Why do people deny evolution?

cicerone imposter

Fri 4 Jul, 2014 12:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yea, spendi seems well read, but can't relate what he read to the topic at hand.
spendius

Fri 4 Jul, 2014 01:38 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
I'm still waiting for you to give a single example to back up your claim that theologians use the scientific method, but all you do is run.

It is me who is placed on people's Ignore list a lot Brandi. They are the runners. Do you think they have no reason. My tender hints are sufficient to scare them.

Theology is concerned with what processes are taking place at the reproductive interface. I am constrained by your delicacy, and that of others, about such important matters, which are at the essence of evolution.

However much you goad me I will not go into any details on this, or any other, site.

I am well aware that you cannot possibly allow that theology is a science because all your foundations crumble away if you did. You would do well to heed what fm and ci. say. It's much more cuddly. It can do evolution and ethics in the same post and that's as cuddly as cuddly gets in the intellectual zone which begins about 2 inches above the ground.

And its expertise in the English Language is on a level with that of someone tasked to distribute a midden fairly evenly on a field with a fork.
spendius

Fri 4 Jul, 2014 01:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
You mean Jane Austen, Proust and Tristram Shandy don't belong in a discussion about evolution?

Actually ed. the discussion is about why people deny evolution and I have already offered 20 odd reasons, I've lost count, and nobody else has offered any except to assert that they must be stupid.

You being a writer will know that is not a reason. It's a little lamb bleating.

We cannot discuss evolution in front of readers who might well have innocent young minds. For the same reason Woody Allen couldn't complete the scene when pretending to be an infusoria. (A word Darwin used. Just the once mind). He had to just fade it out.

On the subject of the thread those three writers you mentioned are very relevant. And there are a lot of others. Barbara Cartland for example.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 4 Jul, 2014 02:03 pm
Barbara Cartland? You read those lady novels, penned by her each in a week or two time?
Quehoniaomath

Fri 4 Jul, 2014 02:04 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
For sure. Which data? Who chooses what to collect? Is there any data not being collected.

The confessional collected data.

Exactly! Well, for starters! Wink
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Fri 4 Jul, 2014 02:19 pm
I see a lot of people here fitting into this one!

Quote:
The individual afflicted with the emotional plague is not content to take a passive attitude--he is distinguished from the neurotic character by a more or less life-destructive social activity. His thinking is completely muddled by irrational concepts and governed almost exclusively by irrational emotions. In the neurotic character, thinking and acting do not coincide. This is not true of the plague-afflicted character. As in the genital character, his thinking is in complete agreement with his actions, but there is a significant difference, i.e., his conclusions are not the result of his thinking. They are always predetermined by his emotional affliction. In the person afflicted with the emotional plague, thinking does not, as in the rational individual, serve to help him arrive at a correct conclusion; on the contrary, it serves to confirm and rationalize a predetermined irrational conclusion. This is generally known as "prejudice," but one fails to see that this prejudice has detrimental social effects on a large scale

http://anarchy.org.au/anarchist-texts/reich-emotional-plague/
luismtzzz

Fri 4 Jul, 2014 02:26 pm
@spendius,
Theology is not a natural science.

Quote:
Theology is the systematic and rational study of concepts of God and of the nature of religious truths, or the learned profession acquired by completing specialized training in religious studies, usually at a university, seminary or school of divinity.
"theology". Wordnetweb.princeton.edu. Retrieved 2012-11-11.

Quote:
Theologians use various forms of analysis and argument (philosophical, ethnographic, historical, spiritual and others) to help understand, explain, test, critique, defend or promote any of myriad religious topics. Theology might be undertaken to help the theologian:

understand more truly their own religious tradition,
understand more truly another religious tradition,
make comparisons among religious traditions,
defend or justify a religious tradition,
facilitate reform of a particular tradition,
assist in the propagation of a religious tradition,[or
draw on the resources of a tradition to address some present situation or need,
draw on the resources of a tradition to explore possible ways of interpreting the world,

See, e.g., Daniel L. Migliore, Faith Seeking Understanding: An Introduction to Christian Theology 2nd ed.(Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2004)
Michael S. Kogan, 'Toward a Jewish Theology of Christianity' in The Journal of Ecumenical Studies 32.1 (Winter 1995), 89–106; available online at [1]
David Burrell, Freedom and Creation in Three Traditions (Notre Dame: University of Notre Dame Press, 1994)
See, e.g., John Shelby Spong, Why Christianity Must Change or Die (New York: Harper Collins, 2001)
See, e.g., Duncan Dormor et al (eds), Anglicanism, the Answer to Modernity (London: Continuum, 2003)
Timothy Gorringe, Crime, Changing Society and the Churches Series (London:SPCK, 2004)
Anne Hunt Overzee's gloss upon the view of Ricœur (1913–2005) as to the role and work of 'theologian': "Paul Ricœur speaks of the theologian as a hermeneut, whose task is to interpret the multivalent, rich metaphors arising from the symbolic bases of tradition so that the symbols may 'speak' once again to our existential situation." Anne Hunt Overzee The body divine: the symbol of the body in the works of Teilhard de Chardin and Rāmānuja, Cambridge studies in religious traditions 2 (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1992), ISBN 0-521-38516-4, ISBN 978-0-521-38516-9, p.4; Source: [2] (accessed: Monday 5 April 2010)

It studies concepts and interpretations of the divinity, regardless of the historical period, or area of the world.

