Fireworks: nuisance or nirvana?

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 07:49 pm
I think they're amazing. I love the sizzle, flash, bang and smell. There isn't anything I don't love about fireworks.

How about you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 13 • Views: 3,856 • Replies: 29

ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 08:18 pm
@boomerang,
Ok, I'm the opposite, though I remember loving them, sitting on the grass outside Dyche Stadium in Evanston, when I was, say, nine - a whole bunch of us in the neighborhood went over there as a group - wonderful.

I say this, that I am the opposite, from my own weird viewpoint - I see very very badly in the dark, generally have to be helped to the car, and so on (always have, not whining, just explaining). Plus, I've my own mishugana re noise of war. Oh, and shots and helicopters in the night in my neighborhood, for years.

But, I was neutral, sometimes amused (usually with my family), sometimes freaked.. until one time my husband and I walked along ocean front walk up to the santa monica pier. I was neutral enough to be up for that, and he was there with me, after all. I got genuinely frightened, as it was utter chaos, or, more truthfully, semi chaos. Next day in the paper, one or two people blinded near the pier.

I'll pass. Are there any hot dogs left?

Oh, I forgot. One fourth of July back in north north, a firework from a ship in humboldt bay hit the building next door to our gallery studio. The fire in that building hit ours - both old victorians. Our building was saved, the one where the rocket landed, they only saved the frontage.
boomerang

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 10:03 pm
@ossobuco,
Yeah, I know they can be very dangerous.

I nearly blew my thumb off with an M80 when I was about 8 or 9.

Even that didn't get me to deny my love.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 12:44 am
@boomerang,
I get the love, we just differ on this one.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 12:51 am
@ossobuco,
Remember, our gallery studio and fuckwit was on fire at 1 AM.

This stuff does not charm me. Our place was on fire.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 07:51 am
at the right time in the right conditions handles by professionals.

Otherwise they are too dangerous. too many children (and adults) get hurt.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 08:01 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

at the right time in the right conditions handles by professionals.

Otherwise they are too dangerous. too many children (and adults) get hurt.
and not in my neighborhood.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 08:10 am
@boomerang,
I love the big fireworks shows.

I'm not a fan of backyard fireworks/fire crackers etc.

I used to regularly go to the international fireworks competitions down at the waterfront here. I'd pay more for a ticket for a good fireworks show than I would to see a play. I'd still rather see fireworks than a play.

The dogs hate 'em. Cleo is still afraid to go outside, 48 hours after the last big show here - no neighbourhood stuff for us anymore.
sozobe

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 08:52 am
@ehBeth,
Yeah, I make that distinction too.

Best fireworks show ever -- major one in downtown Minneapolis, my friend lived in a condo maybe 2 blocks away from the launching point, her condo had a pool and we reclined on inflatable rafts while the fireworks exploded RIGHT over us. Got some tiny meteors and everything, definite ash. (Everything landed in the water, not on us.)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 09:13 am
We avoid the big shows. I hate crowds, traffic and drunks and stay away from places that promise all three.

Our neighborhood congregates at the school yard where everyone sets off their fireworks on the 4th of July. Some people bring some big stuff -- including us as Mo and Mr. B are crazy for fireworks. It's pretty fun!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 09:55 am
Let's see.
I was awakened this morning at 3:10AM by someone who thought it would be so fun to pop off about thirty really loud things.
Really.
About fifteen bangs in, I started hoping that it was a gun fight.

But no, sadly.
Joe(I could tell the guy survived by his especially loud Hoo-yahs!)Nation
0 Replies

Hermod

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 06:09 am
Fireworks: The closest you can come to experiencing apocalypse.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 10:25 am
As long as I didn't live near some where - that held fireworks every week or more frequently I'd say love them. I really love the ones in Boston on the 4th, but as the crowds are huge, I haven't attended since having children - too difficult and as some have said too many drunks.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 12:21 pm
@boomerang,
They're fine - in the right hands and can be lots of fun.

In the wrong hands illegally, young kids, incompetent adults, etc, they're a nuisance.
farmerman

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 07:22 pm
@Reyn,
THe annual detonation fest has begun. I was trying to take a cat nap to catch up on missed sleep this week and outside all along the ridge, the horsey farms are firing rockets ands mortars. Scares thweir horses to death Ill bet. My one neighbor takes in old ansd feeble horses (hes a saint) and he has one old sweetie mare thats mostly blind. She goes nuts when she hears fireworks so, until next Tuseday, shes gonna have to be kept inside her stall with a light on
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 07:26 pm
They canceled every form of fireworks here and also in some counties banned barbecues. Probably for one holiday only. I love the professional displays, but the neighbors have worried me to death every other year. All them rockets and all them pine needles everywhere -
Reyn

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 09:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
Agreed. Amateur handling of fireworks are nothing but a worry for all around. Mad
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 09:28 pm
At best, the noise reminds me of war. Past that, it reminds me of making my way on the beach near the pier, where people were blinded that same night. At worst, it reminds me of some damned rocket hitting the old building next to our business, from some permitted volleys from a ship. (Our building was saved, not a given.)

There has been a great argument here in albuquerque about letting fireworks be for sale - at a time when the fire near los alamos is apparently the biggest in history around here.

Lighting fireworks when the land is a tinder is past stupid.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 11:46 am
Le'see, Summer holidays allow for men to be stupid with fire, charcoal, charcoal lighter for the charcoal, Tiki Torches, Tiki Torch Oil and, if they can figure out a way to hurt themselves they will, Citronella Candles. The Fourth of July offers them the chance to be stupid and dangerous to others with the addition of the fireworks.

joe(make the madness stop)Nation
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2012 06:14 am
I’ve never really been a big fan of watching fireworks but tonight we will be taking Antonio to Gulfport so he can see them.

I don’t care for this time of the year because of what it does to the animals. I will be keeping the dogs inside and in their crates tonight.