She turned him down

olla

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 11:09 am
My best friend here in the university, brought a complained to me , that a guy in our department , invited her to his church and was persistent about it with excessive calls through out the whole week.But she was reluctant to go, because the guy sounded too desperate.she also felt he was thinking of having a relationship with her.that she wasn't interested in, so she avoided getting him to close to her by not going to his church, now he sees her in school but ignores her, though she tries to fake up a reason for not been present in his church.But he nows keeps his distance from her .This is making her feel very uncomfortable even though she tries to be friendly with him.now she asks me was she wrong to have turn him down?, can they still be friends once again? I don't have answers for her so I came for your helps.Thanks

jespah

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 02:46 pm
@olla,
If she doesn't want to date him, she has every right to turn him down. If she thinks he was asking her to his church for the purposes of asking her out (or to set that up), then she is certainly within her rights to say no.

For his part, he may be feeling a bit rejected or at least foolish.

I don't think it's such a hot idea for your friend to be pursuing him for a friendship. It seems like she wants to be able to reject him romantically yet maintain a cordial friendship. She kind of wants to have it both ways (get close to me, but not too close, or I'll push you away again), and that nearly never works out.

She should allow the guy to have a little dignity (and herself, I might add) and keep away for a while.

One thing about rejecting people, even if it is wholly justified, is that they sometimes get angry at us. And there are times when they don't want to be our friends anymore. It's a part of growing up and maturing to be able to accept the fact that not everyone is going to love us.
PUNKEY

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 04:03 pm
This guy had strings attached to the friendship: Attend church with him.

She didn't so he wont have anything to do with him.

He sounds weird. She should be glad that she is not seeing him. He sounds like a controling person.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 04:27 pm
@olla,
There is nothing wrong with turning down an invitation to church. It is an odd invitation anyway... church is something personal. But even so, there is nothing wrong with turning down an invitation to anything (except maybe the wedding or the funeral of the person who is inviting).

The guy is acting inappropriately. At this point she should turn him down in a way that is very clear and ask him to stop. I don't know if she wants to continue being nice, but there is no way to do this until he stops being so inconsiderate.

chai2

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 04:28 pm
I wouldn't like it if someone was persistent in asking me to do anything with them if I'd already made it clear I wasn't interested in that activity.

I agree with Punky in that he sounds controlling. Either that or oblivious.
anonymously99

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 11:01 pm
@olla,
With as mentioned can be looked at in many different angles.

He may had been testing her to begin with. But there's no telling.

It shouldn't be stressed about so much. It's unnecessary.
0 Replies

olla

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 04:30 am
@jespah,
Thanks, I will tell her that,besides, sh should focus on her studies and stopped bothering about his bruised ego.
0 Replies

olla

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 04:33 am
@PUNKEY,
Thanks, will pass your message across
0 Replies

olla

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 04:34 am
@maxdancona,
Thanks
0 Replies

olla

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 04:36 am
@chai2,
Thanks, you were helpful,
0 Replies

olla

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 04:55 am
@jespah,
However, I think it has do to with the way she turned him down, because she told me, she didn't say NO directly, but made show she sounded disinterested while he was asking to come pick her up for church the next morning.she told him,she would call him next morning (Sunday morning).so he waited however she didn't call (she said she slept off) and still didn't show up at his church.
jespah

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 06:51 am
@olla,
Well, that's pretty passive-aggressive.

She shouldn't do that.

So, she could apologize but then she'll need to lay her cards on the table.

Quote:
I'm sorry I missed church, and I'm sorry I gave you the impression that I would go. It was immature of me. I can understand if you are upset with me; I was just casting about for a way to make it clear to you that I am not interested in you romantically, because my more subtle attempts to do so seemed to fall on deaf ears. I am sorry if I hurt you but there can never be anything romantic between us, and I don't want to give you the impression that there ever can be.

It's not fun to have to say something like that, but it's honest and it makes it clear to him that it is never going to happen between them.

She will probably never be friends with him again, but that's not looking so good now, anyway. At least by saying something like this, she can clear her own conscience.

And the next time some guy she is not attracted to comes sniffing around and is persistent in asking her out - and she is completely uninterested - she needs to speak up and kindly refuse his offer, rather than accepting it and just not showing up.
0 Replies

anonymously99

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 03:35 pm
@olla,
She may naturally be a rude person. You may be her. Who knows.
anonymously99

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 03:36 pm
@anonymously99,
John 3:16

Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
olla

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 08:19 am
@anonymously99,
how swift you are into jumping into conclusion.
0 Replies

olla

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 08:28 am
@anonymously99,
You feel comfortable judging people on a faceless forum. Someone you have never met before. If you are really that knowledgeable about the bible like you painting yourself to be, how come you skipped (matt 7vs1-5).Thanks for your input anyways
0 Replies