Lash

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 05:21 pm
@JPB,
OMG, is he running again??? He lives close to me, and I'll work like a dog for his campaign if he holds true to the progressive ideals he spoke about last go-round! If you have a link about future plans, please share.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 05:22 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm not certain, but she has been a hawk a number of times I noticed in the past. I mainly don't think she or any Republican candidate will stall the drift to oligarchy.

I like a few things about Obama. And I think Hillary would have done better.
Lash

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 05:24 pm
I haven't read through more than the first page, but I want to tell you even though I was impressed with Hillary's tenure at State - except for legitimate questions I still hold about Benghazi - Hillary is in bed with Monsanto - and she'd have to step away from that in a major way to get my support.

JB mentions a possible Huntsman run??? <----excited.
Lash

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 05:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
Dream of someone with Bernie Sanders' morals.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 05:28 pm
@Lash,
How many Republicans are standing against Monsanto? I am not being contentious, but I don't know of any.
Lash

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 05:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
Truth time. All dirty politicians find their side money in the areas their party supports. (Please find ONE who isn't pocketing dirty money - GOP or Dem.)

Big oil and big business are GOP funders.

Most politicians in the pocket of Monsanto are Democrats - with Clarence Thomas and probably a couple of GOPers. Unions own Dems.

I think we need to stop fighting for them - and scrutinize them instead. Who are they getting money from - and how are they voting - and how does that affect us?

Hillary is in Monsanto's pocket. Obama signed the Monsanto Protection Act. Monsanto is poisoning us and our children.

When the 2016 candidates are made known, we should scrutinize ALL OF THEM. IMO. Don't let them manipulate us into factions, so busy defending "our party" that we lose sight of the big picture.

I recently became a California voter, registered as "not aligned," instead of Dem or Repub, and it was a GOOD feeling.

(tries to get her ass off soapbox, sorry Edgar.) This is becoming incredibly important to me.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 06:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
The court matters so much.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 06:18 pm
@Lash,
I think that jpb post was three years ago (never trust me, kidding).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 06:19 pm
The only politicians I really trust are Warren and Sanders. Sure, there will be warts, on any candidate. I could not name a Republican I would vote for, because the baggage they bring ties them to the Teaparty, a movement with no redeeming qualities. Hillary is another Bill or Obama, which is better than the competition, but not what we need. Incidentally, we need a resurgence of unions.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 06:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yeah. My father was very early re film editors (he started editing after 1926 0r within a few years, no idea when the union started), was at a film editor meeting the night when I was born.. and I was blue. (I did fine, or so I take it).

Ironically, he didn't keep up his dues (decades paid). I remember all the mail to that effect at the end, and he didn't get into the old folks home, when he/we were in deep trouble. Same with insurance. Years and years and years and years of paying with little resource.

I might call that union disabling, as he had paid and paid, first ok re pay, later from little money, for many years. I won't say he started the union, but he was early in it. I remember horrible letters re no.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 06:53 pm
Unions are criticized for being corruptible, but, any place there is money and power is a potential for that. People who oppose unions generally seem okay with corporations driving down wages, fighting minimum wage and they seem okay with these corporations not paying taxes. CEOs make millions even for mediocre work, but workers get criticized for seeking a living wage.
georgeob1

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 08:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
Unions exist to protect the interests of their members. As a result they generally resist innovation or any change that would reduce their leverage over the enterprises they infect, The net result is the technical paralysis of the company which is eventually out competed by leaner more adaptable competitors.

In nature Intelligent parasites usually don't kill their hosts. Unions are relatively stupid parasites. Public sector unions are the worst of the lot and the corruption they create is destroying the financial health of some of our major states, Illinois leads the pack approaching bankruptcy; California isn't far behind.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 08:52 pm
@georgeob1,
Unions are an antidote to the people who do not believe in paying a living wage.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 08:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
But also can scald thirty year dues payers in sometimes hard times for not keeping up. It was dozens multiplied of money for naught.

We couldn't do it at the end when we were desperate. Maybe stuff has changed.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 09:07 pm
@ossobuco,
So many of the unions have been squashed - When I was in the Teamsters (short time. nearly a year) the people running the place were set straight if they mistreated a worker. The company used to do things like pour ice water on the floor in the bathrooms to discourage people going in. pre union. I missed a day and came in with a doctor's note. They had me fired and were hustling me out the door the next morning. As I was about to recieve my check and hit the sidewalk, a union rep spoke to me. "I don't get it," I said. "I brought a doctor's note." "Let me have that," he said. Two minutes later, I was being sent to my work station.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 09:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
Which, re me and all, is all too bad.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 09:19 pm
@ossobuco,
Anyway, I don't take Hillary as getting any of what we are talking about.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 08:38 am
@edgarblythe,
I have a very hard time believing the ice water on the bathroom floor story. It's far too much trouble and the floor temperature would return to normal in a few minutes anyway. Besides, why would a boss want his employees walking around looking for a place to piss? This defies belief, however it is a fairly typical entry in the book of fantastic ills supposedly cured by corrupt and occasionally criminal unions like the Teamsters.

Bottom line remains the fact that unions end up killing the very jobs they pretend to protect,
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 11:29 am
@georgeob1,
The ice water was pretty effective, because it was upstairs, Manhattan, in winter. It's a pretty mild story, actually, considering the child labor and such of the past.

Unions don't really kill businesses, but hard headed bosses shut down businesses as part of a union busting ploy. Don't pay a fair wage, no matter what you have to do.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 11:52 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

OMG, is he running again??? He lives close to me, and I'll work like a dog for his campaign if he holds true to the progressive ideals he spoke about last go-round! If you have a link about future plans, please share.

Did you check the date to the post you were responding to? It's from Thu 16 Jun, 2011 11:00 am.