How flawed are your beliefs

rosborne979

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 01:45 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Topic title: How flawed are your beliefs?

Well, Jesus said "I'm not from this world. If you don't believe me, at least believe the miracles"
So why SHOULDN'T we believe him?

Because they weren't his miracles. They had all been alleged to have been done many times thousands of years before.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 01:50 pm
Quote:
Rosborne said: they weren't his miracles. They had all been alleged to have been done many times thousands of years before

Well why is Jesus a household name and the most famous man in the history of the planet, but nobody has heard of any of the others?
Germlat

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 01:51 pm
@Calamity Dal,
There are few absolutes if any. One has to decide what makes most sense.
Calamity Dal

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 04:36 pm
@Germlat,
Probably the most sensible perspective
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 04:46 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Those "37 miracles" are they evidenced anywhere that isn't primarily a "Marketing site for Jesus"? I think not?

0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 04:58 pm
Quote:
Farmerman said: Those "37 miracles" are they evidenced anywhere that isn't primarily a "Marketing site for Jesus"? I think not?

Even the Koran admits JC was a miracle man, or was Mohammed fibbing?-

[Koran 2.253]- "We have made some of these apostles to excel the others, among them are they to whom Allah spoke, and some of them He exalted by many degrees of rank; and We gave clear miracles to Isa [Jesus] son of Marium [Mary], and strengthened him with the holy spirit"
rosborne979

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 07:39 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Well why is Jesus a household name and the most famous man in the history of the planet, but nobody has heard of any of the others?

What does it matter. It doesn't change the fact that just about the entire life of Jesus including all his "miracles" was clearly copied from prior mythologies. Just because there are still a whole lot of gullible people around even today, doesn't change anything.
JLNobody

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 08:41 pm
@rosborne979,
Right on, Ros.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 09:15 pm
Quote:
Rosborne claimed: the entire life of Jesus including all his "miracles" was clearly copied from prior mythologies

But why would anybody want to "invent" Jesus?
It can't have been to make money-
"Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit" (2 Cor 2:17)

And it can't have been for control-
"Be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, watching over them, not pursuing dishonest gain, but eager to serve; not lording it over those entrusted to you.." (1 Peter 5:2-3)

So what on earth was their motive for "inventing" Jesus and Christianity?
farmerman

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 11:21 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Saying that Muhammed is an accurate endorser of the claims for Jesus is like the NRA endorsing bow hunting.
Islam, like Christianity and Judism, is all part of Big Religion INC's hold on humanity
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 11:26 pm
@Calamity Dal,
Quote:
What are the flaws in your system of belief, and how do you get around them?

Evolution is nearly 100% flaws. Evolosers get around that via arrogance, ad-hominems, and manipulation of our legal and education systems.
farmerman

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2014 01:02 am
@gungasnake,
says the man who believes that dinosaurs roamed about the Great LAkes less than 150 years ago and disappeared without a trace except for a cartoon on rock wall, and who also believes that a giant Flood , in the last 10000 years, inundated the entire planet.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2014 01:03 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit" (2 Cor 2:17)
Which means ,"We peddle it for the money"
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2014 04:31 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
Because they weren't his miracles. They had all been alleged to have been done many times thousands of years before.

Written history only goes back three or four thousand years .
rosborne979

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2014 06:18 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Quote:

Written history only goes back three or four thousand years .

Yes. 2000 years before the Jesus mythology started.
farmerman

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2014 06:46 am
@rosborne979,
Im only going to be able to see how flawed my thinking is in about 100 years. SO I guess Ill just wait and have another hot chocolate and do my puzzles.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2014 09:31 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

s far as your "interpretations" of my epithets. Ive always been known for more creative ones. I get tired of calling folks morons or idiots. Its so last year.

The above sums up why my father could never live outside of Manhattan. In my opinion, I might be a sheeny in the eyes of your cultural peers, but you might be a hick (though educated) in the eyes of my cultural peers. Fair trade.

