Price Comparison, where possible.

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:09 pm
I was filling the tank today and as I watched my money drain away, I wondered, what are they paying in the US, Australia and across the globe and am I right when I feel like I'm paying way over the odds.
I'm paying 1.34Euro's a litre. Works out at approx 5.00Euro's a US gal which is $6.85 US. Or approx 6.00Euro's an imperial gal which is £5.14 Sterling.
Well am I being ripped off.
Also say for a GP visit I'll pay 50Euro's just to set foot in the door. That's $68.44 US, 0r £42.80 Sterling, or $69.40 Aus, or $69.60 Can.
Well am I being ripped off.
I'd be happy to answer any price comparisons from anywhere.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 5,134 • Replies: 78
No top replies

Mame

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:11 pm
We are paying $.92/litre in Alberta. We paid around 1.17/litre in Brit. pound in October. Does this help?
engineer

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:14 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
I bought gas last night at $2.86/US gallon. Gas prices vary noticeably across the US.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:15 pm
@Mame,
$92 = .67 Euro's.

So I'm paying twice what your paying. Well that answers my question, we are being shafted in Ireland.

No surprise.
Mame

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:18 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Never mind, you've got a beautiful country, fabulous accents, and better food than England. You're way ahead.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:18 pm
@Mame,
£1.17 sterling = $1.87 US.

So the Brits are even worse off.

Mame

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:19 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
That should make you feel better! LOL
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:21 pm
@Mame,
No point in having a great country if you cant afford to live there.
Everything seems to be going up in except wages.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:25 pm
@engineer,
$2.86 = 2.08Euro's a gal, I'm paying 5 Euro's.

I'm beginning to feel sorry I asked, it's worse than I thought.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:25 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
You could make a lot of money selling your house (and moving elsewhere)... I have read about the house prices there skyrocketing. Move to Costa Rica!
Mame

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:27 pm
@engineer,
That's cheap! And you're right, it does vary. In Alberta, it's $.92 and last week in Vancouver it was $1.14. Huge diff.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:30 pm
Like I was in Berlin this summer and was able to enjoy a nice meal for 10 Euro's.
Here in Ireland you could expect to pay 40 for the same meal.
Rip off Ireland.
Mame

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:36 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
That's terrible! I don't know Euros to Pounds, but we found our two weeks in England to very reasonable this time. We didn't get to Ireland, though. I'd love to go back but now I'm thinking maybe we can't afford it. (kidding - on a holdiay you can afford anything). But seriously, everything seemed eminently reasonably priced to us.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:40 pm
@Mame,
High house prices or inflated house prices is a thing of the past here now, the bubble has well and truly burst.
I could have got 1/2 million plus for my home at the height of it, be lucky to get 200.000 now, actually be lucky to sell it at all, no market.
Even so I'm one of the lucky ones, at least I own my home, no mortgage.
There are thousands of people here, a lot of them young people who paid say 450.000 for a house 2 years ago, that's worth say 200.ooo now and their mortgaged up to their eyeballs.
Mame

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:43 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Wow, that's terrible, euro! I wondered if that bubble would burst and when - I was there back in the early 90s and we could have bought a place for a song; then we went back in the mid-2000s and everything was crazy - we really regretted not buying. However, we would have hated to profit at the expense of one who lived there, so maybe it's a good thing.

Your house is worth what it's worth to you living in it. If you're not going to sell, it's irrelevant. Prices will go up again, everything's a circle.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:44 pm
@Mame,
England is a lot cheaper than here. I lived in London for 6 years and Liverpool for a year and the basic are way cheaper, food, rent, beer etc.
Their paid less, but still works out cheaper.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:53 pm
@Mame,
Like you say your home is your home, I never bought in to the Celtic Tiger bullshit. The thought of a 3-bed semi D in a suburb of Dublin being worth more than a chalet in southern France or an apartment in Paris was absurd.
It was just spin by the politicians, property developers and bankers and unfortunately so many people bought in to it, especially the younger people.
It's a national disgrace and we the people will be paying for it for a generation in higher taxes and prices.
The only people who wont pay are the scum who caused it, they'll walk away with their fat pensions and pay-off's.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:59 pm
Here in southern California where we pay probably the highest prices in
the U.S., 1 gallon cost around $ 3.20 to $ 3.50, yesterday I've seen $ 3.75 - towards
the weekend gas prices climb up.

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 07:15 pm
@CalamityJane,
It's cheaper than what I pay, But I am surprised at the differences within the US, I presume each State sets it's own taxes. I thought it was one uniform tax on gas in the US, obviously not. Is it the same price in all of CA or would it be cheaper in say rural areas.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 07:27 pm
Good night, ye all.

Slan Leat.
0 Replies