Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 12:39 pm
JG10, you have said that funding is the only thing standing in your way of your goal of getting your comics published. Well, I have found the perfect website for you. They even have a comics section so you can see what others in your field have done and model yours after the best parts of theirs.

Here is how they describe themselves:

Quote:
Kickstarter is the largest funding platform for creative projects in the world. Every week, tens of thousands of amazing people pledge millions of dollars to projects from the worlds of music, film, art, technology, design, food, publishing and other creative fields.

A new form of commerce and patronage. This is not about investment or lending. Project creators keep 100% ownership and control over their work. Instead, they offer products and experiences that are unique to each project.

All or nothing funding. On Kickstarter, a project must reach its funding goal before time runs out or no money changes hands. Why? It protects everyone involved. Creators aren’t expected to develop their project without necessary funds, and it allows anyone to test concepts without risk.

Each and every project is the independent creation of someone like you. Projects are big and small, serious and whimsical, traditional and experimental. They’re inspiring, entertaining and unbelievably diverse. We hope you agree... Welcome to Kickstarter!

http://www.kickstarter.com/

You will note that there is a time limit for your fundraising on their site. This will help you overcome your inertia and give you incentive to formalize your proposal and comic samples.

I suggest you thoroughly read and understand the links at the bottom of their homepage for their guidelines and terms of use for the site so you don't repeat mistakes you've made at other sites.

Now that you have a resource for fundraising for your comics, there shouldn't be anything else standing in your way.

Good luck!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 2,966 • Replies: 34

Questioner

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 12:44 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

Now that you have a resource for fundraising for your comics, there shouldn't be anything else standing in your way.

I foresee this spawning many more threads by JG. Such as 'what browser should I use to log in to kickstarter with?' and 'If I were to show a sample of what I want to do on kickstarter, should I show a dog and cat in a cape, or would that be too racially contrived?'

etc, etc. . . .

There will ALWAYS be something standing in the way of JG, and that something is JG.
djjd62

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 12:46 pm
@Butrflynet,
a radio show i love is a big fan of Kickstarter, they had the director of a George Plimpton documentary on to discuss how Kickstarter works and how it funded the doc, and a friend of theirs who is an independent film maker is now using it to fund his newest project
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 12:48 pm
@djjd62,
I learned about it from a friend of a friend on Facebook who is trying to fund a music CD project of his.

I may use it myself after I come up with a project idea for it.
djjd62

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 12:54 pm
@Butrflynet,
the film projects are pretty cool, large donations get you production credits which mean you'd be on IMDB, would make kind of a cool vanity present for folks with some disposable cash, i think the amount on the doc was $4,000 for a credit, larger amounts got you credits, goodies (advance dvd copies, art work stuff like that) and a red carpet event
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 02:04 pm
@Questioner,
So here is the challenge, JG. Prove Questioner and all the other "doubters" wrong. No more excuses or delays. Post a funding proposal on Kickstart to see what kind of funding support it gets when you tell all your Christian friends about your idea for a new Christian comic series for kids.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 09:48 pm
Wow! I will have to check that out myself for getting my art studio off the ground. Thank you for posting that.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 01:20 am
Was at a show tonight of an endearing Boston singer-songwriter who funded her current CD project, now in the final mixing stage, thru Kickstarter. She was effusive in her praise. It works.

Of course, that's not JG's problem. He will NEVER have enough money or enough preparation to actually do anything, no matter how much money he might ever get. Now he maintains he can't possibly start until he's got 4 or 5,000 dollars of drawing and publishing software, and has taken innumerable courses and spent years learning how to use it, completely ignoring the fact that ALL the comic artists whose work he admires did their work years before you could actually use a computer for drawing. THEY spent 10 bucks on a drawing pad, a few pencils and an art gum eraser, and a couple drawing pens and nibs. TEN BUCKS, maybe even just five, and they were ready to go. And they did. He's never gonna do anything but ask the same questions on a2k over and over. Kickstarter's good, but he's gonna have to go a long way to prove he's a good investment and not a money sink.
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 08:40 am
@MontereyJack,
When he does, the only reply to him should be "post your idea on Kickstart and see what feedback you get via funding."

When he does, the other only reply to him should be "have you posted your idea on Kickstart yet?"

This Kickstart site is as much a resource for us as it is for him. It gives us a place to detour his endless flow of questions and puts the onus back on him to do something about it rather than distracting himself with the other endless "research" nonsense.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 11:56 am
@Butrflynet,
Thank you. Please stop CRITICIZING my research or putting it down by calling it "nonsense". Researching ideas for my comics and getting it developed is not nonsense.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 11:58 am
Do I need any kind of collateral to get involved with Kickstart? Do I need to write a proposal for them?
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 12:09 pm
@JGoldman10,
http://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/kickstarter%20basics

http://www.kickstarter.com/help/guidelines

http://www.kickstarter.com/help/school
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 12:12 pm
I put JGoldman10 on Ignore 6 months ago after going through all this same exact stuff over and over and over again with him and here you all are doing it one more time. Now I have to wonder who is crazier...
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 12:22 pm
@JGoldman10,
You are not researching, you're procrastinating.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 12:28 pm
izzythepush told jgoldman:
Quote:

I think that bears repeating:
Quote:

Are you listening, jg:
Quote:

He definitely has a point:
Quote:

Can't repeat the truth too many times, there's always time for one more:
Quote:

Is there an echo somewhere in here?
Quote:
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 12:31 pm
Could you folks take this to one of his many other threads where you've done this please. I'm trying to do something constructive here.

Thanks.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 12:37 pm
@Butrflynet,
I know you mean well Butrflynet, but having done basically the same thing with him months ago I think you are wasting your time when you could be helping others. After recommending Kickstarter I realized no one is going to give him money because he can't actually produce anything. JG10 is obviously mentally ill and we are just feeding his problems by going in these circles with him (which he obviously enjoys immensely).
izzythepush

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 12:39 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

Could you folks take this to one of his many other threads where you've done this please. I'm trying to do something constructive here.

Thanks.

You're really sweet and lovely, but at this rate you'll be drawing the comic long before he does. I won't comment on this thread again. I'll just wish you luck, because you'll need it.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 12:40 pm
@Green Witch,
Thanks for the advice. Feel free to thumb down this topic if you don't wish to see it. That's what the thumbs are for.

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 12:41 pm
@izzythepush,
Thank you.
0 Replies