RainSoft water softener problems

TLeeM

Sat 21 May, 2005 06:17 pm
HELP!!!! I need to fix my salt water timer
I really have nothing bad to say about my Rainsoft conditioner. When its working, it does a great job of cleaning the water and I feel secure that it will continue to do so. A couple of years ago, we arrived from Germany where the water was so-so to Florida where the water had so many chemical and contaminants that it cause my son to break out with strange rashes and ecsema. We went to the doctors and they told us that it was something with the water that caused. He had to take baths infrequently and we were at our wits ends. When they guy came by to tell us about the Rainsoft system, we were at first skeptical that it could do all those wonderful things that he said. To our surprise, they did. Within a week of having the Rainsoft system, our son stopped having the reactions and is currently bathing normally and has been for the last two years. All of things that the guy said it would do it may or may not be able to do but to say that it is a piece of junk is a little far fetched. ALL of the problem I have had with the thing was usually MY OWN FAULT Crying or Very sad . I can admit it...I tried to reset the salt timer just like the repairman did but it still wouldn't use any salt Shocked . The only beef I have with the system is that the Owner's manual is pretty vague on how to reset the salt timer so that the machine will recognize that I have salt. Question Can anyone tell me in plain English how to reset the timer--I have tried unplugging the unit (like the manual said) and turning the backwash circuit timer one rotation but it still doesn't use any salt. The unit was working before I fiddled with it and now it doesn't (SEE...MY FAULT!!). It has done this before and the guy had to fix it. I would have the guy come out again but he just came out a week before I wanted to change the number of times in regenerated. Can anyone help me, please?
pearlman1966

Mon 30 May, 2005 03:16 pm
I used to work for Culligan.You would not beleive the amount of Rainsoft equipment I replaced while working there.A Rainsoft distributor would open a shop and six months later they would be gone,having left in the middle of the night.
Do yourself a favor if you are in the market for a water conditioner,buy a Culligan Medalist.and by the way I am not being paid by Culligan.I left with some bad blood with management.
endorf

Tue 31 May, 2005 08:07 am
How do I fix this problem?
This is a little off topic. I do not have a rainsoft, but I am having a problem after my unit regenerates. The water coming out of my faucet is brown for several minutes. The unit is a little over a year old. The tech said I need to have the resin replaced. We are 4 people in the house. They put salt in at a regular basis and test water(So they say as I am never around when they come.) This time he was here he gave me a bill for doing a "resup cleanout". What is that? He was only here long enough to add salt.

Sounds like a rip off. Could my tank not be draining after a regerneration, thus causing brown water?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave
Noddy24

Tue 31 May, 2005 01:19 pm
endorf--

Welcome to A2K.

I suggest you post your query as a new thread instead of posting on this one. A new thread will be available to all members instead of only those members who are following the Rainsoft Saga.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Thu 2 Jun, 2005 06:45 am
Re: How do I fix this problem?
Hello, my name is Kevin. I have 17 years of water quality improvement experience.
The first 12 years were spent selling, servicing and installing RainSoft products Shocked

I am now an independent non-franchised small dealer. The name of my company is Homewater Security.
I am here to offer help, suggestion and solutions. I found this site when I googled "RainSoft Service"

endorf wrote:
This is a little off topic. I do not have a rainsoft, but I am having a problem after my unit regenerates. The water coming out of my faucet is brown for several minutes.

Dave, it sounds like you need an automatic backwashing pre-filter. Do you happen to know the PH of your raw water?
A mixture of acid neutralizing media and filter ag or even granulated activated carbon backwashing every single day should help protect your softener.

BTW, Res-Up if used to clean resin than is bound up with Iron.

Good luck.
H2O MAN

Thu 2 Jun, 2005 07:18 am
Re: HELP!!!! I need to fix my salt water timer
TLeeM wrote:
The unit was working before I fiddled with it and now it doesn't (SEE...MY FAULT!!). It has done this before and the guy had to fix it. I would have the guy come out again but he just came out a week before I wanted to change the number of times in regenerated. Can anyone help me, please?

There are at least 5 different control panels on RainSoft softeners. Some of them are not user friendly at all.
Can you provide a picture of the front panel? The complete model number could also be helpful... Most are serviceable.

I just finished refurbishing a 15 year old RainSoft softener valve this evening and will ship it back to it's owners in Michigan tomorrow.
0 Replies

Razordog

Thu 9 Jun, 2005 09:23 pm
H2O_MAN Question ?
You have posted many replys and you sound like you would know?

I posted, earlier about my Rainsoft system not working. I think it is in the computer board, I have a "Q2" Valve Water Treatment System, Model AQ24 "Conditioner". I need to know if there is anywhere to purchase boards for this type of system. I purchased it in 1998 and it has been a great purchase "very nice" system until now. I was not getting any activity with the board, so I replaced the transformer and new 9V battery, thinking this was the problem, nope. It does have power up to and through the fuse.. but no digits, no life in the board....

Help if possible...Thanks
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Thu 9 Jun, 2005 09:28 pm
The Q2 is obsolete.

Try this...
Check the fuse - your system has one.

Pull the plug then pull the battery. Let it sit for at least 5 minutes. Longer is better.
This will allow the computer to reset.

Install a brand new battery, plug it back in and see if it will hold a program.

Is the board housed in black plastic like the one pictured below or is it in a green metal box?

http://www.athenswater.com/images/vinnings_before.jpg
Razordog

Tue 14 Jun, 2005 12:54 am
Yes, it is enclosed in a black plastic box with lid. As for lightening hitting it, I don't thinks so ? Nothing else at the house is effected.

