Historical Mirror: This Nobel Prize Winner has a crazy idea to increase the global temperature

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 10:41 pm
The laureate suggested setting fire to unused coal seams to increase the global temperature!
Considering Beijing's infamous smog which is shrouding almos half China, such crazy idea seems to turn a noble scientist into a terrorist.

Context:

Walther Hermann Nernst, ForMemRS[1] (25 June 1864 – 18 November 1941) was a German physical chemist and physicist who is known for his theories behind the calculation of chemical affinity as embodied in the third law of thermodynamics, for which he won the 1920 Nobel Prize in chemistry.
Nernst married in 1892 to Emma Lohmeyer with whom he had two sons and three daughters. Both of Walther's sons died fighting in World War I. He was a colleague of Svante Arrhenius, and suggested setting fire to unused coal seams to increase the global temperature. He was a vocal critic of Adolf Hitler and Nazism, and three daughters married Jewish men. In 1933, the rise of Nazism led to the end of Nernst's career as a scientist. Nernst died in 1941 and is buried near Max Planck in Göttingen, Germany. [5]

More:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walther_Nernst#Career

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 11:00 pm
By 1600, lakes in northern Scotland would freeze on the surface by the end of August. The winter of 1709-10 was so severe in Europe that rabbits and badgers froze to death in their burrows, and birds froze to death and dropped from the trees dead. Wolves attacked, killed and ate people who wandered from their homes in the night. In Paris, there were barriers at all of the roads which entered the city, where people would be stopped to know their business and customs duties were levied on goods coming into the cities. In that horrible winter, large packs of wolves would attack the guards at the barriers, and any which could get into the city would attack and eat homeless people in the streets.

This was at the end of what scientists called the Little Ice Age. A decrease in solar activity (which causes the jet stream to move to the south) and volcanic eruptions in the Dutch East Indies, capped by the explosive eruption of the stratovolcano Mount Tambora in 1815 lead to what was known as the year without a summer, in 1816. It is thought that 200,000 people died of starvation or the diseases of malnutrition in Europe. This was in addition to the roughly 100,000 people who died in Ireland as a result of famine and the diseases of malnutrition. Conditions were just as severe in North America and Canada, although there was not outright starvation, because both countries had long made foreign exchange by shipping food to Europe. The virtual cessation of food imports from North America also contributed to the high mortality in Europe. Crop failures and the deaths of livestock in China was just as severe, but i don't know if there are any figures on how many people died.

In the 1960s and -70s, academics were still predicting a coming "little ice age." Climate change is a constant throughout history--but the concern over global warming is a relatively recent phenomenon. It seems to me, though, that his thesis was not well thought out. Burning huge quantities of coal would likely have caused a greater albedo effect from the particulate put into the atmosphere (smoke and dust), and probably would have reduced average global temperatures, rather than increased them. He was being somewhat naïve--but it wasn't that odd in those days to think that the climate was in danger of getting colder..
oristarA

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2014 02:10 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

In the 1960s and -70s, academics were still predicting a coming "little ice age." Climate change is a constant throughout history--but the concern over global warming is a relatively recent phenomenon. It seems to me, though, that his thesis was not well thought out. Burning huge quantities of coal would likely have caused a greater albedo effect from the particulate put into the atmosphere (smoke and dust), and probably would have reduced average global temperatures, rather than increased them. He was being somewhat naïve--but it wasn't that odd in those days to think that the climate was in danger of getting colder..

Cool and interesting!
farmerman

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2014 09:18 pm
@oristarA,
If the coldest fusion is what we Yernest,
we must thank the Lawd for Walther Nernst
oristarA

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2014 06:39 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

If the coldest fusion is what we Yernest,
we must thank the Lawd for Walther Nernst

Guys, what does Yernest mean?
farmerman

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2014 11:59 am
@oristarA,
it is the M E form of "yearn" , inf "to yearn" (I misspell a lot , Im really stupid).
Yearn means to "long for with great desire"

". "for the sea, I yearnest", means that" I yearn for the sea"

The Nernst Equation (we often use it in electrochemistry) is the basis for "cold fusion "(maybe erroneously though) by virtue of the reversible equations of an entropic condition of matter along with the law of conservation of energy.

(It goes both ways)
Setanta

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2014 12:02 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
(It goes both ways)

You mean it's Bi?
farmerman

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2014 12:04 pm
@Setanta,
it has been said, but whatever it does in the privacy of its own half cell is none of my business, and anyway, Not that theres anything wrong with dat.
0 Replies