
Hey,you are so kind.
I am also a learner of English.
Would you help me inprove my English also?
0 Replies