0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 04:38 am
“We are an impossibility in an impossible universe.”
― Ray Bradbury
vonny

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 02:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
Let's use our stories to encourage listening to one another and to hear not just the good news, but also the pain that lies at the back of a lot of people's stories and histories.
- Karen Armstrong
spendius

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 03:15 pm
@vonny,
"The crease is a lonely place".

The Cricketer's Almanac.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 03:19 pm
Speaking of gungasnake:

"No one can have a higher opinion of him than I have -- and I think he is a dirty little beast."
--W.S. Gilbert
JTT

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 09:27 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
You're the equal of gunga, Merry. You're both ignorant as all get out on language issues. Gunga isn't as much of an apologist/supporter of US war criminals and US terrorists as you are.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 04:27 am
“Absolute power does not corrupt absolutely, absolute power attracts the corruptible.”
― Frank Herbert
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 06:50 am
@edgarblythe,
Louise Bourgeois wrote:

As soon as a work is finished, it leaves here. Whatever you see I am allowed to change. This is my privilege. But then art is a privilege to do what you damn want.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2z7n7mb.jpg
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 09:17 am
@vonny,
vonny wrote:

Let's use our stories to encourage listening to one another and to hear not just the good news, but also the pain that lies at the back of a lot of people's stories and histories.
- Karen Armstrong

Is this the Karen Armstrong who wrote the History Of God?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 09:19 am
"I'm at the outer limits of the comfort zone" coined by me at my friend Slinky's house one night when the acid started getting weird.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 01:03 pm
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
- Friedrich Nietzsche
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 01:08 pm
The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be.
- Anne Frank
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 01:24 pm
"My illness is due to my doctor's insistence that I drink milk, a whitish fluid they force down helpless babies."
-- W.C. Fields
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 02:29 pm
“Don't be ashamed to weep; 'tis right to grieve. Tears are only water, and flowers, trees, and fruit cannot grow without water. But there must be sunlight also. A wounded heart will heal in time, and when it does, the memory and love of our lost ones is sealed inside to comfort us.”
― Brian Jacques,
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 02:47 pm
"Sometimes it's worse to win a fight than to lose."
-- Billie Holiday

(Lady Day died on this date in 1959)
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 07:21 pm
My wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death. One or the other of us has to go.
.... Oscar Wilde

(Reportedly, those were actually his final words, rather than the oft quoted, "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do.")

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 08:17 pm
@Debacle,
One of my favourite Oscar Wilde epigrams, reportedly uttered when he was on his death bed in France:

"Dying in Paris is a terribly expensive business for a foreigner."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 05:05 am
“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 08:31 am
Let freedom reign. The sun never set on so glorious a human achievement.
Nelson Mandela
vonny

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 02:44 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don't complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don't bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality. Wake Up and Live!
- Bob Marley
0 Replies