Tbeaton

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 08:19 pm
I remember a show from the late '60s or early 70's where children awaiting adoption where shown and described. The Theme song was The Beatles "All You Need Is Love." Does anyone remember that show?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 24 • Views: 18,089 • Replies: 47
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 09:02 pm
Fascinating.

I have no idea but I want to read along in case someone else knows.

Those years before the passage of Roe v. Wade were strange years in adoption history in America. (Was this in America?) It's freaky to think there might have been an adoption show.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 09:11 pm
I found this:

Quote:
Written specifically (by most accounts) for the international television broadcast One World, shown in 17 countries around the world on July 25, 1967. The idea was to create the world's first international live broadcast using then-new satllite technology. The group were approached to write and perform a new song for the live telecast; in two weeks, John Lennon came up with this song, supposedly constructed around a word every language understood: love. (Reports differ on whether the song was actually written prior to the offer, or whether Paul McCartney also attempted to create a song for the event.)

Here: http://oldies.about.com/od/thebeatlessongs/a/allyouneedlove.htm
Tbeaton

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 09:40 pm
@boomerang,
Thanks for the reply, but I don't think that is it. This played on (I am pretty sure) Sunday Afternoons in Southwestern Ontario, Canada. I have been through all available Canadian TV data bases and have come up short. It may have been out of Detroit or Ohio, possibly US Public Broadcasting.
jejabean

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 11:29 am
It was called A Child is Waiting and it had tons of Native children on it. I watched it from the U.S, we got it from Windsor...
Tbeaton

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 05:46 pm
@jejabean,
Thanks for your response. It is coming clearer now. Will have to do some more research. Thanks.
terencetrent

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 01:14 pm
@Tbeaton,
I have been trying to think of the name of the show or find a video clip for ages!! I remember watching that when I was really little, around 1974 or something. Hope you find out what it was and post it here!
lyn68

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 08:38 pm
@Tbeaton,
I found this as I was on the internet trying to find out the name also! I watched it in Toronto in the 70's and then the theme song was Stevie Wonders "You Are the Sunshine of My Life". I knew the darn name 10 years ago but over the last so many years lost the memory...driving me nuts. I know it wasn't A Child Is Waiting (there's a movie by that name and maybe a U.S show?) .
phivekali

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 09:16 pm
@Tbeaton,
I remember climbing out of my crib and turning on the tv and this show would be on. It was on early in the morning because my parents were still in bed. I must have been only about 2.5 so that must have been 1971. Strangely enough I knew it was about adoption (although I wouldn't have understood the word). I remember a sad boy sitting with two adults who were talking about him and I knew he was going to be going to live with new parents. I remember being scared it would happen to me.
0 Replies

provada

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 08:31 pm
@Tbeaton,
I know your posted question is a couple of years old, but i am wondering if you ever found out the name of the show? i was talking about the show today, remembering watching it from the group home i lived in when i was a kid, and wanting to be on it to find a family...but thinking it was a little weird at the same time. I had a t-shirt at one point from the group home/CAS with "all you need is love" on the back...promoting adoption. kinda have mixed feelings about it all now as an adult.
0 Replies

gracetoo

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 03:04 pm
@Tbeaton,
I remember that show!! I have been trying to find info on it too, so I really have nothing concrete to add. I was very little watching this show and I remember how sad I was for the children. I cannot hear that song without getting very sad to this day.
0 Replies

kittredge

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 05:09 pm
@Tbeaton,
I was just looking for that info after listening to "all you need is love" song, I do remember watching it at my Nanas house in the later 60's we didn't have tv, we lived in the out in the country in northern Ontario. I still remember the mans voice, and I think he is a weatherman on a east coast station, his names on the tip of my tongue, driving me nuts.
Gina149

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 06:27 pm
@Tbeaton,
My brother and I were on that show in 1973. Basically, our social worker was interviewed by the host and talked about us while we played on the floor in front of them. The reason I know this, is after we were adopted, we happened to see the re-run of our show!!!
Funny, I work with a girl now who's family was looking to adopt, and they used to watch the show as well. We are from southwestern Ontario.
0 Replies

Wendelyn

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2013 10:51 am
I was trying to remember the name of this show you are talking about as I was was just telling a co-worker of mine about it. It was recorded in Toronto live on Sunday afternoons in the late 60's early 70's. I know this because I was on it with my younger foster sister whom was up for adoption. I do not remember the name of the show but yes the song was All YOU NEED IS LOVE.
Ron41

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 09:59 pm
@Wendelyn,
the name of the show was the family finder and its existence seems to be wiped for what ever reason , I was also adopted out in the early 60s ,,,good luck!
0 Replies

Ron41

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2014 04:23 pm
@terencetrent,
I remember the show from the early 70s ,, it was called the family finder and its total existence has been wiped . The privacy act I guess . I was also adopted out in the early 60s so good luck!!!!
0 Replies

karma1911

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 07:58 am
@kittredge,
hello kitt i was on the show the name your looking for is dave devall.

i was a resident of york cottage at the time.
0 Replies

just1me

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2016 10:35 pm
@Tbeaton,
I was on that show, I believe it was about 1973 when I was about 9 years old .. It was called family finders.. And I sometimes think of the song " All you need is Love". I can still remember what I was wearing.. A long blue, red and white dress. I had searched for the show years ago and never found anything.. would be interesting to watch it when I appeared on it.. would of loved to have the tape of it.
0 Replies

just1me

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2016 10:45 pm
@Tbeaton,
The show was called " Family Finders". I was on that show back in 1973 when I was 9 years old. I can remember wearing a long dress with colors of blue, white and red. I tried searching for the show years ago and never found a thing. I wish I had a video of the day I was on the show.. I loved the song " All You Need Is Love" The show was the first time I had heard it. I also remember getting a gift for being on the show.. it was a doll head that you could do the hair in many ways.. played with it that day and never saw it when I returned to foster home. I remember drawing a pic and how scared I was. At that time I was living in Wilsonville just off of indian line. I was adopted the following year in St Catherines.
herlichka

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2016 04:30 pm
@just1me,
I was on that show with my two sisters, twice, in 1969 and then again in early 1971. It was called Family Finders, and was sponsored by Mattel Toys. It did air on Sunday afternoons, Monday was a long day at school, everyone knew about it. There were portraits taken on set, they were used for a newspaper column called 'Today's Child'.