Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 06:58 pm
whenever Lady Diane is in a public situation she refers to me as her "partner" that's ok as far as it goes but certainly doesn't describe our relationship. we are together period, there is no "partnership" there is a totally commited relationship, there could only be separation due to medical reasons and yet I find "partner" less than adequate and a bit demeaning. No, I don't have a preferrred term to use. Sure we can't be alone in this circumstance and at our age.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 26 • Views: 5,919 • Replies: 54

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 07:03 pm
@dyslexia,
Wouldn't it be funny if she called you "her boyfriend" or "lover"? It has more of a naughty ring to it than "partner". Why not husband? It's not strictly reserved for married folks, is it?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 07:08 pm
@dyslexia,
Good question. Why not just marry her? Just kidding.

Do they still use the term significant other? I never really liked that term.

Life mate? Love of my life?

I have no idea how I would want to be referred to. Mostly, my wife just doesn't introduce me to anybody.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 07:14 pm
@dyslexia,
My brother Sam and his partner were together, unwed, from 1970 until he died, less than two years ago. They referred to each other as 'husband' and 'wife.' I think it was appropriate.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 07:18 pm
@dyslexia,
I suppose you can call her Archduchess Diane.
Intrepid

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 07:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
I read it as Dys was more concerned with what Diane refers to him as.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 07:36 pm
@dyslexia,
her slower half?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 07:39 pm
I think it's really just a matter of semantics. You two know what you are to each other, who cares about other people?
dyslexia

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 07:41 pm
@littlek,
yeah, It's a lot like "play date" sometimes I just find it trite.
littlek

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 07:42 pm
@dyslexia,
I getcha. Relationships are a lot more complex and nuanced than the language we have to describe them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 07:44 pm
My husband was my partner. I doubt I'm the one that came up with that word - maybe, but I doubt it - but I agreed readily enough.

Nah, as it turned out.

So, don't let my sardonic viewpoint color your situation. First of all, I remember the lady calling herself Mrs. Dys often enough.
This is between you two. I know both of you. Talk.

0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 07:50 pm
sounds like you're a little upset dys. personally I could give a rat's ass.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 08:08 pm
I find the term 'life partner' to be a bit stronger.

In the 70s, there used to a term POSSLQ (person of opposite sex sharing living quarters)'

Then there's the vanilla and non-descript SO (significant other)

Then there's Main Squeeze
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 09:47 pm
@Intrepid,
Clearly if she's an Archduchess Diane then shouldn't she call him ... um... uh... umm... ((let me think)) ... uh... ((no... not that)) ... maybe...
uhh... um... head man-servant?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 12:05 am
@dyslexia,
"Hi, I'm Diane, and that's Dys---we never liked each other".

That's not hard to say, is it?

Or if you were trying to raise a serious question with this thread: I'd probably use 'lover' if I were in your kind of relationship.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 12:08 am
Main Squeeze is definitely a possibility.

I don't know about archduchess, tsarstepan."Lady" is a term that Dys came up with. He knows darn well that I don't fit the description most of the time.

What I do say most often is that, "We are living in sin and loving it."

When dealing with people who might give me a hard time, I might say partner.

In fact, I do consider Dys my husband. I feel more married to him than I ever did with my ex whats iz name.

Mr. Dys, you know that I love you more than life itself, that I w0uld do anything for you and that my life began when I was sixty, when we met.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, "Snap out of it, Sweet Cheeks!" Whatever I happen to call you doesn't ever change the way I feel about you.

But I will not call you "my partner" again. If we decide on more royal names, tell me if you like "Archie." Wink or, we could go with Old Fart, Blue Eyes, Cowboy, Grumpy, My Love, My Sweet, Sweet Man, The Love of My Life, or simply, Love.

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 12:17 am
How about "snookums"?
snood

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 03:30 am
It's a fascinating dilemma to be sure, but in order to give my answer the attention it needs first I have to decide whether this is lint or just plain dirt in my belly button.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 03:47 am
@dyslexia,
You're her lobster, dys Wink
roger

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 04:13 am
@Izzie,
That'll shut them down for sure.
0 Replies