Do you think I should turn myself in?

JPB

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 02:24 pm
@aspvenom,
I was teasing you (mostly). It's something to keep in mind when you think about the possible ramifications of dumb decisions. You know it was dumb and hopefully you'll learn something from it. The short answer re turning yourself in remains the same.... no.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 02:33 pm
As far as the cop knows he saw a car in the distance going fast, turned his lights on and the car turned off on a side road shortly thereafter ~end of story.

If he was pursuing you, he would have doubled back, turned the big light on to find where you left the road and

pursued you.

Joe(go to sleep....it's over)Nation.
Ragman

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 02:48 pm
@Joe Nation,
Not saying that this definitely has happened, but had trhe cop been close enough at some point, it's entirely possible with the level of equip't technological sophistication level and ability to search a database in seconds, he may already have your info. Many times lawbreakers find a citation in their mail in a short period of time. People who make a practice of speeding or running red lights, find themselves on Candid Camera and the recipient of a whopping fine.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 02:58 pm
@aspvenom,
aspvenom wrote:

I was driving to my parents home from uni. and I did something stupid.

Straight to the point, then.
It was 2 am in the highway, I was driving some miles over the speed limit, and a cop started to tail me from a distance off. In my sleepy adrenaline rush, I turned off the head light, sped up and drove out of the road and after a while reached a cornfield, and then used the handbrakes to stop the wrangler. I was shocked that I did this. So I waited for an hour, backed up, and continued driving.

God I feel so guilty.

(I haven't told my parents either, I don't want to worry them.)

Turn yourself in? Are you crazy?

Go find one of your friends and ask them to give you a nice smack across the jowls for suggesting such a thing.

If you feel guilty, just don't do it again. No need to go looking for trouble.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 03:01 pm
@aspvenom,
I think you're having us on to see whether anybody is soft-headed enough to parade their civic responsibility quotient before our admiring gaze.

That they would likely drop the cop in the **** probably wouldn't concern them.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 03:05 pm
@aspvenom,
But you did get in that you are going to university which it wasn't necessary to mention for the question you asked us.

So now we know that we will have to treat you with more respect than we might any old Tom, Dick or Harry A2Ker.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 03:08 pm
@aspvenom,
"Straight to the point" was funny though. Seeing as how the point had gone at the time. You being a member of the elite and all.
aspvenom

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 03:12 pm
@spendius,
I'm not going out of my way to get anyone's respect or attention. I simply shed light on my incident, which I stupidly got into, to get advice as to what would be the best option in dealing with it.
I consider myself in no position to be an "elite." Just an average citizen who is uncertain of the consequences.
Linkat

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 03:15 pm
Great - after reading this I'm going to have to turn myself in. About 15 or more years ago, I went with a friend to UK - we rented a car after leaving the airport. We were so tired that when we got to the B&B we were staying at, we just parked right in front even though it was a no parking zone.

After a nap we went out to move the car and saw it had a parking ticket on it. I went to go throw it away - my friend said what aren't you going pay it? I said no way - I'm from outta the country by the time they trace it, the cost of the ticket isn't going to be worth them looking for me.

I've never paid it. I think I need to turn myself in.
Ragman

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 03:19 pm
@aspvenom,
If the car's registration is in your name, all you can do is wait for the mail to deliver your special invitation. You'll either get a ticket or you won't. However, don't assume just because you hid yourself in a field after your dastardly crime that you definitely escaped detection.
spendius

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 03:20 pm
@Linkat,
Please don't. It will cost a fortune if you initiate such a process.
Linkat

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 03:23 pm
@spendius,
Yeah just imagine how much the interest and late fees would be after 15 years.
Ragman

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 03:35 pm
@Linkat,
You single-handedly could be the cause of the imbalance of UK budget.
0 Replies

BillRM

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 04:36 pm
@aspvenom,
First one would think/hope they have better more important things to do and second even with a plate they have no proof that you are the driver.

If they would show up just refused to talk to them as you are under no legal obligation to do so.
tsarstepan

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 04:37 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I'm from outta the country by the time they trace it, the cost of the ticket isn't going to be worth them looking for me.

I've never paid it. I think I need to turn myself in.

Hey Linkat? How much would your bounty for your arrest be if you perchance happened to have one placed on your head? Just asking... to make conversation. That's all. Surprised Twisted Evil
BillRM

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 04:42 pm
@Ragman,
Sorry but a car owner is not responsible for laws being broken unless there is proof that he was also the driver.

Nor is he under any legal obligation to talk to the police.

Keeping his mouth shut and refusing to talk to the cops if they would call on him and he is petty must bullet proof.

Say these magic words I will talk to my lawyer and see if he will suggest that I talk to you over this matter in the meantime I am not going to talk to you so please have a nice day.
BillRM

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 04:53 pm
@BillRM,
spendius

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 05:06 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:

First one would think/hope they have better more important things to do and second even with a plate they have no proof that you are the driver.

If they would show up just refused to talk to them as you are under no legal obligation to do so.

The topic is venom's guilt feelings Bill. And we all know what you said is his human rights.

Only the most cynical of us will sleep tonight rather than be wrestling in a muck-sweat over his moral perfections.
BillRM

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 07:00 pm
@spendius,
Sorry but most people do not in their bones understand their legal rights otherwise the prison system population would be cut in half at least in the US.

Most people end up talking themselves into prison then not.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 08:42 pm
@aspvenom,
Quote:
Do you think I should turn myself in?

Only if you're a demoKKKrat. If so, tell the judge you need to be in jail until about the middle of November.
0 Replies