P.S.: In my opinion, the visage of your avatar is inappropriate for you, since he maintained a Union that did not believe in divisiveness (obviously). And, again in my opinion, your mouth does not mind if it causes divisiveness. As I've said before this is a Protestant nation, and others might not care the subtle damage they do its beliefs. His tomb is near Columbia University. He might be used to Jews by this time, without the archaic epithets.

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2014 10:35 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
But why would anybody want to "invent" Jesus?
It can't have been to make money-
And it can't have been for control-

Puhleeze, how many christians do you know who actually follow the precepts of Christianity, much less actually understand their own religion. Recent surveys indicate that atheists know more about Christianity than most Christians do.

And beyond that, what in the world makes you think that only Christians would want to invent Jesus given the amount of money it makes them and the amount of control it gives them over the masses. All religions are exploited by believers and non-believers alike. And any religion that preaches the virtues of Faith above Reason is ripe for manipulation. What better way to take control of the flock than to convince them that they should have blind faith in whatever you tell them above and beyond everything else. Motivate them with automatic sin, eternal forgiveness or damnation if they don't get on board, get them to shut off their brains and just listen to you. I'm not sure a more effective mechanism for controlling people has ever existed.

And then there's the obvious fact that it was standard practice back in the "old days" to create your own mythology by borrowing the attributes of a successful predecessor mythology. The Jesus mythology wasn't the first one to borrow from it's predecessors. Far from it. It was only the last one in a long line of copies.
0 Replies

BeHereNow

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2014 11:12 am
Judeo-Christian borrowing started long before the birth of Jesus, they had lots of practice.
Garden of Eden, Noah flood, most of the highlights of Jewish history were being passed around a long time.
Only the names were changed, to protect the innocent.
The stories the same, the names of the heroes changed.
There seems to little doubt that there were regional floods that locals considered world wide retribution from god.

~
"Stories of a gre­at ancient flood pervade the mythology of hundreds of cultures. We­sterners might be most familiar with the story of Noah told in the Old Testament book of Genesis, but a great flood is reported in folklore from cultures around the world, from the Middle East to the Americas, India, China and Southern Asia to name just a few.

An ancient Babylonian flood myth, the Epic of Gilgamesh, tells us a story analogous to that of Noah and his ark. In it, a man named Utnapishtim builds a ship to save his family and animals from floods brought on his city by a wrathful god. After seven days, Utnapishtim and his family come to rest safely on a mountaintop."

Not unlike the many stories of a special person whose birth was foretold, occurred, who then did many miracles, and came back from the dead.

The People of the Books (Jews, Christians, Islamic) managed to kill off most of the competition, came out on top of a big heap.
Some people seem to think of Christians as one family, and forget all about the first cousins.
Like any family, throughout history sometimes they are best friends, sometimes bitter enemies, united against a common enemy, but killing each other when it gets down to brass tacks.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2014 11:21 am
Quote:
Farmerman said: Islam, like Christianity and Judism, is all part of Big Religion INC's hold on humanity

I can't speak for the other two, but Christianity is all about NOT letting yourselves be controlled by the world or anybody else..Smile-

Jesus said:- "The world wants you to dance to its tune......God has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners...to release the oppressed" (Matt 11:16/17,Luke 4:18 )
"Jesus saved you from the empty way of life handed you by your forefathers" (1 Pet 1:18 )
"Don't conform to the pattern of this world" (Rom 12:2)
"Don't love the world or the things in it,otherwise the love of God is not in you" (1 John 2:15-17)
"Set your mind on things above,not on things on the earth" (Col 3:2)
"You were bought at a price,don't serve men" (1 Cor 7:23)
"A friend of the world is the enemy of God" (James 4:4)
"You were dead when you followed the ways of the world" (Eph 2:1/2)
Paul said- "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil.." (Eph 6:12)

Jesus said-
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/jesu-pash.png~original