Is Ed Markey Cheap?

Miller

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 05:56 am
Today in Massachusetts Ed Markey is running against Gabriel Gomez in a special election for Senator.

I'm for Gomez since he represents youth, diversity and change. I'm not for Markey, because he's dull and really over- the- hill.One thing that bothers me about Markey is his failure to financially support in any significant amount charities. For instance, his annual income has been reported to be $169,000. His contributions to charity have been reported to be of the order of $2200, about 1.3% of his annual income.

I've never liked Markey and after seeing his very low levels of financial support of worthwhile charities, I know I could never vote for him as Senator.

By the way, Markey is no Ed Kennedy.

maxdancona

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 06:03 am
@Miller,
Any Democrat is better than any Republican, particularly in the closely fought Senate.

Gomez never had a chance at my vote. That being said, he is a particularly uninspiring candidate. Markey is no Ed Kennedy, but Markey is no Martha Coakley either.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 06:08 am
Quote:
he is a particularly uninspiring candidate

Gomez is a graduate of the Naval Academy and he'll also a Navy Seal.

By the way, he may be an "uninspiring candidate" to you, but to me, he's one sexy dude. His wife's a lucky Lady.
PUNKEY

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 06:21 am
Looking at IRS reported charitable contributions is a poor way to judge a person.

Perhaps he's supporting other family members or has medical bills.

Did deeper, kiddo.

woiyo

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 06:30 am
@PUNKEY,
Or perhaps he is a cheap bastard, who has slid by for 37 years in Congress. Tell me some good things he has accomplished in 37 years?

People say they want change, but most voters are too stupid and/or scared to actually vote for change.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 06:30 am
@Miller,
Sure Miller, the Navy Seal thing is cool and he is a sexy dude. If I ever need someone to storm a beach, or if I ever decide to experiment sexually, Gomez would be at the top of my list of candidates.

But as a Senatorial candidate, he doesn't interest me at all.
Linkat

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 12:07 pm
@Miller,
Markey also lives in Maryland, but is claiming he is a resident of MA - he is collecting a pension too.

Markey has never held a real job before (only politics).

He has lied out right in his ads against Gomez - saying things that Gomez supports or the other way around about Gomez.

Gomez though is a weak (not physically of course) candidate - he doesn't attack the way Markey does and could ultimately lead to Gomez failure. Maybe Gomez is too much of a gentleman from being a navy seal I don't know.

The problem is the average voter is ill informed. They simply vote either per seeing an ad or straight party. Or as much I as love my mom, oh I don't like him, he seems mean or has no personality. Great way to vote - rather than vote for most qualified or campaigns on policies you agree with - no vote because you think they are nice. And Mass voters are worse than even the average national voter.

Just like some one on here said - oh just vote for a Democrat. Exactly the true low information voter that the average person is - and by the way Gomez isn't a true "republican" he is a moderate. Not even close to being a republican. Shows how well informed the average voter is.

revelette

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 01:30 pm
@Linkat,
Perhaps, however, given how close the senate is, it would be a bad move to give away the senate majority. Ethical votes seem to me a pretty expensive luxury given how closely divided the senate is right now. I for one do not want to see anymore backward turning laws like we have some states where the republicans have a solid majority in both houses and a republican governor.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 02:13 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
He has lied out right in his ads against Gomez

Can you give specifics? What has he lied about?
Linkat

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 02:54 pm
@revelette,
The thing is on the ethical votes, Gomez pretty much votes the same as Democrats - that is why I said he isn't a republican -more a moderate.

If you actually read his policies (not what Markey the liar says) you will see that the majority of his ethical policies is more democratic than republican. So if you want a more ethical person that tends toward the democratic side of things for ethical votes, Gomez is actually the better candidate.
Linkat

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 03:04 pm
@maxdancona,
Unfortunately I don't have time to pull the specific ads - but things along the lies of abortion, social security - specifically on social security Markey says that Gomez supports raising the retirement age of current seniors - not true - Gomez supports raising the retirement age, but not on individuals nearing retirement (not sure his exact cutoff, but I've read and heard his proposal).

In this article his wife actually spoke out about this as she got angry about the lies.

This is one article -
http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/us_politics/2013/06/gomez_wife_slams_markey

maxdancona

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 03:15 pm
@Linkat,
Gabriel Gomez's wife doesn't really count as an impartial source. She is part of a campaign that is accusing Markey of lies that he didn't make.

The non-partisan fact-checkers have listed a few things in Markey's ads that stretch the truth (the issue of Gomez not having a litmus test on abortion for example). But nothing that could be categorized as an outright lie.

I can list at least two outright lies from the Gomez campaign.

I haven't seen any outright lies from the Markey campaign (stretches of the truth, but not outright lies).
maxdancona

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 03:20 pm
@maxdancona,
Here is an impartial source of the outright lies from the Gomez campaign.

