she came from

WBYeats

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 01:58 am
-He said, "My dear - why didn't you come to my party? It really was a marvelous party! Quite a lot of people actually spoke to me! One woman even said 'How do you do' and 'Good-by' and 'Thank you so much' - but of course she came from a Garden City, poor dear!"While the Lovely Young Thing made a suitable reply, Poirot allowed himself a good study of the hirsute adornment on Mr. Shaitana's upper lip.A fine mustache - a very fine mustache - the only mustache in London, perhaps, that could compete with that of Monsieur Hercule Poirot."But it is not so luxuriant," he murmured to himself. "No, decidedly it is inferior in every respect. Tout de mкme, it catches the eye."The whole of Mr. Shaitana's person caught the eye - it was designed to do so. He deliberately attempted a Mephistophelean effect. He was tall and thin; his face was long and melancholy; his eyebrows were heavily accented and jet black; he wore a mustache with stiff waxed ends and a tiny black imperial. His clothes were works of art - of exquisite cut - but with a suggestion of the bizarre.
===========================
1. Does CAME mean she was born/lived/bred there or her nationality is related to that place?

2. Why does the writer say A GARDEN CITY? Wiki sheds no light; why does this pharse come into the text?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 533 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 02:12 am
Came from can mean, depending on context, that one is born and raised in a particular locale, or simply born there, or simply is now resident there. In this case, i infer that the woman who is he subject of the remark was born and raised in the so-called "garden city." I have absolutely no idea what Miss Christie means in using such a locution as "a garden city." In the United States, such a term is often used do describe a place where garden vegetables are raised to be sold in nearby cities--i doubt that that is the meaning here.

It might be of interest to you that the name Shaitana is a play on the name Shaitan, which in the mythology of the middle east means "the devil," the arch-demon, and which is the origin of the name Satan.
WBYeats

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 06:34 am
@Setanta,
THank you~

Very interesting mythology~
0 Replies

knaivete

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2014 10:48 pm
@WBYeats,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_city_movement

Quote:
1. Does CAME mean she was born/lived/bred there or her nationality is related to that place?

2. Why does the writer say A GARDEN CITY? Wiki sheds no light; why does this pharse come into the text?

1. She grew up there (in a Garden City) is the usual connotation. You can construe that her nationality is English.

2. Garden cities were originally meant for the working class. The reference is snide. It implies that she was too polite indicating a modest origin.
0 Replies

WBYeats

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 11:13 pm
If not a person, but pronunciation; which is correct?

-American English is/was/comes/came/has come (from) an older branch of UK English.
0 Replies