Rubber-coated Items...

Seizan

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2018 08:00 am
Hi Folks.

I have a few items that came with a rubber coating on them, I guess to enhance holding them, or to protect them from water, etc. One is the top of a laptop computer -- and older Dell, with a very nice blue rubber coat on the lid.

Another is a very nice speaker that I use with another computer.

After a few years, the rubber coats have become sticky and oily to the touch. This attracts dust and (of course) cat fur, etc.

I've tried wiping them off, even washing them with mild soap and water. The rubber surfaces, not the cats...

Is there some way to remove that oily stickiness, leaving the rubber coating as it used to be, or at least dry to the touch?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,297 • Replies: 2
No top replies

blatham

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2018 08:21 am
@Seizan,
You could try rubber cleaning products sold at auto parts stores (cars having a lot of visible rubber). Or if there's an auto detailing shop in town, drop in or give them a call for tips.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2018 01:28 pm
@Seizan,
Seizan wrote:

Hi Folks.

I have a few items that came with a rubber coating on them, I guess to enhance holding them, or to protect them from water, etc. One is the top of a laptop computer -- and older Dell, with a very nice blue rubber coat on the lid.

Another is a very nice speaker that I use with another computer.

After a few years, the rubber coats have become sticky and oily to the touch. This attracts dust and (of course) cat fur, etc.

I've tried wiping them off, even washing them with mild soap and water. The rubber surfaces, not the cats...

Is there some way to remove that oily stickiness, leaving the rubber coating as it used to be, or at least dry to the touch?

This is a suggestion from somebody that has never tried this before: Perhaps dip the rubber parts in a medium such as liquid electric wire coating or some other coating substance.
0 Replies