Quote:
In claiming Markey “blames Gomez for the Newtown shooting,” the Gomez campaign is referring to a Markey TV ad on gun control called “Clear Differences.” The Markey ad said that Gomez “is against banning high-capacity magazines like the ones used in the Newtown school shooting.” And that is true.

The Markey ad features a clip of Gomez, during an April 21 appearance on WCVB’s “On The Record” TV show, saying, “I’m against an assault weapons ban” and “I don’t believe that you should have a limit on the high-capacity magazines.” (See the video here at around the 5:03 mark.)

It is also true that a rifle with a “high capacity 30 round magazine” was used “to murder 20 children and six adults inside the school,” according to the Connecticut State Police.

http://factcheck.org/2013/05/a-false-claim-of-blame-in-mass-senate-race/
RABEL222

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 10:30 pm
No. He is a senator.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 06:20 am
@Linkat,
To be honest, I'm not familiar with either candidate. If he wins I hope you are right. I don't really understand why not changing the age for SS for those receiving it now makes a difference. Either it is a good idea or its not. Also don't agree with his position on gun magazines. I don't live in that state so it really don't matter what I think anyway. Seems like he does hold positions in opposition to many democrats though.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 07:27 am
@revelette,
The election was yesterday.

The good guys won.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 10:43 am
@revelette,
The idea is if you change the retirement age to some one approaching retirement age - they are not prepared financially in that they may have been expecting to retire say at 63 but now it moves up to 70 so they can't get ss until 70 (I don't know the specific rules but you get the idea).

The reason you want to change the retirement age is for payment of SS. We are running out of money and soon will go bankrupt as there was no plan that so many people would live so long and thus there isn't enough to support our elders with SS.

The idea of upping the age will save lots in money and seeing most people are living longer and are healthier at an older age it makes sense. Most people can work easily still over 65 so why not move it up to 70 to protect SS.

Markey and most financial liberals do not want to touch ss but it doesn't make logical sense to not do something financially. Most financial liberals prefer to increase taxes or increase SS deductions from younger workers. I don't think they understand not being in a financial situation that the average american is the average amercian has cut so much financially with the bad economy that any increase in deductins from their pay is a huge financial burden.

If you up the retirement age to 70, but say those over 55 or what seems reasonable stay with the same retirement age then it won't hurt those close to retirement, but will help for future generations.

At least that is the logic.

I won't say I agree with all his policies (the only ethical type policy that leans to republican is his assault weapons - pretty much all else leans toward democrat - don't believe markey), but his fiscal ones make more sense. Markey is in support of increasing spending and taxes when personally I can't cut any more - I've already had a decrease in net salary (with healthcare going up/ss going up and no pay increases as the economy is so poor - I'm making less money net significantly than last year and everything is costing more).
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 10:55 am
@maxdancona,
Fact check leans left - if you read independent news you would know that.

Also the only ethical policy Gomez leans republican is on gun control. I guess that is why you pulled that out.

He is fiscally conservative but liberal otherwise. I have read his policies and heard him speak so personally I have not heard some of the things that Markey claimed in his ads - I love the use of mis-lead vs. lie. It is the same thing - the intentions are the same - actually misleading to me can be worse as you intend to lie but cover it up by not telling the exact truth.

No surprise on the vote. These same people that vote one way end up being the same ones I hear complain when the gas tax went up, sales taxes went up (after the voters had voted for a decrease in sales tax) and increases in property taxes. That is why they are considered low information voters - they don't realize what they are voting for.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 11:04 am
@Linkat,
Come on Linkat!

You made the claim that Markey told "outright" lies. But, you have no clue about what these alleged lies are? If you are going to make this claim, it is fair to ask what you are talking about. Whether you think FactCheck leans left or not isn't the issue. Either way they at least back up their claims with specific facts and actual quotes.

You are clearly just parrotting what "independent news" tells you to say without even checking the facts or thinking for yourself.

What an odd use of the word "independent".
Linkat

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2013 07:05 am
@maxdancona,
Actually I am saying what I have heard gomez say vs. what Markey's ads say. The only "parrotting" I took from was the report that Independent news articles state that factcheck is known to lean left.

If you have read anything I have stated in the past you would realize that I try to be fair in what I state and if I say a source comes from some where I am true to that.

Markey ads state that Gomez is not for women's right and their right toward an abortion - Gomez has never said that ever or has ever been against women's rights or pro-choice. Markey ads state that Gomez does not fight for seniors and will increase the retirement age for our current seniors - whereas Gomez is not in support of raising the retirement age for our current seniors.

You may not agree with Gomez stands and that is fine everyone has differences of opinions, but I am fair in my arguements so be fair on your side.