• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 11,644 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 03:30 am
@gungasnake,
I doubt that you can write a 'general history' about gun control - it's all different not only in the various historical periods but also due to different cultures and other 'circumstances'.

The main critic, however, is when you look at it from your own present position in your backyard and think that this situation is and has to be the norm worldwide.

Take "gun control" in Germany for instance.

Until the 19th century, any control of weapons (guns) was unknown in the German countries.
This changed first during the Napoleonic wars - I've got a gun license issued by the Royaume de Westphalie (from some maternal ancestor).
Later (1851), the Prussian Criminal Code made it an offence to deal with and to carry firearms hidden in sticks or similar.

During the period of the German Empire, there were various laws/regulations where you weren't allowed to carry arms, the dealing with weapons was more regualted, criminal acts done with firearms were punished with more prison time ... ... ....

There were some attempts by conservative parties to get a more stricter law regulating the ownership of weapons, but this was stopped by the outbreak of WWI.

The first order, which could be called "gun control" was issued in December 1918, followed by the law in 1919: you had to register your weapons, weapons were only allowed to those, who got a license ... ...

From 1920 onwards, mainly due to the results of the Spa Conference, gun laws became even more stricter than before, culminating in the gun laws of 1928, 1929 and 1931.

This changed when the Nazis came in power: suddenly, many Germans didn't have to get a license for owning guns or to register them: all Germans should get weapons to be armed ("Wehrhaftmachung des Deutschen Volkes").
Thus, there were no regulations for rifles etc at all, only when buying (not owning!) 'hand weapons', you had to get an allowance (which got civil servants, party members, car drivers, employees/workers of the railway company more or less automatically).

With the 1938 Weapons Act even more deregulations were made - now nearly everybody could own any kind of weapon.
However, with by-laws, Jews were forbidden from the manufacturing or dealing of firearms and ammunition. and Jews in Austria and Sudetenland lossed the right to possess firearms or other weapons.

After 1945, the Allied Forces didn't allow any German to carry and own weapons at all. (This ban was lifted for the police force in 1949, for Germany in 1954 ... and for the American Sector of Berlin in 2000.)

... ... ...
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 05:06 am
The general rule in the world has been that gun control has been part and parcel of deliberate policies which have killed tens of millions of people.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 05:16 am
@gungasnake,
I don't know. What I do know, however, is that unfortunately it has been the other way around in Germany: millions were killed because there was no gun control ...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 05:17 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
The general rule in the world has been that gun control has been part and parcel of deliberate policies which have killed tens of millions of people.
That 's very true; yes.
farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 06:34 am
@OmSigDAVID,
WALTER seems to have presented compelling evidence that, in Germany's war years there was no real gun control so the mass killings went on BECAUSE there were no limits on weapons. Seems to counter your fact-free assertion DAVE
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 09:14 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
That 's very true; yes.
Certainly one country (I don't know the original data and sources for the others) can be the exception proving the rule.
But then, it can't be "very true".
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 09:56 am
@farmerman,
Two problems with Hinkey's analysis...

One, it was't ordinary armed Germans who were rounding people up for camps, it was soldiers and cops under government orders and

Two, the people who most NEEDED guns when the **** hit the fan were not able to have or get them.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 10:08 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Two problems with Hinkey's analysis...
I don't know your name, gungasnake. But mine is Hinteler.

I didn't do an analysis.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 10:10 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
One, it was't ordinary armed Germans who were rounding people up for camps, it was soldiers and cops under government orders and

Two, the people who most NEEDED guns when the **** hit the fan were not able to have or get them.
Could you please give me the clue what this has to do with gun control?
And what time/period/year is "when the **** hit the fan"?
0 Replies