Proposed Missouri Constitutional Amendment on Religious Freedom

ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 10:25 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

most U's are already trade schools. What do you think engineering programs are?

I don't think most of what occurs in engineering programs these days belongs in universities - it belongs in community colleges and trade schools.
failures art

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 10:29 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

farmerman wrote:

most U's are already trade schools. What do you think engineering programs are?

I don't think most of what occurs in engineering programs these days belongs in universities - it belongs in community colleges and trade schools.

As a Missouri graduate with an engineering degree, I agree 100%.

I think it was great to learn lots of physics and software, but so many skills are developed in actual problem solving related to actual fabrication. Too much engineering coursework stays on a comfortable textbook path these days. And that software we learn, isn't what the firm that hires us will use.

A
R
T
spendius

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 11:17 am
@failures art,
That's for "ease of the bone" teaching methods fa. There are over 7 million teachers in the USA and they can't be expected to know what each and every employer wants except that willing and orderly workers are the foundation of it.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 11:21 am
@ehBeth,
The modern university is for extending the childhood and getting $90 grand in debt and being five years behind those who left school at the earliest opportunity on the greasy pole.

If parents think it is a good thing let them go themselves. Let them flatter their own egos on their own account.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 12:57 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Foofie wrote:

To get into a good university, one only has to answer tests correctly. One is not interrogated as to what one believes.

if one doesn't study the full range of sciences, the ability to answer the science questions correctly will be reduced - and that means MIT isn't going to be sending as many welcome notices to Missouri

it's all to the good as far as I'm concerned

One can learn what one needs to pass tests. One does not have to believe what is the correct answer on a test. Sort of like inner city youth having their own style of language, but if they choose to go to college, they can correctly answer questions that require standard English.
Foofie

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 12:59 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Our genotypes invented the Industrial Revolution. We handed on the baton having run our leg.

Sort of like Jews and monotheism.
spendius

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 01:46 pm
@Foofie,
I wouldn't say that was a useful comparison. That the practical mechanic believes that man can live by bread alone is not proof that he can.

But I will admit that it is a very plausible assertion in the ears of those who wish to remove the inhibitions of the Church regarding pantsdown positions and their consequences. It is a bet though.

But not with our own futures. We still have vestiges of those inhibitions. When they have gone will there be a way of returning to them if things don't work out.

That man can live by bread alone is possibly the most revolutionary idea that ever came our way. It is best not to think about such an idea too much.

Aldous Huxley only toyed with it in a posh 1920s English gentlemanly sort of fanny. It was very funny though. A law that said you had to have a different pneumatic hottie every night was right up his street. Ready spayed.

Even George Orwell allowed natural urges to exist. The Daleks went all the way.

It's all very well spouting that man can live by bread alone in a world in which he hasn't got near trying to. Let's give some thought to when he does do.

It was the practical mechanic baton we handed on. We never intended it to be applied to the contents of a lady's wardrobe and dressing room. It was so colonials could shift stuff inwards more efficiently. And grab what we could before they got fractious as everybody knew they would and snaking off unencumbered by invoices.

0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 08:37 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

spendius wrote:

Our genotypes invented the Industrial Revolution. We handed on the baton having run our leg.

Sort of like Jews and monotheism.

Correction. The Brits did not hand over the baton of the Industrial Revolution to the Yanks. The Yanks were better at it. The Yanks invented machines to carve wood, while the Brits had their guilded members doing everything by hand. The Yank initiative was remarkable to many a Brit that was content to produce widgets at a snails pace.

Also, comparing Jews and monotheism to Christianity and monotheism is incorrect, since early Christianity was a Jewish faith, and only due to the efforts of Saul (aka, St. Paul) was it turned into a faith for Gentiles. No baton handed over; more like taking over a faith (ironoically one of the negative stereotypes of Jews - projection from Psych 101, I believe).
spendius

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 03:16 pm
@Foofie,
Right on Foofie. That's the way to answer difficult questions. Get the audience gawping in astonishment.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 04:33 pm
You all seem to have overlooked the part about legislative bodies having the right to pray or hold prayer events. How does that pass the separation of church and state? They'll say all religions are welcome to participate. But, how is that a more appropriate action for government than the things the Right is screaming about needing to get government out of?

Shrink government.
Starve government of funds.
Now, let us pray.
spendius

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 05:00 pm
@squinney,
Quote:
You all seem to have overlooked the part about legislative bodies having the right to pray or hold prayer events.

It would never enter my head to overlook the rights of legislative bodies. They wouldn't be legislative bodies if they hadn't the right to do whatever they passed.

What made you think I had overlooked such an "in your face", obvious banality? I hope it wasn't that your asserting that I had overlooked the legal weather is scientific proof that you are more intelligent, more observant and more able to draw the correct conclusions from the evidence spread out in front of us, than I am.

Legislative bodies have the right to insist that their deliberations are conducted whilst participants are standing on the heads.

Let us pray indeed.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 08:40 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

Foofie wrote:

To get into a good university, one only has to answer tests correctly. One is not interrogated as to what one believes.

if one doesn't study the full range of sciences, the ability to answer the science questions correctly will be reduced - and that means MIT isn't going to be sending as many welcome notices to Missouri

it's all to the good as far as I'm concerned

One can learn what one needs to pass tests. One does not have to believe what is the correct answer on a test. Sort of like inner city youth having their own style of language, but if they choose to go to college, they can correctly answer questions that require standard English.

Wow. What a perfect argument against religious exemption.

A
R
T
0 Replies