somebody is shut down? What does it mean?

Nancy88

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 02:51 am
This capacity feels to me like such a critical piece because when I was growing up I was not very happy. I was quite shut down and judgmental. I’m not saying this out of any sense of shame—it is just a pure acknowledgment of how I was, of how unhappy I was.

What does it mean when we say somebody is shut down?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 6,255 • Replies: 7
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 03:12 am
@Nancy88,
This is an odd use of the term.

I would interpret "shut down" here to mean emotionally detached, as if he turned off his emotions. What is throwing me off is the combination of this term with "judgmental" which doesn't seem to be related at all.

In my opinion this is not well written.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 03:19 am
@Nancy88,
Nancy88 wrote:

This capacity feels to me like such a critical piece because when I was growing up I was not very happy. I was quite shut down and judgmental. I’m not saying this out of any sense of shame—it is just a pure acknowledgment of how I was, of how unhappy I was.

What does it mean when we say somebody is shut down?
I suspect that we need the sentence before this quote to figure out what is going on for sure, but it looks like "shut down" = dead inside...that this refers to a shut down inner life.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 06:36 am
@Nancy88,

Not open-minded, not receptive nor responsive.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 07:03 am
to be "shut down" = withdrawn to oneself, not allowing oneself to feel, non communicative.

Usually people "shut down" after an incident.

I wonder if this person meant "shy"

ehBeth

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 08:19 am
@PUNKEY,
It's from page 2 of this book.

http://www.amazon.ca/Beginners-Guide-Insight-Meditation/dp/0609806475#reader_0609806475

The context doesn't particularly help.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 06:59 pm
In this context, it would mean not open to possibilities, opportunities, or wonderments of life.

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 07:14 pm
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

In this context, it would mean not open to possibilities, opportunities, or wonderments of life.

If so then this person is equating introversion with unhappiness...which is a prejudicial bias. Hopefully this is not what is meant, that "dead inside" is closer, that can not feel is what is going on and not resisting the new as you have it.
0 Replies