Why do people deny evolution?

izzythepush

Wed 29 Oct, 2014 03:23 am
@Tekla,
Tekla wrote:

But I"m not alllowed to post twice .

That's as true as everything else you've written.
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 29 Oct, 2014 03:28 am
@Tekla,
Tekla wrote:
To believe in God mostly starts , when you are wondering what will be after your death.

The older you get the more is spinning around your mind about that.

You must not be very old. I'm in my 60s, and the older i get, the more the prospect death appeals to me. I'm not rushing toward death, but neither do i fear it, nor the prospect of oblivion. Three score and ten is enough for me.
Quehoniaomath

Wed 29 Oct, 2014 03:30 am
@Builder,
A prof saying something doesn'tmakeit true mate!

EVIDENCE MAKES IT TRUE!

BUT THERE IS NONE

JUST STOPLEANING ON SOME IDIOTS!!!

0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Wed 29 Oct, 2014 03:38 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
You must not be very old. I'm in my 60s, and the older i get, the more the prospect death appeals to me. I'm not rushing toward death, but neither do i fear it, nor the prospect of oblivion. Three score and ten is enough for me.

There is no real death, yes , your body dies, but your conciousness lives on.
much evidence for that!!!

And more than for the stupid evolution theory!!
0 Replies

FBM

Wed 29 Oct, 2014 04:14 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Tekla wrote:
To believe in God mostly starts , when you are wondering what will be after your death.

The older you get the more is spinning around your mind about that.

Funny you should mention that today. Background: Years ago back Stateside, a doctor sent me to a certain floor to get some blood test results. I found myself staring at a sign that said "Oncology." I figured I was done for and for the next half-hour or so, I was sweating like like the proverbial prostitute in church. Turns out that that was just where they routinely sent the results for those particular tests. No cancer.

Fast-forward to today: I found out I have a large-ish growth in my left sinus cavity. Factoring in family history, there was an increased chance that it would be malignant melanoma. For a few hours there, I was again thinking that the end may be nigh. I was pretty meh about it this time. Figured that if nothing else, I wouldn't have to worry about retirement. Later in my office, I translated the results from Korean to English. Just a benign nasal polyp. Whatever.
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 29 Oct, 2014 04:28 am
Yes, the bourn from which no traveler returns. The thought of crossing the bar does not dismay me. As i've already said, the thought of oblivion does not dismay me either. I've had a good run.
farmerman

Wed 29 Oct, 2014 04:49 am
@Setanta,
I don't wanna work.
I just wanna bang on this gong all day
FBM

Wed 29 Oct, 2014 04:52 am
@farmerman,
Now that song is stuck in my head, but that's OK because I like it.
farmerman

Wed 29 Oct, 2014 04:54 am
@FBM,
Its all working according to plan

1Ear Worms---check
FBM

Wed 29 Oct, 2014 04:57 am
@farmerman,
You've sent me into a tailspin into Youtube land...
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Thu 30 Oct, 2014 01:02 pm
AND STILL NO EVIDENCE TO BE FOUND....YAWNNN

http://www.davidicke.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/get-attachment21-587x419.jpg

0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Thu 30 Oct, 2014 04:04 pm
Well, ok now we can close this thread then.

No reactions anymore and we all agree evolution is obsolete!
0 Replies

Wilso

Sat 1 Nov, 2014 02:42 am
http://i61.tinypic.com/6psw8j.jpg
farmerman

Sat 1 Nov, 2014 02:53 am
@Wilso,
good one.
Heres an article, its 2 years old , but its a good review of the modern creationist folks whove published and gone on to do TV and radio.

http://www.geosociety.org/gsatoday/archive/22/11/article/i1052-5173-22-11-4.htm

Its interesting for people like Quahog to try to discount science because they dont buy the evidence. Yet it was through basic evidence that all of the Creationist claims about the Earth and Evolution were debunked. SO, if we reverse that, since Quahog feels that evidence is "lacking" to support evolution and the earth's history, He is therefore a Creationist, r else a believer in aliens seeing the planet (For which there I no evidence at all)
0 Replies

Herald

Sat 1 Nov, 2014 03:36 am
@JimmyJ,
JimmyJ wrote:
Before you even try please note that this question is not to debate the validity of evolution.
     Why? Why are we not allowed to debate the validity of the things? If some theory is convenient it doesn't matter whether it is valid or not - what is the logic standing behind all that.
     Science is the method for searching the truth - of life, of development, of the Universe ... of whatever. If the truth doesn't matter what is the idea of making convenient 'scientific' constructs?
Builder

Sat 1 Nov, 2014 03:45 am
@Herald,
Quote:
Science is the method for searching the truth

It is not. Searching for proof, maybe.
Setanta

Sat 1 Nov, 2014 03:45 am
@Herald,
Just because you don't "get" the author's purpose in starting the thread does not mean that it is not a valid exercise. I am not surprised, however, that you fail to understand the purpose of the thread. You are, after all, nothing more than a largely ignorant polemicist for creationism, tarted up like an old whore and given the name "intelligent design." You're a walking avatar for invincible ignorance.
0 Replies

FBM

Sat 1 Nov, 2014 04:35 am
Science builds its theories (NOT the same thing as guesses) from hypotheses that are tested. Each test is not so different from anecdotal evidence, except that the conditions are carefully controlled and open to endless third-party replication.

Anecdotes are uncontrolled and unrepeated experiences, subject to first-person perceptual/interpretational flaws, such as cognitive bias, selection bias, certainty bias, appeals to authority and tradition, emotional appeals, etc.

Both the scientific method and anecdotes are inductive reasoning. The differences include reproducibility, falsifiability and disinterested interest on the part of those running the experiments. By accumulating huge volumes of carefully reproduced experimental results that all point to the same conclusion, a hypothesis can become a theory, which is taken as fact until it becomes falsified by new evidence.

If, therefore, anyone seeks to deny evolution, they need to produce evidence that falsifies that already produced by scientists. Genetic mutations in response to environmental stressors are well documented.

Inductive reasoning is by its nature probabilistic, and any careful scientist will acknowledge that. However, the fact that a scientific theory can only be theoretically 99.9999999...% certain does in no way give credibility to just any untestable claim that some mouth-breather pulls out of his ass or out of Bronze Age mythology.
Setanta

Sat 1 Nov, 2014 04:58 am
Monday night, whne i came to page 200 in the book i was a-readin', i put the book down and turned out the light and went to sleep. Tuesday night, as i put the book down, i saw that i was on exactly page 300, an' i had read a hunnert pages that day. I knew that was a sign of the cosmic spirit. So i got down on my knees an' is said: "He'p me Jeebus, he'p me . . . he'p me unnerstand!"

When i was a-goin' to the corner store on Wednesday, i found a dollar coin on the sidewalk. Then i knew that Jeebus had answered my prayer, and that all will well in the end.

Ramen.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sat 1 Nov, 2014 06:12 am
@Herald,
Quote:
? Why are we not allowed to debate the validity of the things
The forced ignorance of the Creationist and ID mind is NOT the purpose of Jimmy J's thread. He understood that pople like you n Quahog will stand in a mueum of specimens ND CLAIM THAT THERES NOTHING IN THE ROOM XCEPT YOU.
That's what forced ignorance FORCES you to become. People more want to know the RESONS for your behavior. If you need to recapitulate your forced ignorance, I think we would stipulate to you acting that way.

My great-grandmother didn't believe in Television either.