It roughly recovers quantificable or qualifcable data that can be analysed. It does not runs trials nor debunk previous wrong religious theories.

Quote:
Theology is concerned with what processes are taking place at the reproductive interface.

Did you mean the multiplication of the human species? The growth of the population? The coitus?

Religion is concerned with the group of personal belifs that create the personal spirituality. That can not be measured or experimented on. Every religion is valuable for what is meant to a particular person who was born in to it. How can you go a say a Hinduist that your god can beat his gods, and if he does not converts he will burn in hell. Why did the cristhian creation can be more real than the mayan? The Popo Vuh is beatifully written and describe how men were created out of corn dough by the gods.

Theres a branch of antopology that suits more the characteristics of a science:

Quote:
The anthropology of religion involves the study of religious institutions in relation to other social institutions, and the comparison of religious beliefs and practices across cultures. Modern anthropology assumes that there is complete continuity between magical thinking and religion, and that every religion is a cultural product created by the human community that practices it
Pandian, Jacob (1997) The sacred integration of the cultural self: An anthropological approach to the study of religion, p.507 in S. Glazier (Ed.) The anthropology of religion
Harvey, Van A. (1996) Projection: a metaphor in search of a theory? p.67 in D.Z. Philips (ed.) Can religion be explained away?

spendius

Fri 4 Jul, 2014 03:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Barbara Cartland? You read those lady novels, penned by her each in a week or two time?

Nah!! I've seen her interviewed a couple of times and got the whole picture. And it matched with other pictures from history of ladies who had choices.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 4 Jul, 2014 03:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
spendi is an autistic ADD. ASSBURGERS with ADD
spendius

Fri 4 Jul, 2014 04:53 pm
@luismtzzz,
So long as you didn't miss out this one--

Quote:
draw on the resources of a tradition to explore possible ways of interpreting the world,

OK.
spendius

Fri 4 Jul, 2014 04:56 pm
@Quehoniaomath,
I don't think, Q, that our brave and severe truth seekers are quite ready for Reich.
spendius

Fri 4 Jul, 2014 05:05 pm
@luismtzzz,
Quote:
Every religion is valuable for what is meant to a particular person who was born in to it.

Quote:
The anthropology of religion involves the study of religious institutions in relation to other social institutions,

Those statements are in opposition.

spendius

Fri 4 Jul, 2014 05:09 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
spendi is an autistic ADD. ASSBURGERS with ADD

A perfect example of ad hom trollery.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 4 Jul, 2014 05:50 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

I don't think, Q, that our brave and severe truth seekers are quite ready for Reich.

I have to chuckle. Reich? I read books by and about him some years ago. I guess I was under thirty. *******, fighting imagined interplanetary war - can't remember everything. He was off his rocker by the time it was over with.
Brandon9000

Fri 4 Jul, 2014 06:27 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
I'm still waiting for you to give a single example to back up your claim that theologians use the scientific method, but all you do is run.

...However much you goad me I will not go into any details on this, or any other, site.

I am well aware that you cannot possibly allow that theology is a science because all your foundations crumble away if you did....

You claim that theologians use the scientific method routinely, yet cannot give one single example from the whole history of the world. You have made a claim you can't support and are trying to present a series of distractions. You lose.
Quehoniaomath

Fri 4 Jul, 2014 11:58 pm
@spendius,
Quote:

I know, I know an do I agree!

But I am planting little seeds. Wink
spendius

Sat 5 Jul, 2014 03:57 am
@Quehoniaomath,
I have planted that particular seed a few times myself. To no avail of course. The soil around here is unsuitable.

Dylan planted it too in one of his songs.

It is only an affectation that truth is to be hunted to the end. It sounds good you see.
Wilso

Sat 5 Jul, 2014 04:59 am
Jesus. Stop feeding this pathetic fuckwit. He'll **** off to the pub and continue his inebriated slide into death.
spendius

Sat 5 Jul, 2014 05:11 am
@Wilso,
Wassamatta Wilso? Will her indoors not let you go to the pub?
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Sat 5 Jul, 2014 06:53 am
@spendius,
Quote:
I have planted that particular seed a few times myself. To no avail of course. The soil around here is unsuitable.

Dylan planted it too in one of his songs.

It is only an affectation that truth is to be hunted to the end. It sounds good you see.

Be patient, very very patient. No change that to very very very very patient.
0 Replies