Texas Teaparty: No to Jewish House Speaker; Christians Do Best

Fri 10 Dec, 2010 03:45 pm
TX GOP Official Opposes Jewish House Speaker: Christians ‘Are The People That Do The Best Jobs’
Last month, several Tea Party activists formed a right-wing coalition to oust Rep. Joe Straus (R) as Texas House Speaker. They began circulating emails with anti-Semitic messages against Straus, who is Jewish. The groups ran robo-calls and sent out e-mails demanding a “true Christian leader,” and calling Straus’ opponent, Rep. Ken Paxton (R), “a Christian Conservative who decided not to be pushed around by the Joe Straus thugs.”

Last week, the Texas Observer’s Abby Rapoport reported that she had obtained an email exchange between two members of the Texas State Republican Executive Committee (SREC) — Rebecca Williamson and John Cook. “We elected a house with Christian, conservative values. We now want a true Christian, conservative running it,” Cook said in one of the emails. “Since the SREC governs state Republican Party affairs,” Rapoport wrote, “this marked the first time an elected party leader had semi-openly called for a ‘Christian conservative’ Speaker.” Cook then explained his views to Rapoport in a subsequent telephone interview:

“When I got involved in politics, I told people I wanted to put Christian conservatives in leadership positions,” he told me, explaining that he only supports Christian conservative candidates in Republican primary races.

“I want to make sure that a person I’m supporting is going to have my values. It’s not anything about Jews and whether I think their religion is right or Muslims and whether I think their religion is right. … I got into politics to put Christian conservatives into office. They’re the people that do the best jobs over all.”Cook insisted he is not prejudiced against Jews:

“They’re some of my best friends,” he said of Jews, naming two friends of his. “I’m not bigoted at all; I’m not racist.” [...]

“My favorite person that’s ever been on this earth is a Jew,” he said. “How can they possibly think that if Jesus Christ is a Jew, and he’s my favorite person that’s ever been on this earth?”

“Ah, I see,” the Washington Monthly’s Steve Benen observed, “It’s not ‘about Jews,’ it’s just that Cook doesn’t think Jews can do the job well because they’re Jews.” Benen addded, “Someday, folks will have to understand that ‘some of my best friends are [fill in the blank with a minority group]‘ is a cliche repeated by bigots. I would have hoped that was obvious by now.”

Not that there's anything wrong with being Jewish - edgarblythe Mr. Green

roger

Fri 10 Dec, 2010 05:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

“Ah, I see,” the Washington Monthly’s Steve Benen observed, “It’s not ‘about Jews,’ it’s just that Cook doesn’t think Jews can do the job well because they’re Jews.”

Well, Jeesus Christ! Sure grateful for the clarification.
0 Replies

JPB

Fri 10 Dec, 2010 05:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
“I’m not bigoted at all; I’m not racist.” [...]

riiiiiiiiiiiiiight...
0 Replies

engineer

Fri 10 Dec, 2010 05:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
He likes that Jesus fellow and all, he just doesn't think he would do a good job.
jespah

Fri 10 Dec, 2010 08:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

.... I got into politics to put Christian conservatives into office. They’re the people that do the best jobs over all.”Cook insisted he is not prejudiced against Jews:

“They’re some of my best friends,” he said of Jews, naming two friends of his. “I’m not bigoted at all; I’m not racist.” [...]...

Some of my best friends are Jewish. Gawd.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Fri 10 Dec, 2010 09:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
I hope to see more of this the next couple of years. Hopefully from some high profile Tea Party office holders. Perhaps this will shame the nonTea Party Republicans to drop these extremists/NON-Grass Roots movement from their party.

This latest political infection will do a lot of damage to the Republican Party if it spreads outside the border of Texas. IF it doesn't spread out of Texas then it will be nothing but a very typical Texas blip.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 10 Dec, 2010 09:28 pm
Well, Teaparty bedrock stupidity is not confined just to Texas. True, it melds very well into our practically one party state government, but it's a nationwide phenomenon. From Alaska on down the map.
tsarstepan

Fri 10 Dec, 2010 09:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm thinking this particularly stupid strain of Tea Party/Republican rank and file outshines the rest of the country.
edgarblythe

Fri 10 Dec, 2010 09:41 pm
@tsarstepan,
Well, we need to round up some Teaparty quotes from around the country.
edgarblythe

Fri 10 Dec, 2010 09:43 pm
''American scientific companies are cross-breeding humans and animals and coming up with mice with fully functioning human brains.''
—Christine O'Donnell, discussing cloning with Fox News Channel's Bill O'Reilly, 2007
tsarstepan

Fri 10 Dec, 2010 09:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
Why don't they just move to Texas or at least down to the southern states and secede from the Union?
edgarblythe

Fri 10 Dec, 2010 09:47 pm
''As Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where— where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border.''
—Sarah Palin, explaining why Alaska's proximity to Russia gives her foreign policy experience, interview with CBS's Katie Couric, Sept. 24, 2008
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 10 Dec, 2010 09:50 pm
@tsarstepan,
Truth is, most Texans - most southerners - are not about to secede. Secessionists are getting the attention, but the movement is powerless. Things would change, if the government began confiscation of everyone's guns (Something I predict will not happen). I would look for cover if that could happen.
farmerman

Sat 11 Dec, 2010 04:30 am
@edgarblythe,
we must protect our precious bodily fluids.

I predict that the teabaggers will self destruct based on **** just like this.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 11 Dec, 2010 04:34 am
@tsarstepan,
This is a blatant and all too typical example of the stupidity of the parochialism and arrogance of the Northeast.
0 Replies

Brand WTF

Sat 11 Dec, 2010 06:35 am
I blame it on religions which fill the heads of idiots with idiotic ideas.
PUNKEY

Sat 11 Dec, 2010 07:13 am
At least they are open and forthright about their agenda. (electing Christian conservatives)
Makes it an easy decision for me. . . .

BTW - I heard terms such as "Black liberal" and "right-wing conservative" last election time. Those were just as revealing.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Sat 11 Dec, 2010 08:06 am
Are we sure Rep. Joe Straus isn't a closet liberal?, he sure sounds like one.
0 Replies

Fido

Sat 11 Dec, 2010 08:32 am
@edgarblythe,
Look like America has finally found some people crazy enough to stand up to the Jewish Mob... I like it... They better see how much money they would have without Jewish support, first of all... I don't think there would be a republican party without Jewish support, and I don't think there would be a state of Israel without Republican support... The support goes both ways, kind of like the support of the church for king, and king for church, so that one could not be beat without both being beat...
Fido

Sat 11 Dec, 2010 08:36 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

He likes that Jesus fellow and all, he just doesn't think he would do a good job.

What kind of good job did Jesus do??? Did he ever hold a honest job??? And when Paul, another Jew got done with Jesus, the slaves were still slaves, and the rich were still rich, and there was another layer of bureaucracy betweet God and man... Christianity has been as big a waste as Judaism... They are all form and no relationship...
0 Replies