I just ate a pizza

JPB

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 04:28 pm
@panzade,
That's the salary structure for most delivery folks, panz. They generally earn tip-based minimum wage which is as low as $2.13/hr plus tips.

Quote:
The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires payment of at least the federal minimum wage to covered, nonexempt employees. An employer of a tipped employee is only required to pay $2.13 an hour in direct wages if that amount plus the tips received equals at least the federal minimum wage, the employee retains all tips and the employee customarily and regularly receives more than $30 a month in tips. If an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference.

They don't get the delivery fee. That goes to the franchise owner to pay his costs of having an employee on hand to make the delivery. Some drivers get a mileage credit, others have to cover the cost of the gas and wear & tear on the vehicles themselves. It's not a lucrative job unless they are well tipped.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 07:41 pm
Outside of NYC and its environs, is there such a thing as square (Sicilian) pizza? I would guess in Philly, but elsewhere?
LionTamerX

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 07:43 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
Outside of NYC and its environs, is there such a thing as square (Sicilian) pizza? I would guess in Philly, but elsewhere?

We have it in N.C. but only in a couple of pizzerias.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 07:59 pm
@Foofie,
Square pizza can be found in Toronto, and many other cities in Canada.

Also in Buenos Aires.

Lots of Sicilians in several parts of Canada and Argentina.

Perhaps because I grew up in a small city with a number of Sicilian immigrant families, square pizza doesn't seem like that unusual a thing.

wiki tells us that the square pie is popular in Utica, New York
msolga

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 01:20 am
@LionTamerX,
Well I wouldn't dream of buying pizza from one of those chain outlets.
Not that we have too many of them where I live.
We have lots of Italian pizza places,large & small, though some are good & others are definitely quite ordinary.
A few years ago I discovered the real thing nearby, located in a most unusual setting for an eatery of any sort, rather industrial & not exactly a lively spot at night. Certainly not in some established eating/entertainment strip..
But their pizzas were absolute heaven!
Obviously they still are ... now you have to book ahead to reserve a table any night of the week & they haven't done home deliveries for years ...
They've never advertised much at all, it's all word of mouth from extremely satisfied customers.
laughoutlood

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 03:24 am
@msolga,
How delicious.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 04:26 am
@ehBeth,
When i was a kid, and my grandmother made pizza for us, we got rectangular pizza, because all of her baking pans were rectangular. Go with the flow.
farmerman

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 04:45 am
@Setanta,
remeber that pi ARE square
oolongteasup

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 05:52 am
@farmerman,
pi is always different

i well remember that first volume of radius z and height a pi*zz*a
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 06:07 am
@Setanta,
same here, folks had rectangular cookie sheets growing up, i don't think i saw an actual round pizza pan in someone's house until about my 2nd last year in high school (79/80), a friends mom bought some
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 06:24 am
Good pizza is good pizza even if it's square or rectangular, and crap pizza is crap pizza even if it's round.
djjd62

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 08:11 am
@Setanta,
the plaza where i worked had a pizza nova in it, not bad pizza, and the guys that worked there always made us better than average ones, plus at christmas we'd end up working really late some nights and they'd bring us free pizzas that were undeliverable (prank calls, no answers, arguments over price or delivery time (even though they had no "this time or it's free" deal))
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 08:23 am
I used to order from a place in Columbus, Ohio, near the OSU campus. I paid, and i also tipped them well. I got my pies in 15 minutes or less, often so hot i had to let them cool before i could eat them. It was worth a couple of bucks to me.
wayne

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 08:28 am
@Setanta,
Great philosophy, if you want good service, be a good customer.
Setanta

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 08:36 am
@wayne,
I used to get 'em stoned sometimes, too . . . but keep that under yer hat, i wouldn't want to be known publicily . . .
wayne

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 08:38 am
@Setanta,
Now that's a good customer, hypothetically speaking of course.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 02:03 pm
@farmerman,
No, cornbread are square.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 04:36 pm
@roger,
Some pizzas in Rome are rectangular or square. I've only had some of that once, in a very ordinary place near the opera house. I'll go ahead and surmise, perhaps unwisely, that this is a sort of easy routine shop, not a favorite place.

http://bobarno.com/thiefhunters/wp-content/uploads/pizza-in-rome.jpg

0 Replies

thack45

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 04:41 pm
@Setanta,
Ooh. Was it Hounddog's? Mmm.
Mame

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 07:23 pm
I just ate a baked potato with butter and salt .... mmmm....mmmmm... mmmmmm.... but I sure wouldn't say no to a pepperoni pizza. That's a great idea.