Thanks-RD
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Tue 14 Jun, 2005 05:05 am
Razordog wrote:
Yes, it is enclosed in a black plastic box with lid. As for lightening hitting it, I don't thinks so ? Nothing else at the house is effected.

Thanks-RD

I have one like yours in my shop.

But first - Did you replace the fuse on the unit?
I repaired a 1994 Q last night with a new fuse and a copper top 9V...
Razordog

Tue 14 Jun, 2005 09:50 am
No, I haven't replaced the fuse. I will. I looked at it and it doesn't look burnt or broke, but I will replace it anyway. I also will install a new 9V battery. I will check back, and give my results. It may be a few days, I am in CA a few more days on Vacation.

Thanks for continued HELP-RD
0 Replies

azkirk

Sun 26 Jun, 2005 10:40 am
no brine suction
I replaced the resin in my tank about 7-8 months ago and system was working fine until 2 weeks ago when it stopped using brine. the tank is only about 60% full of resin and carbon mixture. Any Ideas?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Sun 26 Jun, 2005 11:47 am
Re: no brine suction
azkirk wrote:
I replaced the resin in my tank about 7-8 months ago and system was working fine until 2 weeks ago when it stopped using brine. the tank is only about 60% full of resin and carbon mixture. Any Ideas?

Several things can cause this problem.

Is the water level in the salt tank rising or unchanged?
Is the tri-guard empty, full or unchanged?

After checking to make sure all of my connections were secure and the brine line was not cracked or had holes in it..
The first thing I would look at is the brine injector. The little "O" rings go bad and the salt system stops working.
The next thing I would look at is the brine tab and screen.

Was this Ion-X100 resin you replaced and why?
azkirk

Mon 27 Jun, 2005 03:36 pm
ok I will do the best I can describing this as I do not know everything about these. Also is there a parts list with picture that I could use as a reference for your descriptions?
The water level has stopped filling at the drain on the brine. any more and it would spill onto the floor.
I do not know what the tri-gaurd is and will assume that it is the clear plastic jar that has the brine line and another line going to the unit. Yes it is full.
I had just resently replaced the tri-guard that I desribed abouve with a new one and the little white plastic pin injector also.The o- ring looks good.
What would be an easy way to check for line leaks for I do not see any anywhere.
I do not know what the brine tab is and where it is as well as the screen.

The resin I replaced started coming into the house and was no longer good as the rainsoft repair tech had said.
This unit was purchased with the house therefor no longer under warranty. Also the brine I replaced it with was Sybron C-249 Cation Softening Resin .

Sean
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Mon 27 Jun, 2005 07:04 pm
azkirk wrote:
ok I will do the best I can describing this as I do not know everything about these. Also is there a parts list with picture that I could use as a reference for your descriptions?...
Sean

O.K. Sean, from what you described the unit is filling the salt tank but not drawing from the salt tank.

This problem is usually caused by worn piston "O" rings.
Have all three replaced. The brine line(s) should also be checked.

Yes, the clear thing on the back is the tri-guard.

Check out my web site and email me directly if you wish.

I have not seen a good picture available online - sorry.
What state are you located in?
0 Replies

azkirk

Sun 3 Jul, 2005 10:04 am
I checked out your web site.... I live in AZ.
Your approach on replacing the O-rings indirectly worked. I chose to replace all the o-rings in the unit. Upon disassembly however I found a long black tube with a screen cut in it filled with resin I removed the resin and took a pin and poked it in the pin sized hole that had a resin bead stuck in it and reassembled. The unit is working perfectly, Anyone need a rainsoft tech now. Heck I know how this model works now.

I wanted to thank you for helping me think about this problem and look further.

Sean
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Sun 3 Jul, 2005 02:18 pm
azkirk wrote:
... I found a long black tube with a screen cut in it filled with resin I removed the resin and took a pin and
poked it in the pin sized hole that had a resin bead stuck in it and reassembled. The unit is working perfectly...

Good job SEAN!

That was your brine injector clogged with resin...

I'm glad you got it working Smile
0 Replies

tbase

Tue 5 Jul, 2005 01:19 pm
Rainsoft Repair
Hi.
I was listening in, and have also been trying to repair an ancient Rainsoft unit, with a mechanical electrical timer, for many months.
My problem seems to be the opposite of Sean's.
My unit will function perfectly, if I add water to my brine tank with a hose. My unit will not add water to the brine, or salt tank. When the cam rotates to that position, the sight glass is full of water, with the white ball pushed tight in the up position.
If I close the valve, removing water pressure from the system, and then disconnect the tube going from the valve in the brass head to the sight glass, relieving the water pressure there, reconnect the tube, and reopen the main valve, the water will then flow into the salt tank as required.
I tore the whole thing apart again today, lubed all O-rings, and reassemled it. No change.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
Terry
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Tue 5 Jul, 2005 03:49 pm
Re: Rainsoft Repair
tbase wrote:

I tore the whole thing apart again today, lubed all O-rings, and reassemled it.

Terry, did you replace the three piston O-rings with new ones?
0 Replies

tbase

Tue 5 Jul, 2005 04:10 pm
H2O_MAN wrote:
tbase wrote:

I tore the whole thing apart again today, lubed all O-rings, and reassemled it.

Terry, did you replace the three piston O-rings with new ones?
No, I did not. I lubed them with silicone lube given to me by a former Rainsoft agent, whom I know.
I can do that, though. I have spare rings, given to me by the same person.
Also, I removed the brine refill screen two weeks ago, as I found it clogged. However, that did not fix the problem. Something is trapping the white ball in the top of the clear plastic chamber. It performs well in all steps except brine refill.
I will replace the O-rings tomorrow, and reply again. Thank you for your help.
Terry
0 Replies