JudeP

1  
Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 02:06 pm
@kittredge,
OMG Dave Duvall was the weather man who also hosted the adoption show.

CynthiaAnnHerlichka

1  
Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 04:40 pm
@boomerang,
Family Finder was a TV show filmed at CFTO (Television station) in Toronto. My sister and I were on it 2 or 3 times (1969 to 1972). We were made to sing and dance, read out loud or any number of things to showcase your abilities and/or intelligence. I was quite shy of the camera but it was always fun. Nothing ever came of it for us but at the end of filming each show, we were aloud to pick a toy out of this HUGE box of really great toys. No cheap stuff for the children on that show.

ehBeth

1  
Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 04:46 pm
http://playbackonline.ca/2001/03/05/cftoadsupplement-20010305/

Devall recalls co-hosting a 1960s show, Family Finder that typifies the continuing legacy of CFTO’s ‘family feeling’ and community involvement. The show profiled more than 100 orphaned kids each year and more than 90% were adopted. ‘Years after the show stopped, I met a chef in a downtown restaurant who had been adopted on our show,’ he says. ‘He just wanted to say thanks.’

CynthiaAnnHerlichka

2  
Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 06:39 pm
@boomerang,
Family Finder was a TV show filmed at CFTO (Television station) in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Their mission was to help children who are up for adoption find loving parents. Sadly, my parents were killed in a car accident January 1967, and we, my brother 6 years old, my sister 5 years old and myself, 3 years old, were placed with the Catholic Childrens Aid Society, Hamilton Ontario. My sister and I were on Family Finder 2 or 3 times (1969 to 1973). We were asked to sing and dance, read out loud or any number of things to showcase our abilities and/or intelligence. I was quite shy of the camera but it was always fun. Nothing ever came of it for us, but at the end of filming each show, we were aloud to pick a toy out of this HUGE box of really great toys. No cheap stuff for the children on that show. I just read in the comments that Family Finder was sponsored by a toy company. That makes perfect sense to me. Anyway Boomerang, I hope this helps!

lyniehall2001

1  
Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 11:00 am
@Tbeaton,
I know that show because I was on it. The studio was in Toronto and they had the camera on this stage and we sat on the floor in a make-shift living room environment and they talked about the kids in the 3rd person. They asked us a couple of questions but I don't recall the actual questions. I was a Native child and was taken off the reservation and Children's Aid Society wanted to get me adopted. This happened around 1970.

lyniehall2001

1  
Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2016 05:46 pm
@boomerang,
There was an adoption show. They showcased us on a Canadian network and people called in and I don't know if we were auctioned off to the highest bidder but I was picked by a fairly rich family ... only to find out they wanted me as a hired hand on their farm lol

lyniehall2001

1  
Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2016 06:00 pm
@jejabean,
They must have had 2 shows. I was on Family Finders in 1969. I know the name was Family Finders because that was something I was never going to forget. And yes, I saw that there were alot of Native children on this show too. I never saw that show A Child is Waiting.

lyniehall2001

1  
Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2016 06:02 pm
@lyn68,
The show that I was on was Family Finders - this was in 1968 and we were herded onto the show's stage and they made it look like a living room with toys and chesterfields spread out. They asked us a couple questions to see how intelligent we were I think. We were so very shy though. And the music that played was All you Need is Love----by the Beatles..

Ron W

1  
Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2016 05:37 pm

Read more: http://playbackonline.ca/2001/03/05/cftoadsupplement-20010305/#ixzz4QmcAM3bM

JKer

1  
Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2017 08:24 am
@Tbeaton,
Yes I do. Was just talking to my wife about it. It was on every Sunday morning. Trying to remember if this was a Canadian Broadcast or American as I lived in Windsor, Ontario across from Detroit Michigan.

LondonGirl

1  
Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2017 11:00 am
@herlichka,
I recall seeing a clip from this show here in the UK when I was a teenager or in my early twenties. I particularly recall a boy called Leland, standing smiling while the host of the show put his arm around him and introduced him to the audience. I hope he and all the others found good homes and lived happy lives.

sunset1945

0  
Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2018 11:08 am
@Tbeaton,
Have you had any luck? I am preparing a speech about the 60s scoop and would like some footage. We adopted in the 70s.

herlichka

2  
Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2018 10:53 am
@Tbeaton,
It was called Family Finder. It was produced at CFTO studios in Toronto, a CTV affiliate. Hosted by Dave Duval, and a lady whose name escapes me. Sponsored by Mattell toys, every child went home with a selection of toys. There was a syndicated companion newspaper article called "Today's Child" which was featured in newspapers across Canada. The format was to have the hosts interview the child's caseworker while the camera occasionally panned over to the child playing with the toys, or colouring, and then the child was interviewed briefly. My sisters and I were on the show twice. We were told it was for 'hard to place' children, we were to be adopted together, and there were three of us, and we were 7, 9 and 10 years old.