Do you exercise?

chai2

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 06:58 am
I don't mean the officially sanctioned running, jogging, aerobics at the gym, etc.

Do you do something regularly that You consider exercise, even if it's working on a jigsaw puzzle? (if you don't consider that exercise, don't list it)

If what you do in day to day living counts, that's fine.
If you don't do anything you consider exercise, please say so. If you have no desire to start, ok.

No judgements, no "that's not exercise", or "you should be doing something" please.

I'll start.

In the heat of summer, I've enjoyed going to the pool. No swimming, but I'll tread waters, paddle around, stretch at the side of the pool.
I was doing yoga, and intend to go back to that when it cools down.

djjd62

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 07:04 am
i walk to the edge of town and back every morning (about 4.5 km), no power walking but a fairly brisk pace
OmSigDAVID

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 07:07 am

GUNNERY PRACTICE!

Thomas Jefferson recommended that over ball games,
in writing to his 12 year old nephew. He advised him
to take his gun with him every time he went out for a walk. That 's exercise.

David
ehBeth

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 07:07 am
@chai2,
Dance class.
1.5 hours of bellydance a week.
1.5 hours of Egyptian folkloric dance a week.
Little bits of practice at odd times through the week ... waiting at the bus stop ... standing on the back stoop while the dogs do their wander/sniff/business ...

It's a lot of schvitzing this time of year but I'm addicted.
Mame

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 07:11 am
I walk to and fro work (total 3 km) and walk about 5 km AT work (wore my pedometer one day), and ride my bike from time to time around the neighbourhood.

Also gardening - digging beds, amending them, lugging bags of stuff around, etc, which is hard labour to me.

Otherwise, no. I'm way too lazy.
jespah

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 07:13 am
@chai2,
Swimming when it's hot; walking when it isn't. Snow shoveling in the Winter months (kinda wish I was doing that right about now -- don't tell anyone but I kinda enjoy it). I also lift weights every morning.
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 07:38 am
@Mame,
Thanks for mentioning gardening, that's definitely a workout. Especially on my back slope when I have to hold weird yoga-ish positions for a long time.

Beyond that I walk a fair amount (maybe 5 -10 miles/week total, nothing purposeful just getting here and there, I try not to use the car for short distances and there are a lot of things within a short distance), I bounce on the exercise ball I use as a desk chair (seriously, that helps), I do crunches on the exercise ball every now and then, regular housework, swimming in the pool (actually I usually play basketball when I'm in the pool, not a big swimmer) (there's an in-pool hoop), and get to the gym occasionally. Way too occasionally since my workout buddy moved away last year. (Schniff, still miss her.)

And today I'm getting my first bike in like 20 years! I'm super-excited. I already walk a lot, I want to start riding for the more in-between trips (not super-short, not long). Grocery store, that sort of thing. Getting a basket and a rack. This is it, ain't she a beauty??

http://www.bowcycle.com/bc11/images/bikes/hybrid-comfort/electra-cruiser-7d-mint-ladies.jpg
chai2

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 07:51 am
@sozobe,
Nice bike.

Yeah, gardening isn't a joke. You're right about the yoga positions. Sitting on the ground curling one leg around, balancing, swiveling twisting bending etc.

A couple of years back I bought a cheap bike at walmart, thinking riding around the neighborhood would be nice.
THEN I remembered, after I got on, how much I really never enjoyed biking. Laughing

0 Replies

Fido

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 07:52 am
@chai2,
I do the sanctioned sort, and the unsanctioned which I call gardening/fiddling in my junk pile... This and reading is the extent of my mental exercise... My wife often has me doing emotional gymnastics... All and all; I can either fight or run away...
0 Replies

parados

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 08:01 am
@chai2,
The dogs require it every day which means I walk every morning. An hour or more on weekends, at least 30 minutes on week day mornings.
tsarstepan

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 08:02 am
@parados,
I walk home from work about 3 to 4 times a week. The length of the journey depends on the route and bridge I take. Usually walk across the 59th St. Bridge which is now called the Ed Koch Bridge. That's about 6.3 to 6.5 mile walk.

Started this walking journal thread though I haven't been keeping it updated because of the uneventful/unnotable walks these past couple of months.
http://able2know.org/topic/144100-1
0 Replies

djjd62

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 08:05 am
i also get exercise by gardening
0 Replies

Linkat

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 08:14 am
@chai2,
I sit on my fat a$$ and watch my kids play ball.
0 Replies

Thomas

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 08:17 am
@sozobe,
Cool bike! Don't forget to have the shop add fenders, so you can grocery-shop when streets are wet after a rainfall. They help a lot keeping your clothes clean.
Linkat

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 08:18 am
@chai2,
Actually I get alot of "play" exercise". I walk the dog in the morning; I play and run with him in the house when I get home from work - he loves to wrestle with his toys. I play with my kids, housework (this is not play); I have a good walk to and from my parking spot at work and my office.

And at least once I week, I do a more official workout with the gym equipment - unfortunately that is about all the time I have for an official workout.

BK (before kids) - I used to go to the gym 4 times a week.

And I do alot of sitting on my a$$ watching kids play sports - I do believe there is some physical output with the clenching of teeth and getting up and walking away when there are inappropriate parents...holding back on punching people stuff like that.
Questioner

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 08:21 am
@chai2,

Sanctioned sort here, but in addition I bought a push mower (aka: no drive train) and a fairly hefty trimmer that I lug all over the yard. I also walk the dog 2 - 3 times a day for about a mile and a half total.

@sozobe
I really should get a bike.
0 Replies

Chights47

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 08:32 am
@chai2,
Gardening and yard work in the summer is hard because it's so hot and muggy, my fiance is suppose to do the gardening while I do the rest of the yard work but she never gets around to it. After the weeds got to about 2' in height I just took it over. I also mountain bike, walk my dogs, use a Proform Ab Glider, and occasionally play paintball.
sozobe

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 08:46 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

And I do alot of sitting on my a$$ watching kids play sports - I do believe there is some physical output with the clenching of teeth and getting up and walking away when there are inappropriate parents...holding back on punching people stuff like that.

Oh yeah. Major calorie-burner.

(Seriously, my jaw hurt after sozlet's recent championship game -- it was really close and really tense and I tried so so hard not to get into it but that got channeled into brutally clenched teeth.)
Linkat

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 08:49 am
@Chights47,
Oh and I was told by my doctor, I can no longer help my husband in our garden. Seems there is alot of poison ivy (which I never had a reaction to my whole life) and I ended up with this vile stuff in my eyes - I had to take steriods (baseball here I come) so she told me no more gardening.
Linkat

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 08:50 am
@sozobe,
Yeah those muscle clenching - I have it throughout my body.