Remember, remember, the fifth of November...

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 08:58 am
The Fifth of November

Remember, remember!
The fifth of November,
The Gunpowder treason and plot;
I know of no reason
Why the Gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot!
Guy Fawkes and his companions
Did the scheme contrive,
To blow the King and Parliament
All up alive.
Threescore barrels, laid below,
To prove old England's overthrow.
But, by God's providence, him they catch,
With a dark lantern, lighting a match!
A stick and a stake
For King James's sake!
If you won't give me one,
I'll take two,
The better for me,
And the worse for you.
A rope, a rope, to hang the Pope,
A penn'orth of cheese to choke him,
A pint of beer to wash it down,
And a jolly good fire to burn him.
Holloa, boys! holloa, boys! make the bells ring!
Holloa, boys! holloa boys! God save the King!
Hip, hip, hooor-r-r-ray!
http://www.potw.org/archive/potw405.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 3,853 • Replies: 7
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 09:18 am
@tsarstepan,
My favourite time of the year. I've got the bonfire made, and have a load of fireworks that were imported under old regulations, so they're really big, and I've just made a guy, with a Mitt Romney mask.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 09:50 am
@tsarstepan,
Bells of Rhymney

Oh what will you give me
Say the sad bells of Rhymney
Is there hope for the future,
Cry the bells of Merthyr
Who made the mine owner
Say the black bells of Rhondda
And robbed the miner
Cry the grim bells of Blaina

They will plunder willy-nilly
Cry the bells of Caerphilly
They have fangs , they have teeth
Say the loud bells of Neathe
Even God is uneasy
Say the moist bells of Swansea
And what will you give me

Put the vandals in court
Say the bells of Newport
All would be well if, if, if
Cry the green bells of Cardiff
Why so worried, sisters, why
Sang the silver bells of Wye
And what will you give me
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 09:52 am
What Does Guy Fawkes Say?
The secret of Guy Fawkes? Ancient history. Somewhere deep in a book…
http://www.buzzfeed.com/ukinusa/what-does-guy-fawkes-say-dp3u
izzythepush

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 12:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
I had mine last night, it's raining tonight.

Interesting article on BBC website.

Quote:
Fireworks night is still marked in the UK, but Ben Milne asks, where have all the guys gone?

"Penny for the guy?" If you're feeling indulgent, it conjures up black-and-white images of cheeky urchins wheeling around a figure made out of tights stuffed with newspapers (and a turnip for a head), cheerfully cadging pre-decimal coins from indulgent adults on a chilly night. For the less charitable, it's a nasty outdated sectarian tradition, where youngsters beg with menaces, before a big bonfire is lit.

But making guys seems to have been routed not by champions of understanding and tolerance, but because kids have generally used all their creative energies a week earlier on their Halloween costumes. Guy Fawkes night is still celebrated by a significant number of people in the UK, and firework sales have remained buoyant in recent years. But leaving aside notable exceptions like the town of Lewes, how many of these well-organised and health-and-safety aware displays still burn guys?

The decline of the guy is not necessarily down to changing religious attitudes. The occasion is undoubtedly anti-Catholic in origin (a 1677 celebration is said to have burned an effigy of the pope with live cats inside "who squalled most hideously as soon as they felt the fire"). But Roman Catholic opposition to the event has never been very vocal - it's not unusual to find fireworks displays run by RC schools or churches. In fact, fireworks night is for most people just another excuse for a party, and most of the event's political connotations have been sloughed off. In this context, burning an effigy on a fire seems a bit, well, surplus to requirements.

In any case, it's Guy Fawkes who has had the last laugh. Having survived centuries on the bonfire, the parliamentary plotter now has another identity. Courtesy of the famous goatee'd mask from the film V For Vendetta, Fawkes lives on as an international symbol of political mischief-making and subversion, recognised by millions who have never heard the refrain, "Remember, remember, the fifth of November..."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-24818807
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 12:31 pm
@izzythepush,
... and in the Independent:Guy Fawkes 2013: From timid testicles to gunpowder plot truthers, ten things about bonfire night you probably didn't know:

Quote:
[...]It was actually law to ‘remember’ this day for around 250 years with an act of Parliament passed to make it a day of thanksgiving for the “joyful deliverance of James I” from these evil Catholic plotters.

But modern celebrations of Bonfire night, with their dazzling displays of fireworks, crunchy toffee apples and sparklers sanitize the gruesome reality of this tale.

The man we remember, Guy Fawkes, was actually just the hired muscle. Robert Catesby was leader of this revolutionary band and thought to be far better looking and charismatic than poor tortured Guido (who, to be fair, had his own favourable qualities-loyalty being one).
... ... ...
0 Replies

Pamela Rosa

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 03:53 am
Remember, remember
The fifth of November
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 11:00 am
At Lewes' celebration last night Vladimir Putin and Alex Salmond went up in smoke.
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/78804000/jpg/_78804886_putin_reuters.jpg
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/78782000/jpg/_78782473_salmond.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-29915270
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Remember, remember, the fifth of November...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 04:06:32