Does "tried to counter the blow of each new production drive" mean...?

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 08:32 am
Does "tried to counter the blow of each new production drive" mean "tried to meet the challege of each new production competition/campaign"?

Context:
On the ground both zealots and dawdlers set the tone. Party activists cut corners, reduced standards, ignored safety and abused the workforce as well as every piece of equipment in their relentless quest to meet highter production targets. On the factory floor and in the fields, ordinary people tried to counter the blow of each new production drive with the force of collective inertia.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 662 • Replies: 9
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 08:40 am
To counter means to resist. Each new production drive is being compared to a blow (as in a fight) and the workers resisted these blows or strikes using collective inertia.
oristarA

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 08:50 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

To counter means to resist. Each new production drive is being compared to a blow (as in a fight) and the workers resisted these blows or strikes using collective inertia.

Thanks.
production drive, production competition?
roger

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 09:16 am
@oristarA,
Production drive means someone has set mandatory goals. Someone else has to meet those goals.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 09:16 am
Quote:
On the factory floor and in the fields, ordinary people tried to counter the blow of each new production drive with the force of collective inertia.

Every time the supervisors came up with a new production goal, the workers tried to do less and less.

Greater urging led to less effort.

Joe(I've worked in situations like that.)Nation
contrex

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 09:22 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Thanks.
production drive, production competition?

Production drive = campaign (ordered by central government) to meet a production target.

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 10:11 am
@Joe Nation,
Long time no see, Joe.
Welcome back.

And thank you all.
oristarA

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 10:13 am
@oristarA,
Should I have said "I haven't seen for quite a while"?
Is "long time no see" still in use and has been treated as native English/standard English?
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 02:58 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Is "long time no see" still in use and has been treated as native English/standard English?

"Long time, no see" is still used, though probably not among those under forty years old and only between two or more people who know each other well enough to know it's being used in a joking fashion.

It's interesting and I hadn't thought about this before, and I hope others here will back me up on this:
When two people have been writing to each other, as we do here, the comment is expressed as "I haven't HEARD from you in quite a while." As if the reader has been reading the other's posts out loud.
Having said that, this forum has a certain visual aspect to it, that is my picture next to my writing, so it would also be acceptable to say "I haven't SEEN you here lately." or, even more casually, "Long time, no see."

Joe(I'll try not to stay away so long.)Nation
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 03:17 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Never standard; possibly jocular mock Native American pidgin.

0 Replies