Can someone give me hope?

firefly

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 01:46 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I meant that I don't know the norm for who should do a total removal of wisdom teeth, and how it is preferably done, re pain relief.

I had 2 impacted wisdom teeth, which were growing sideways and fully impacted in bone, removed by an oral surgeon under local anesthetic (Novocaine) so I was fully awake and felt no pain during the extraction, but he had to exert considerable pressure on my jaws in the removal of the teeth, so there was some discomfort from that, particularly afterward.

I was given Demerol for pain relief afterward, but, after taking the second dose, I had a rather extreme reaction--I had nystagmus (rapid eye movements) and I suddenly zonked out for about 17 hours. I tend to be overly sensitive to opiates and I would be reluctant to take them again. The dentist then prescribed prescription strength Motrin and Darvon which were enough to help manage the discomfort.

I must say that the oral surgeon was a delightful fellow. He gave me a 5mg Valium to help me calm down beforehand, and that helped. And, when I was finally seated in the chair, and he was about to begin, he suddenly put down his instrument, went to a bookcase, removed a very large book, and opened it on my chest, saying, "I hope you don't mind, but I haven't done this before." That completely cracked me up and helped me feel less apprehensive. He continued to say rather funny things, and to tell a few jokes, as he removed the teeth, so it really wasn't all that unpleasant, mainly due to his good patient-skills.

As long as I don't feel pain, I'd rather be conscious for that sort of procedure. When I had it done, I think it was less common than it is now to use general anesthesia.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 01:55 pm
@firefly,
I had one wisdom tooth out - that's all - back in the early sixties. I probably had novocaine. That was a step up - my dentists before that used the running water spritzer method for drilling cavities.

I particularly remember the dentist back in Evanston, Illinois, in the fifties. He had chubby hands, so it was rather like a fist in the mouth. I don't think he even used the new fangled water method which showed up in my dental life some time later. I remember that I tended to rise up the chair back as he carried on his dental expertise.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 02:25 pm
@ossobuco,
There is no norm. It's patient-specific as most good medical or dental care is.

For example, most people I know get at least a topical anaesthetic when they have dental work done. I don't anymore. I've had fillings removed and replaced without any freezing. I suspect when it comes to wisdom tooth removal I would need some level of anaesthetic, but it would be less than some other patients as, to quote my tattoo guy: "awesome pain threshold dude".

One friend has to be knocked out before they can even clean her teeth.

A few years ago, Set refused anaesthetic when he had some major dental work done - he was concerned about being too woozy on the way home for me to be able to assist him.

We're all different with our tolerances.

firefly

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 02:39 pm
@ossobuco,
The only other thing I remember about having those wisdom teeth removed was how long the procedure took. Because the teeth were growing horizontally, and encased in bone, the oral surgeon had to section them and remove them piece by piece. It was difficult to keep holding my mouth open for the length of time involved, particularly because of the pressure that was also applied to my jaw muscles while those teeth were being pried out.

I really was thankful that the dentist had such a great sense of humor--it made a big difference for me, in particular. Most of the others I've encountered are a pretty humorless bunch.

0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 02:48 pm
@ehBeth,
The tolerance is emotional as well as physical. Novocaine will effectively eliminate pain for things like extractions or root canal, but some people have a hard time with anxiety about experiencing pain, or anxiety about the procedure, and they'd rather have sedation or anesthesia so they are less aware of what's going on.

As you say, the best method is patient-specific.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 03:49 pm
@ehBeth,
Makes sense.
0 Replies

resa216

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2014 09:52 pm
@PinkLipstick,
I am curious to know if you ever got the feeling back in your lower jaw area you indicated on the photo. I had all 4 of mine pulled and the bottom right tooth gave me the worst pain and took the longest to heal. It's been over 8 months now and I still haven't gained full feeling back. It still feels numb, it's annoying from time to time. I guess I've just accepted that this may be permanent...what can i really do? I signed a wavier that the surgeon could not be held responsible if i experienced temporary or permanent nerve damage. It sucks.
I did wake up briefly during my surgery, but i don't remember any pain like you described and that sounds horrible. It was for only a couple second then i went back under.
I'd like to know how you're doing now.
thanks so much!
0 Replies

Leah101

Reply Wed 27 May, 2015 07:38 am
Just wondering how you made with your numbness in your face. Did it go away completely? And how long did it take? @PinkLipstick
0 Replies

Leah101

Reply Wed 27 May, 2015 07:41 am
@PinkLipstick,
Hopefully you get this message. Just wondering how are you doing now? Did the numbness go away and how long did it take? Thanks so much!
0 Replies

ladlad

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2015 12:13 pm
I know this post was from a long time ago, but I recently just got my wisdom teeth pulled exactly a month ago and suffer from paresthesia due to IAN damage. I just wanted to share my experience with people who are going through the same thing, because I know that it is really scary.

After finishing up what I thought was a successful surgery, I realized after all my anesthesia wore off the next day something was wrong. My bottom right lip down to my chin was completely numb. I lost complete feeling (little to no tingling sensation), the area felt fat, and I kept drooling because I couldn't feel the saliva building up inside my mouth. I tried not to worry after reading all about it, but I cried after a week when there was no improvement whatsoever. It honestly felt devastating. I really felt like the damage was going to be permanent.

Another week rolled by and I started feeling some improvement but it was still hard to to tell if it was all in my head. I could've sworn the 3rd week felt like my lip and chin were even more numb. Now I'm through the 4th week and I actually can now say I do feel improvements. I woke up this morning and realized I could feel my whole bottom lip again! and I have more tingly (sometimes painful) sensations in my chin-but chin is still numb, but I the area of numbness seems to be getting smaller. Anyway, I am optimistic that I'll heal completely even if it is slowly. Hope this makes some people feel better!
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2015 01:07 pm
@ladlad,
Thanks for reporting the process of your having the numbness improve, however hard and slow as it has been, ladlad, and welcome to a2k.
0 Replies

lorielily101

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 05:58 pm
I had 2 wisdom teeth extracted in Sept 2015. I experienced nerve damage and numbness of my lower left chin and lip. I can say now in Dec 2015 that I finally have about 99% sensation back, which is 3 months post op. I did take vitamins B Complex, C, and Magnesium to help as well.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 06:01 pm
@lorielily101,
Glad to read that you've recovered from that numbness!

Welcome to a2k.
0 Replies

oceans11

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 08:11 am
@firefly,
Just relax and give it some time! It should be better and don't be so pessimistic just wait to see what your sisters doctor says and once you are there then you cross that bridge.
0 Replies

Michelle Wolfe

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2017 09:23 am
A shot of deadening meds was given to me six weeks ago. I felt the thunder bolt of pain immediately through my tongue. Six weeks later, I STILL have 24/7 pins and needles. I am taking 300 mg/3xday of Gabapentin and Hydrocodone. Hydrocodone helps with the constant BURNING I have without it. I'm not quite sure what the Gabapentin is supposed to be doing. I am a TEACHER!!! I have TWO weeks until school starts. I CANNOT teach like this, and I'm devastated at the thought! It is my PRAYER that one day, I'll just wake up, and it will be gone! It's been the worse summer of my life!
jespah

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2017 11:17 am
@Michelle Wolfe,
Go to a neurologist and see if they can do something for you.
Michelle Wolfe

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2017 11:03 pm
@jespah,
I go BACK to the neurologist on August 18th...since I last wrote, I've read where some people are still experiencing these side effects six years later! What a mess!!!
0 Replies