Proposed Missouri Constitutional Amendment on Religious Freedom

farmerman

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 05:23 am
@wandeljw,
Isnt there a ratification process before they can declare a new amendment in effect?
wandeljw

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 05:25 am
@farmerman,
Apparently not. The news item says it will go into effect in thirty days. Note also how the question was worded on the ballot. The controversial implications were omitted.
farmerman

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 05:39 am
@wandeljw,
I wonder if that could be considered a "Defect" in the amendment? How can you include something in a referendum if its not stated IN the referendum?

Every time we have em in Pa, they are complete. If they have segments that make the original referendum too complicated, we break em up into secondary sections.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 06:32 am
@wandeljw,
The Kansas City Star, as quoted by WandelJW, wrote:
• Says students need not take part in assignments or presentations that violate their religious beliefs.

Does that mean what I think it means? No homework for you if evolution is up in your biology class and you adhere to a denomination that's in evolution-denial?
wandeljw

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 06:44 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

The Kansas City Star, as quoted by WandelJW, wrote:
• Says students need not take part in assignments or presentations that violate their religious beliefs.

Does that mean what I think it means? No homework for you if evolution is up in your biology class and you adhere to a denomination that's in evolution-denial?

It means that and more. They also do not need to take part in "presentations" which I assume means classes. If the biology teacher schedules two weeks to cover the section on evolution, they can skip their biology classes for 2 weeks.
Thomas

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 08:44 am
Oh, great. Long live religious freedom.
Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 08:56 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

I've always felt that the religiouis types who fulminate against science and science education should be allowed that religious freedom. Then their children can attempt to enrol at good universities and compete in a job market which expects them to have been given a decent science education. The effect might take a few generations, but it would be evolutionary--a vast, devout, unskilled labor pool.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 08:57 am
What if your religion forbids learning anything? Wouldn't that get the young'ns out of school for good? I'm not talking about religious objections to some subjects, like evolution or sex education or recess. I'm talking about religions that reject all advances in modern knowledge. Like the Amish. Or the Southern Baptists.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 09:04 am
Every once in awhile there is a glimmer of hope:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/08/bobby-jindal-school-voucher_n_1755449.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009<br />
Last night I had the strangest dream:
I dreamed that a law had been passed that said parents could teach their children anything they wanted, but they weren't allowed to lie to them.

~~
I really like what Set said above though, we should let the yahoos stay yahoos. And tell them, "Thanks for leaving space for progressive students to get the higher paying jobs."

Joe(maroons)Nation
Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 09:13 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
. . . we should let the yahoos stay yahoos. And tell them, "Thanks for leaving space for progressive students to get the higher paying jobs."

Eggs-acktly . . .

0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 09:22 am
oboy....there's more....
http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/2012/07/photos-evangelical-curricula-louisiana-tax-dollars

and don't miss clicking on the link that takes you to Bobby (We held her down.) Jindal's big exorcism adventure.

Joe(you can't make this stuff up)Nation
wandeljw

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 09:28 am
@Joe Nation,
The most baffling aspect to Bobby Jindal is that he was a top pre-med student at Brown University, graduating with honors.
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 10:10 am
@wandeljw,
It's possible to be book smart and bible dumb.

John Boehner, the present Speaker of the House, wants Intelligent Design taught in the Public Schools.

Joe(difficult, but possible)Nation
failures art

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 11:24 am
My god ate my homework.

A
R
T
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 11:33 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Thomas wrote:

I've always felt that the religiouis types who fulminate against science and science education should be allowed that religious freedom. Then their children can attempt to enrol at good universities and compete in a job market which expects them to have been given a decent science education. The effect might take a few generations, but it would be evolutionary--a vast, devout, unskilled labor pool.

Educational darwinism at work. Sounds good to me. Self-weeding out the mentally weak.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 03:04 pm
I live near Missouri and every politician sounds like a preacher and all the preachers sound like politicians. Glad I dont live there.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 05:23 pm
@Joe Nation,
If they teach ID in Civics class, fine---but don't teach theology in Science classes.

Rap
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 05:26 pm
If a student opts out of Science because they want to pray then that should be noted on the diploma upon graduation.

Perhaps with a pentagram.

Rap
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 05:51 pm
@wandeljw,
This would be hard to believe except that we've had so much of this ferment for a while now.

Exceptionally depressing result, though expected.

I presume this can be challenged in court(s)?
Foofie

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 06:20 pm
I'm not so sure that there will be a deleterious effect on the students that opt out of certain teachings. I say this since the home schooled kids have their own curriculum that focusses on things like multiplication tables and memorization that was once the foundation of everyone's schooling. Those older folks built this country and its organizations.

The home schooled kid may excel at taking assignments seriously, and having respect for one's elders. A commodity that may be rewarded in corporate America tomorrow.