Is it bad for your lungs to breathe in icy cold air?

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 12:24 am
I hate hot weather and I love taking walks when it's cold outside, and especially when it's raining. I do bring an umbrella of course, and no I'm not crazy... the air is just so much FRESHER and the world looks lovlier. Smile
I was wondering, though, if I don't walk, but jog or run when it's cold outside, or for instance, if I go to the snowy mountains and run up the hill so I could sled down, does the sharp, icy air that I breathe into my lungs cross out the advantages of jogging? Is it not that great for a person's body if they breathe in such cold air often?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 6,384 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Philis

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 03:20 am
@RadAndRandom,
Bad.....no. Icy cold air is good for you. Very Happy
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 12:54 pm
If you are breathing through your nose, I can't see a problem as the air is warmed up and moistened by the time it gets to your lungs. If your jogging and breathing through your mouth, then the cold, dry air is hitting your throat and drying it out, making it vulnerable to infection. Whether it would do the same to your trachea and lungs is another question.
RadAndRandom

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 02:57 am
@coluber2001,
Oh. Interesting. Yeahh, I usually breathe with my mouth. Hmm.
0 Replies