Sponges--facial vs. dish

Reply Tue 1 May, 2018 11:39 am
A sponge manufacturer [Scotch Brite] tells me not to use its sponges for my face, with a vague reference to "pathogens." But if these are unsafe for my face, why would they be OK for dishes off which I eat?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,460 • Replies: 9
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 1 May, 2018 07:32 pm
@RichardOJohnson,
I am neither a lawyer, nor a microbiologist. But, I wouldn't think there would be any difference in pathogens. They may just be avoiding any lawsuits.

I would expect a facial sponge to be more smooth.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 1 May, 2018 07:41 pm
I would expect both to be lousy with pathogens after a few days use.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 May, 2018 08:07 pm
I have seen articles suggesting you put a sponge in the microwave before using it.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 1 May, 2018 08:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
I toss my sponges in a solution of hot water and bleach.........sometimes hot water and vinegar. Only leave them in for about 5 minutes..that should be long enough to remove the creepy crawlers.
0 Replies

RichardOJohnson

Reply Wed 2 May, 2018 11:52 am
@edgarblythe,
I've seen that advice also--but if you look at the fine print on the dish sponges' packaging, you'll see that all the manufacturers, as far as I can see, caution you not to microwave them. I wasn't able to get a good explanation from Scotch Brite of that either--and I microwave my sponges anyway.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 2 May, 2018 12:00 pm
@RichardOJohnson,
I use a dishrag, rather than sponges, for general cleaning. That way I can wash it in hot water and bleach and get lots of uses for each. A sponge is for cleaning the bathroom... and gets tossed.

For my face... I just use my hands. Unfortunately those can't be microwaved.

We live in a world awash in microorganisms, I suspect that most of the things people worry about are pretty unimportant in the larger scheme of things.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 2 May, 2018 12:09 pm
@RichardOJohnson,
I use a dishrag, rather than sponges, for general cleaning. That way I can wash it in hot water and bleach and get lots of uses for each. A sponge is for cleaning the bathroom... and gets tossed.

For my face... I just use my hands. Unfortunately those can't be microwaved.

We live in works awash in microorganisms, I suspect that most of the things people worry about are pretty unimportant in the larger scheme of things.
0 Replies

RichardOJohnson

Reply Thu 3 May, 2018 07:39 am
@maxdancona,
To toss your sponges after each use is in my view a needless expense. If you don't want to microwave them, you can safely use paper towels.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 3 May, 2018 08:16 am
@RichardOJohnson,
I don't like the idea of sticking something I used to clean the toilet into the microwave I use to prepare food. But that's just me.
0 Replies