-- Chaim Weizmann
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 02:48 pm
http://i.brainyquote.com/pm/f/francoisesagan154884_m.jpg
Debacle

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 03:34 pm
@vonny,
"The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder."
..... Alfred Hitchcock
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 04:30 am
“When King Lear dies in Act V, do you know what Shakespeare has written? He’s written “He dies.” That’s all, nothing more. No fanfare, no metaphor, no brilliant final words. The culmination of the most influential work of dramatic literature is “He dies.” It takes Shakespeare, a genius, to come up with “He dies.” And yet every time I read those two words, I find myself overwhelmed with dysphoria. And I know it’s only natural to be sad, but not because of the words “He dies,” but because of the life we saw prior to the words. I’ve lived all five of my acts, Mahoney, and I am not asking you to be happy that I must go. I’m only asking that you turn the page, continue reading… and let the next story begin. And if anyone asks what became of me, you relate my life in all its wonder, and end it with a simple and modest “He died.”
― Dustin Hoffman
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 05:01 am
@edgarblythe,
Here is another case of I don't know who exactly composed Hoffman's statement. The poster attributed it, not myself.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 07:31 am
"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life". -Unknown
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 07:34 am
@edgarblythe,
It's from Mr. Magorium's Magic Emporium". Dustin Hoffman played Mr. Magorium. Mahoney was played by Natalie Portman. It's a great little movie.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 08:46 am
"Just a spoonful of sugar makes the LSD go down"
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 09:20 am
"If you can look into the seeds of time, and say which grain will grow and which will not, speak then unto me."
.... Shakespeare (Banquo in Macbeth)

"A word to the wise ain't necessary ... it's the stupid that need advice."
.... Bill Cosby
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 10:19 am
@blueveinedthrobber,

blueveinedthrobber wrote:

It's from Mr. Magorium's Magic Emporium". Dustin Hoffman played Mr. Magorium. Mahoney was played by Natalie Portman. It's a great little movie.

Who wrote the script? That's to whom the quote should be credited, not Dustin Hoffman. Hoffman was just the actor who mouthed the lines.
0 Replies

timur

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 10:59 am
A part of kindness consists in loving people more than they deserve.

- Joseph Joubert.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 01:49 pm
@timur,
Angel Martí Castillo @AngelMCastillo wrote:
5:08 PM - 18 Jul 2013
It's so hot out a blast of A/C came from a building and I had an orgasm right in front of the Times Square Forever 21.

16 Retweets 18 favorites
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 01:59 pm
No one is more arrogant toward women, more aggressive or scornful, than the man who is anxious about his virility.
- Simone de Beauvoir
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 03:44 pm
"Laughing at our mistakes can lengthen our own life. Laughing at someone else's can shorten it."
--Cullen Hightower
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 09:09 am
My happiest memory of childhood was my first birthday in reform school. This teacher took an interest in me. In fact, he gave me the first birthday presents I ever got: a box of Cracker Jacks and a can of ABC shoe polish.
Flip Wilson
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 02:58 pm
@vonny,
Quote:
No one is more arrogant toward women, more aggressive or scornful, than the man who is anxious about his virility.
- Simone de Beauvoir

It doesn't take much literary skill to identify which A2Kers she would have had in mind. Most experts I have read think America is obsessed with virility. Thus either Simone was wrong or all this equality is mere flannel.

"Get your man card back" is an advertising slogan used to sell guns.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 05:21 pm
"You will become as small as your controlling desire; as great as your dominant aspiration."
--James Allen

<Saw this quote in a newspaper and am still scratching my head, trying to figure out what the hell this Allen person is trying to say. He must use a different vocabulary from mine. To me, that quote is totally oxymoronic. If someone wants to explain it to me, I'll gladly listen.>
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 05:21 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Is it a Zen ko-an perhaps?
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 05:24 pm
@Lustig Andrei,

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120222174106AABR7n2

spendius

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 05:26 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
The first part is easy but the second one is tripe.
0 Replies