Do you think I should turn myself in?

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 12:47 pm
I was driving to my parents home from uni. and I did something stupid.

Straight to the point, then.
It was 2 am in the highway, I was driving some miles over the speed limit, and a cop started to tail me from a distance off. In my sleepy adrenaline rush, I turned off the head light, sped up and drove out of the road and after a while reached a cornfield, and then used the handbrakes to stop the wrangler. I was shocked that I did this. So I waited for an hour, backed up, and continued driving.

God I feel so guilty.

(I haven't told my parents either, I don't want to worry them.)

View best answer, chosen by aspvenom
dalehileman

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 12:51 pm
@aspvenom,
Well Asp, you didn’t hurt anyone and anyhow I forgive you
0 Replies

contrex

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 12:54 pm
I think perhaps you should worry because you blame your consciously decided upon and executed criminal actions on an "adrenaline rush". Hopefuly for your fellow citizens it won't be too long before one of these "rushes" will lead to you getting in the criminal justice system, and then you will either get some help to address your behavior and take responsibility for it, or be safely locked up. I just hope nobody else gets hurt before that happens.

aspvenom

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 12:57 pm
@contrex,
That place is about 4 hours drive from my parents home.
Do you think I can go to jail for this? if so how long? And will this get me kicked out of the university?
tsarstepan

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 01:01 pm
@aspvenom,
If you can wrack your brain, how distant do you think the police car was? If you think the car was far enough back (far enough that he couldn't read your license plate) then don't bother.

Did he at any time turn his siren and lights on?
If not then don't bother turning yourself in. He most likely wasn't tailing you at all and was just coincidentally going the same way that you were.
Mame

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 01:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
Agree... he probably wasn't tailing you. If he was, he'd have turned his siren on and sped up. Cops don't generally tail for hours - he was probably just driving on that road like you were.

Just slow down in future and make sure you're awake. You could have killed someone, so be careful, ok?
0 Replies

aspvenom

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 01:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
His light was on, but not the sirens. I could see it as the car as a dot on my rear view mirror, flashing colors, and speeding up. There was no one else on the road, which makes me think it really was after me.
tsarstepan

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 01:23 pm
@aspvenom,
Do you remember/see if he did a u-turn before he started following you?

You likely dodged a bullet as he most likely couldn't identify you or your car by your license plate.
Atom Blitzer

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 01:24 pm
@aspvenom,
Are you crazy?

If you didn't get caught, you'd have to be an idiot to turn yourself in. You have more to loose by turning yourself in than just shutting up, and being more careful on the road next time.
aspvenom

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 01:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
No, I was half dazed in sleep, and suddenly jolted by an excessive breaking noise. Looking at my rear view mirror, I saw flashing lights. And then I acted stupidly.
0 Replies

aspvenom

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 01:28 pm
@Atom Blitzer,
Well I was just wondering if turning my self in has a lesser punishment than if the cops trace me and come knocking at my door any day for this incident.
Butrflynet

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 01:49 pm
@aspvenom,
Who owns the car?

If it is not yours, you might let the owner know what happened because there is probably some damage to the car, paint scratches at the minimum.

Learn from this and don't try to make such along drive on so little sleep. The scare you got from that police car probably saved your life.
Rorschach

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 01:59 pm
@aspvenom,
Why would you go over the speed limit in a wrangler? That thing becomes unstable after 75mph.
Hiding out in the cornfield at night.
Now that's silly, but I suppose effective to loose a cop.

Thank your jeep off road capabilities.

You should contact fiat or chrysler, while you're sharing this story here. I'm sure they can use your story as some kind of an advertising campaign. I'd imagine: "Wrangler's is unbeatable off-road that even the cops are green with envy"
Joe Nation

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 02:01 pm
@aspvenom,
No.

Joe(don't tell anyone -even us- and don't do it again)Nation
0 Replies

aspvenom

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 02:03 pm
@Butrflynet,
It's mine. As far as I inspected, there is no paint damage, just some corn leaf stuck up in the grill, and muddy side doors.

Ya I should have stopped by at a star bucks.
0 Replies

aspvenom

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 02:06 pm
@Rorschach,
I was only partly conscious, it was a mistake nevertheless. My foot was sleeping on the peddle, and it was hurdling along at 70 when I was jolted awake at a 55mph speed limited country road.
0 Replies

JPB

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 02:08 pm
@aspvenom,
If it was dark and the car was a dot in the rear distance then it's highly unlikely that they're going to trace you. You don't know if they were following you or responding to a call from their dispatcher. Not the brightest move you ever made but no one got hurt so my advice is to stay silent unless they do someday knock on your door. In that case DO NOT LIE! Fess up and take your licks. Chances are they aren't going to spend much energy tracking down a speeder who was that far ahead of them.

My advice would be the opposite if there'd been an injury or accident and you'd left the scene.
aspvenom

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 02:10 pm
@JPB,
No, no injury, or no other vehicles were involved.

Thanks. So I'll just stay quiet for now, and see what may come.
JPB

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 02:13 pm
@aspvenom,
OTOH, the price of corn is expected to be high this year. How much damage did you do to the corn field?
aspvenom

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 02:18 pm
@JPB,
I don't know. It was a long stretch of cornfields that kept going and going for some while.I kind of drove into it and pulled the hand breaks, so it skidded for like 5 seconds or something into the field.