COUP IN KYIV?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 03:01 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
(I say "the" Ukraine because that's how i've heard it all my life. I guess that's no longer politically correct.)
Ditto Wink
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 03:27 am
The newly-installed pro-Russia leader in Crimea, Sergei Aksyonov, has reportedly said there are 11,000 ”self defence” troops controlling access to the region and which have blockaded all military bases that have not yet surrendered.
Aksyonov, who leads the pro-Moscow Russian Unity party, was speaking last night at a meeting of Crimea’s new government, AP reported. While Russia has denied sending troops into Crimea, most of all of the “self defence” troops are believed to be Russian.

Channel 4’s international editor, Lindsey Hilsum, has tweeted this
observation from Crimea:
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/b_zps243d30d3.jpg

[Sources: all via the Guardian's blog]
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 03:28 am
Another RT defection.

Quote:
An American anchor for the Kremlin-funded news channel RT has quit on air and accused the network of "whitewashing" Moscow's military intervention in Crimea.

Liz Wahl, a Washington-based correspondent for RT-America, part of the network formerly known as Russia Today, told viewers on Wednesday she was resigning because of its coverage of President Vladimir Putin's actions in the Ukrainian region.

Veerng off script, Wahl said: "I cannot be part of a network funded by the Russian government that whitewashes the actions of Putin. I'm proud to be an American and believe in disseminating the truth, and that is why, after this newscast, I'm resigning."

As the daughter of a military veteran and the wife of a military base physician the network's coverage of a potentially explosive crisis presented ethical and moral dilemmas, she said.

Wahl cited another RT host, Abby Martin, who made headlines on Tuesday when she declared: "Russian intervention in the Crimea is wrong." In a tweet she later called Martin "my girl" and commended her for going "spectacularly off-message".

Wahl, a self-described "Filipina-Hungarian-American", also alluded to Moscow's bloody intervention in Hungary in 1956. "Just spoke to grandparents who came to US as refugees escaping Soviets during Hungarian revolution. Amazing to hear amid new Cold War fears," she tweeted.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/06/russia-today-anchor-liz-wahl-resigns-on-air-ukraine
izzythepush

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 03:32 am
@hawkeye10,
Don't talk nonsense, the fleet's status was never under threat. Future plans facing 'restrictions' is just something to negotiate. It's not a threat no matter how much you try to spin it.

You really are an appeaser, so far your line is Russia should get whatever it wants, while we all line up to kiss Putin's arse.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 03:33 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I was under the impression that both Ukraine and the Ukraine are acceptable.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 03:42 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

Switzerland - Assets of 18 Ukranians frozen. Investigation started into Yanukovitch and 'others' re. Money laundering.

Austria - Assets of 20 Ukranians frozen.

(Info from France24 News)

Further to that freeze on 1st March.......

It has just been confirmed (France24 news) that the asset freeze has now been extended to all EU countries.

To affect ex-Pres, his son and 'close aides'.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 03:46 am
Ria Novosti reports now that the referendum about Crimea being part of Ukraine or Russia will be on March 16.
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 03:55 am
@izzythepush,
Good for her!

Interestingly, France24 has just shown a piece on how various media outlets around the world are all having a go at Russian journalists for not exposing the truth and spreading false stories to help Russian propaganda.

Liga (.net) the Ukranian site, has ridiculed many 'official' Russian press releases, including one stating that Ukranians are leaving the country by the thousand, supporting the Press release with a picture of traffic queuing at border control.
The picture was analysed and found to be of the border crossing between Poland and Russia, taken about three months ago.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 04:01 am
@Walter Hinteler,
So after moving from 25 May to 30 March, Crimea's referendum now on 16 March. Interestingly, the question's changed, too: now it's about joining Russia.
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 04:10 am
@Walter Hinteler,
There was a suggestion on BBC News last night, that a fair few people living in Crimea just want things to go back as they were, and for them to remain under the control of Ukraine. One family even stated that Russian 'civilians' had been bussed in, who were supposedly 'shielding' the 'non Russian' Russian soldiers blockading the Ukranian military sites.
Journalists were told these people were local and that they supported the Russians, but the Ukranian local in Crimea who was interviewed, said that she knew all of her neighbours, but did not see one of them around the nearby base. She basically recognised no-one.

So it will be interesting to see the outcome of the referendum, but it obviously hinges on what question is put, and whether the count will be open and transparent.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 04:15 am
I suspect that any such vote will be rigged. The changing date, especially, suggests that Putin wants to present a fait accompli before the situation gets any more uncomfortable.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 04:30 am
Crimea's stand at ITB Berlin (the world's largest tourism trade fair, lasting until this Saturday) with the slogan: "world in miniature"

http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zpsd90e301d.jpg
(Photo by spiegel-online)
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 04:31 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Is that a non Russian I see sitting there?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 04:39 am
@Lordyaswas,
Someone from Crimea, I think.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 05:43 am

Rustam Temirgaliev, the Crimean vice premier: From today, as Crimea is part of the Russian Federation the only legal forces here are troops of the Russian Federation, and any troops of the third country will be considered to be armed groups with all the associated consequences.

The 16 March referendum is being held, Temirgaliev said, purely to ratify the decision of the Crimean parliament to join the Russian Federation, and the parliament has appealed to Russia to assist with this.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 05:47 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Ukraine’s economy minister, Pavlo Sheremeta, has told reporters in Kiev that the planned 16 March referendum in Crimea is illegitimate: My position is that this referendum is unconstitutional.

Meanwhile, the vote for union with Russia by Crimea’s parliament has prompted an immediate drop in Russian stocks and another fall in the value of the ruble, with investors spooked at the possible western response, Reuters reports.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 05:52 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Leaders from the Ukrainian Jewish community, which is mainly Russian-speaking, have written an open letter to Vladimir Putin, rejecting his argument that minorities in the country feel under threat.
Open letter of Ukrainian Jews to Russian Federation President Vladimir Putin
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 06:24 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The EU trade volume with Russia is more than 15 times that of the US. (Graphic by the Guardian)

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2014/3/6/1394106737246/Russiatrade.png
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 06:27 am
@Walter Hinteler,
A "team of experts" is said to be working on how Crimea can adopt the ruble as its currency ...
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 07:04 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The OSCE-observers are denied entry to Crimea by about two dozens of "well-armed and professionally looking" uniformed persons.