Price Comparison, where possible.

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 08:15 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
It definitely is cheaper in rural areas, no question about it.
Good night and sleep well!
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 07:27 am
@CalamityJane,
I wonder do you get much cross-border shopping tourism in the states, we get a lot over here, people from Nth- Irl crossing the border to buy petrol cheaper in the South and a lot more people from the South going to Nth Irl to buy food, electrical goods, furniture, a lot of booze, basically everything is cheaper in Nth Irl.
I mean would it be worth your while crossing in to neighbouring states or crossing the border in to say Tijuana, Mexico.
I'd imagine petrol and goods would be a lot cheaper there.
I realise it's not the patriotic thing to do, but then again patriotism wont feed your children.
I think I read somewhere a lot of Americans cross in to Mexico for their medicine or for dental treatment.
It's funny here, we have a lot people flying to Turkey for dental treatment, you can save thousands and have a holiday at the same time.
2PacksAday

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 07:35 am
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

I am surprised at the differences within the US, I presume each State sets it's own taxes. I thought it was one uniform tax on gas in the US, obviously not.

As most things go, there is an across the board Federal tax of .18 cents per gallon, then each state has it's own tax added in....which varies greatly.
djjd62

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 07:35 am
currently paying $1.04 per litre in my little corner of Canada, about $3.95 a US Gallon

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 07:56 am
@djjd62,
That's not bad. I'm paying $6.84 a US gal.

P.S. I didn't think you did little in Canada. Laughing
Mame

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 09:27 am
@eurocelticyankee,
We don't do little Smile and there are many Cdns who frequently go across the border for shopping, cottages, and the like. Sometimes there's better shopping, and gas and food items are cheaper. Don't know how many Americans cross to come into Canada.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 09:31 am
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

I wonder do you get much cross-border shopping tourism in the states, we get a lot over here, people from Nth- Irl crossing the border to buy petrol cheaper in the South and a lot more people from the South going to Nth Irl to buy food, electrical goods, furniture, a lot of booze, basically everything is cheaper in Nth Irl.
I mean would it be worth your while crossing in to neighbouring states or crossing the border in to say Tijuana, Mexico.
I'd imagine petrol and goods would be a lot cheaper there.
I realise it's not the patriotic thing to do, but then again patriotism wont feed your children.
I think I read somewhere a lot of Americans cross in to Mexico for their medicine or for dental treatment.
It's funny here, we have a lot people flying to Turkey for dental treatment, you can save thousands and have a holiday at the same time.

Our border US/MX is the busiest in the world, but usually it's "them" crossing into the U.S. and staying here illegally. No we cannot go to Tijuana any longer, the drug cartel has this city in complete control. There are daily shoot outs as well as kidnappings and even the surfers who used to go further down to surf, were robbed, beaten and left stranded. No one in their right mind goes to Tijuana any longer, or any other border town along the U.S./Mexican side.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 09:34 am
@Mame,
You've got to chase the bargains.

Cottages ???
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 09:40 am
@CalamityJane,
My god, you hear about the cartels and murders on tv, but I would have assumed everyday life carried on.
You know It's usually the criminals and lunatics killing each other, It's sad to think ordinary people cant get on with their lives without being affected by it.
It sounds like a war zone.
Mame

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 09:42 am
@eurocelticyankee,
South of Vancouver is a peninsula, at the tip of which is a little spot called Pt. Roberts. It's geographically part of Canada but because Pt. Roberts lies beneath the 49th parallel, it's US. Canadians can drive to it, but Americans can't. They have to go by sea or air, funnily enough.

There are about 1200 residents, but in the summers there are throngs of Canadians visiting, many of whom own cottages there. It's a quiet, restive little spot, and very beautiful, being surrounded by water.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 09:48 am
@eurocelticyankee,
It is like a war zone, and they (drug cartel) don't care whom they shoot if
you happen to be in the line of cross fire. The city looks awful now: dirty streets, graffiti everywhere and hardly any stores left for tourists. Police are driving around in pick-up trucks with semi-automatic weapons and you don't know if
they're friend or enemy. That was the scenery a few years back, I haven't been
there since, but it has gotten much worse, just read up on it!
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 09:54 am
@CalamityJane,
I will. Sounds like anarchy.
Stay home CJ and stay safe, no bargain is worth risking your life for.

I feel really sorry for the people who live there because It's in a beautiful part of the world and could be heaven.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 01:08 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
I know, Mexico is a beautiful country, but our side is not too shaby either.
Thank you! Very Happy
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 02:06 pm
@CalamityJane,
Del curso y estoy seguro que usted anade a aquella belleza, usted senora hermosa. Wink
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 02:11 pm
@Mame,
Sounds NICE
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 02:14 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Yeah, federal tax is on the order of $.04 per gallon. New Mexico about .19, Colorado ~ .21, and Utah about .24. It also varies with the distance to the refinery and oil field. Oddly, the farther the oil field, the lower the price - or so it usually seems. Texas tends to have low prices on gasoline.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 02:19 pm
@roger,
Well if I were you I wouldn't complain. Compared to what I'm paying anyway.

Thanks for the info Roger.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 02:21 pm
@roger,
Just as a matter of interest, what does a straight forward visit to your Gp, local doctor cost. Just curious.
roger

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 02:33 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
My doctor charges $137.00 per visit. He gets less for patients with private insurance, and the rate varies depending on the contract negotiated with each insurer. He is allowed to charge $88.00 under Medicare, and he does continue to accept Medicare for existing patients, but does not accept new Medicare patients. That's for the office call. Specific procedures could add to the price.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 02:37 pm
@roger,
Wow that's expensive, I pay $70 to see the doctor.

$137 that's outrageous, how can justify that for a visit that could only last 10 minutes.
I missed my calling in life.