am i unamerican??? why fireworks...

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 09:54 pm
as I listen all day long to poor folks blowing up our little burg (we have visitors from the big city, cuz we don't have rules) I wonder how the tradition as it exists today got started.

What is the fascination year after year to making such a racket?

I heard on the radio (mainstream classic rock, not Rush) that the bill for fireworks this year was $750 million.

that's a lot of jack.

if it's anything like where I live, the poorest folks are blowing up the mostest stuff.

add in the fire damage (substantial around here) and the emergency room visits, and...

is it really worth it, America?

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 09:58 pm
They scare the bejaysus out of me, firing that stuff around my back yard every year. Got too many pine trees back there.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 10:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
I've treated some rather nasty burns over the years as a result of all the fun ed.

lots of alcohol involved, and kiddoes, too.
msolga

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 10:05 pm
@Rockhead,
... & don't forget the traumatized animals, Rocky! Sad

It's not just in the US of course. Happens here every new year's eve (though not nearly on such a grand scale)..... despite the restrictions on fireworks. People (especially kids) just go ahead & do it anyway ....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 10:12 pm
I don't know about the distribution of all the fun of this re the poorer folk, but will pay attention to your point.

I'm not anyone to judge by, as I have eye messyness, and that one beach instance which was a poor choice. I think I liked fireworks, early on, when they weren't in my zone of dark -

looking recently at the tent in front of Albertson's...

I have spent untold time with family, cringing, until I got to go home. They know me as not a cringer, usually.

Eh, not my favorite day.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 10:14 pm
They do fireworks here, virtually every holiday.
msolga

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 10:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
Legally, edgar?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 10:19 pm
Well, I'm used to Venice, at least the Venice of old. Usually plus helicopters.

Here, sort of mild pops, and that's ok with me..
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 10:19 pm
@msolga,
Yes, legally. The fireworks stands open a few days before all the major holidays. Use is restricted to the county, being illegal inside Houston city limits.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 11:02 pm
@Rockhead,
I see that I should simply add that I agree with you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 11:21 pm
I'll separate myself. I've never gotten that explosions are cute, or wonderful or fun, which ruins a whole batch of movies for me.

My problems -
I've some experience with atom bombs, by association, which I have much more trouble with than fireworks.
So, I have trouble toning down and listening.
Consider me some kind of opposite of Helen of Troy, while I think she's smart.
roger

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 11:29 pm
@ossobuco,
And she could probably tell you how to convert a carpet roll and a handfull of skyrockets into a rocket propelled grenade launcher capable of taking out a heavy tank. That was part of the fun, of course - when I was much younger.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 11:37 pm
@roger,
It's odd, I can't remember her current a2k name. I do respect her conversationally. I respect my own deep knowledge more.
roger

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 11:40 pm
@ossobuco,
HighSeas
ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 11:45 pm
@roger,
Yes, that's it, we've been talking, without decimating. I can imagine being her.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 11:48 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
Quote:
am i unamerican???

Yes.

Smile
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 04:29 am
On July 3rd, 1776, it was said that the fourth should be celebrated with, as
John Adams, you know, Sam's cousin, wrote:
bonfires and illuminations

Where's your bonfire? What about your LEDs?

Glow sticks?

Flashlights?

Candles?

Jar of fireflies?
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 05:45 am
@jespah,

da kidz around here shot their load friday night, so last night it was fairly peaceful.

4th of july nights on the upper west side of manhattan were noisy as hell.
the tall apartment buildings produced excellent acoustics for the heart-stopping M-80 blasts, followed by the cacaphony of car-alarms...
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 06:09 am
living close to the US border we get it for almost a week, first all the patriots celebrating canada day on july 1st, then doing it all over again in support of our american brethren on the 4th, add in our may 24th holiday and we got 3 big nights of noise in about a month and a half
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 06:12 am
here in albaturkey (all of new mexio actually) there seems to be zero fireworks restrictions. I don't mind at all the professional displays but last night our neighborhood sounded like a war zone. I didn't enjoy that one bit. (either did Sally dog)
0 Replies