Blood Stains

Roberta

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 02:51 pm
Is there a reliable way to get blood stains out of clothing without taking the color along with it?

If not, I'm out some clothes.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 4,394 • Replies: 24
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 02:52 pm
@Roberta,
Shocked

finally settled some scores

Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 02:52 pm
@Roberta,
try this site:

http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/stain-removal/how-to-get-rid-of-blood-stains/

when all else fails, girl, GOOGLE!
chai2

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 03:00 pm
soak it in hydrogen peroxide boida
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 03:01 pm
@Mame,
Okay - this may sound gross - but a friend of mine that smocks dresses told me when she would prick her finger and get blood on the cloth she would spit on it. The enzymes in her saliva would break the blood stain down. She said it worked on her own dried blood as well...

worth a shot I guess. How big are the stains?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 04:23 pm
dj, Maybe some scores are being settled on me, not by me. Errant IV needle left stains on my jeans. Unstoppable bleeding landed me in the ER with stains on my shirt. Gamma knife--no knife but holes in my scalp left my head bleeding and stains on a shirt an a2ker graciously sent me.

Shoulda thunk to google, Mame, but this is my go-to place. From here I'll google. Thanks.

chai, The hydrogen peroxide doesn't remove the color of the clothes?I could try it on an unseen location and see what happens. Thanks.

mismi, Not gross at all if it works. I have dry mouth resulting from radiation and don't have enough spit to seal an envelope. So this isn't gonna work for me. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I appreciate it.
djjd62

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 04:27 pm
@Roberta,
i figured it was the things you described, but for a moment i allowed myself to think you'd got your revenge on some of the torments you've had to face

good luck with the stains, sorry i have only fantasies and no real solutions
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 04:27 pm
@Roberta,
I didn't think about that Roberta...though I know that happens. Hope you get the stain out...I think that site that Mame gave you sounds good...one of them advises to use dish soap AND hydrogen peroxide mixed on the stain...

http://www.ehow.com/how_1212_remove-blood-fabric.html
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 04:36 pm
From Dry Eye to Dry Mouth, oh, nooooooo! I'd google oxyclean. I have no idea if it works, but it might... or it might work well enough.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 04:37 pm
@Roberta,
That's what noises (nurses) use to get rid of blood on their scrubs.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 04:45 pm
@Roberta,
soak soak soak in cold water first - then oxyclean or a similar product

as long as the blood hasn't been set by exposure to heat, it's not too difficult to get out of many fabrics

check the fibre content if you can
Mame

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 05:52 pm
Actually, I got some blood off with a Tide Pen, but if you have that much, you'd be at it forever.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 09:38 pm
Thanks for all the advice, links, and suggestions. I knew I could count on you guys.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 09:43 pm
@Roberta,
whatever you do, if it don't come out, don't throw them away.

you'll have CSI at your door lickety split wanting to know what you been up to...

((B))
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 11:43 pm
@Roberta,
When I worked at a dry cleaners while going to college, we would use Windex. It would take out many different type of stains. I still use it to remove certain stains.

You should always test a part of the fabric that can't be seen before trying it on the stain.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 12:05 am
A
R
To quote Courage Wolf: "Bite off more than you can chew. Then Chew!!!!"
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 04:43 am
windex?

now that's interesting.

I'll have to remember that.
JPB

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 07:58 am
If you haven't already washed it you can make up some saltwater and pour it over the stain. Rub it gently so as not to break down the cells or release the hemoglobin and then throw it in the wash. Normal body saline (0.9%, or slightly salty to the taste -- like the taste of tears) will pull the intact red cells out of the cloth and allow them to be washed away without staining.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 08:37 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

soak soak soak in cold water first - then oxyclean or a similar product

as long as the blood hasn't been set by exposure to heat, it's not too difficult to get out of many fabrics

check the fibre content if you can

This one is the correct answer. 20 years of drycleaning experience to back it up.

cool water, 24 hr soak, some agitation by hand in the area of the stain to assist loosening. followed by a cold water wash.
If the stain persists
Hydrogen peroxide or sodium perborate based stain remover as reccomended on the lable
if the stain perssist:
apply 12 1/2 % hydrogen peroxide directly to the stain . cover with a warm cloth or place in the sun to increase action. wait 1 hr
rinse

A reddish/rusty stain may persit. This is iron oxide from iron in the blood
treat with rust remover or oxalic acid

Any of the above proceedures may affect dye or fibres depending on the type of dye or fabric. Generally however the above is safe with wash and were type fabrics.
Roberta

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 11:44 am
@dadpad,
Thanks, dadpad. Good to hear from a pro.

I'll give it a try.
0 Replies